Only wants to eat people food

Stellamom

Jan 13, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
My 10.5 month old Bully, Stella won't eat dog food at all. Help!!!

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sometimes you have to change the protein to see if they like it better, or add some flavoring to it. We had a bully that all of a sudden they didn't like the food, so we put a little Feta cheese in the food and they scarfed it up. So you might try that, plus there are other flavoring a you can get at petsmart or petco. Plus do not give them people food at all. Unless you scrabble some eggs to add to their food.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
If you want your Stella to develop properly DO NOT FEED people food!
What kibble are you trying to feed her now (that she's not eating)...I
can then, advise you properly. Under the Forum (top left of page) there
are chapters on food ratings, nutrition, etc...read the articles~excellent
advice there. Let us know further :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi you've already gotten some great advice from David and Carol. You can also try adding 1/2 cup of warm water to the kibble. I have always done this, it makes a kind of gravy, and since mine don't always drink a lot of water, I feel better knowing they're getting some extra water. You can add some natural toppers like broccoli, cooked carrots, hard boiled egg, plain unsweetened yogurt, or green beans. If Stella still only likes people food, don't just feed her table scraps, but you could home cook her food. There are a lot of good homemade dog food recipes on the forum.

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hi you've already gotten some great advice from David and Carol. You can also try adding 1/2 cup of warm water to the kibble. I have always done this, it makes a kind of gravy, and since mine don't always drink a lot of water, I feel better knowing they're getting some extra water. You can add some natural toppers like broccoli, cooked carrots, hard boiled egg, plain unsweetened yogurt, or green beans. If Stella still only like people food, don't just feed her table scraps, but you could home cook her food. There are a lot of good homemade dog food recipes on the forum.

Great idea, Monica...homemade dog food...just know you must put Stella on a great
multi-Vit like NuVets so they are getting proper nutrients. Warming their food is a great
idea as it stimulates them thru smell. I add 1/2 cup water (you could use watered down
broth) to Cami's cup of TOTW dry kibble & 1/2 cup canned beans then micro for 30 secs.
I've taken care of 3 bullies and have added toppers to their food to get them to eat. A few
healthy & tasty toppers are 2 sardines (water or olive oil packed) 1 TBSP cottage cheese,
1 TBSP greek yogurt or kefir, 1 very soft boiled egg or very lightly scrambled or 1 tsp of
coconut oil (it's a solid)...all healthy and they love the taste of these!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Or you can try topping her kibbles with canned dog food.

But yeah, dogs are opportunistic feeders. If you continually give your dog people food while you're eating, he's going to wait for dinner and bark and beg for food which is going to be super annoying as well as encouraging him to not eat his dog food to wait for better opportunities for people food.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I learned it the harsh way - sometimes they can be bored with their food ,so a small change of flavor should help
my advice - pikey eatters are not born -they are created by us
when my girls refuse to eat -even when a change of flavor - i leave their bowls 15 minutes and take them away, after a day or 2 - their appetites are back to normal ...Sometimes it might take longer if a dog is used to the fact he will refuse to eat anything and you give him a human food (mine done it)
My vet told me once - no healthy dog will starve himself .

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.