Food Confusion or Another Royal Canin Question

Kathy Henry

Dec 10, 2013
Aurora, IL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Pugsley
So I've read all the food articles on this site as well as others and have read I don't know how many threads about food and I'm still confused. So basically my question is WHY is Royal Canin bad? I've seen so many people say that its not good but I've never seen a reason why. So I found the ingredients for the bulldog royal canin food and I compared it to the article "Understanding Dog Food Labels". As far as I can see, none of the ingredients found in royal canin is on the 'bad ingredients' list. What am I missing? I really want to understand this and I"m having trouble finding the facts. If anyone can shed some light for me that would be great.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...g-Dog-Food-Labels-and-Finding-Bad-Ingredients

http://www.royalcanin.us/products/products/dog-products/breed-health-nutrition/bulldog-242

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am not a food expert but what I do know is that the ingredients list of food labels is listed by the largest quantity first then descending to lower quantities of each subsequent ingredient on the list. You always want to go with a food that had a good protein listed as the first ingredient and not protein meal, corn, grains or protein byproducts. Plus many bullies are allergic to chicken and chicken byproducts and the first ingredient of the RC label you linked is Chicken Meal and the 7th ingredient is Chicken fat. Looking at the rest with rice as the second ingredient and Oat groats as the 4th you are looking at grains that some bullies are allergic to as well. So when I see this label to me it says to me that the food is mostly byproducts and grains and not proteins and other good items for my pup.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't know about the ingredients issue, but we tried Bella on Royal Canin years ago & her issue was the shape of the kibble. She had a hard time getting them down...

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I have never fed my dogs this brand so can't speak about it personally, but are you currently feeding this to your dog? If the answer is yes, then my question is how is the dog fairing on it? If your dog seems to do well with it then that is a good criterion. Below is the ingredients and with a casual glance I don't see much to quarrel with if your dog is doing well with this kibble.

Ingredients
Chicken meal, rice, brown rice, oat groats, pork meal, rice flour, chicken fat, natural chicken flavor, dried beet pulp, soy protein isolate, fish oil, vegetable oil, sodium silico aluminate, salt, calcium carbonate, fructooligosaccharides, potassium chloride, sodium tripolyphosphate, L-tyrosine, DL-methionine, taurine, potassium citrate, egg product, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), trace minerals (zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), tea, chondroitin sulfate, rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

I don't particular care for the soy protein but that may be a minor issue for some

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lisa can explain this all to you the best.... basically boils down to the first 5 to 6 ingredients are the most important and have the biggest impact on your baby. So, if these are rice, meal, corn.... it is not a good food, it is all filler. Your first ingredient should always be the protien (beef, chicken, pork, etc)
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
My female bully is on RC and does good with it. My boy bully does not do good with RC. I guess it would depend on their reaction to it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
There is so much rice in that food!! Rice, Brown Rice and Rice flour....

What I don't like most is the claim that the shape of the food is specific to bulldogs to help cut down the farts... Well the pieces are choking hazards because many bulldogs don't even bother with chewing, and with all of that rice the gas is tremendous.

Then there is the price of the food. You can get food with similar ingredients for half the price or less than what they charge.

Some bullies do perfectly fine on this food, but not as far as nutritional value and getting the most bang for your buck this food is a huge thumbs down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kathy Henry

Dec 10, 2013
Aurora, IL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Pugsley
Thanks for your advise. I do not have a dog yet but I am adopting a puppy in the spring. I'm trying to research and be as prepared as possible before I get one. All this food stuff is so confusing. I didn't realize that rice or chicken meal was bad. Do you have a suggestion of a food that has more "band for my buck"? I know a lot people here feed Fromms but It seems so expensive. How much per serving does an adult bulldog eat on Fromm's?

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
I can only speak from my experience with Royal Canin. When I was feeding Mayhem this brand, his poops were very soft and he went at least 5-6 times a day. After making the switch to Fromm's, his poops are firm and he normally only poops twice a day.

To answer your question about quantity, with Fromm's I only feed him 1 cup, 2 times a day, for a total of 2 cups.

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
I feed Hulk Taste of the Wild bison and venison puppy and he's done great on it since we got him. We'll be switching him to an adult version when he's older.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks for your advise. I do not have a dog yet but I am adopting a puppy in the spring. I'm trying to research and be as prepared as possible before I get one. All this food stuff is so confusing. I didn't realize that rice or chicken meal was bad. Do you have a suggestion of a food that has more "band for my buck"? I know a lot people here feed Fromms but It seems so expensive. How much per serving does an adult bulldog eat on Fromm's?

I can only speak from my experience with Royal Canin. When I was feeding Mayhem this brand, his poops were very soft and he went at least 5-6 times a day. After making the switch to Fromm's, his poops are firm and he normally only poops twice a day.

To answer your question about quantity, with Fromm's I only feed him 1 cup, 2 times a day, for a total of 2 cups.

Yep same here. Rice or chicken isn't necessarily bad, but chicken is considered a "hot" protein (as well as the cheapest) which means many dog breeds are allergic to it. Rice is a filler and is just calories. Rice as one ingredient is fine, or further down the list in weight, but rice as 3 ingredients says it's mostly rice.

A bag of RC is about $50-$60, Fromm Chicken a la veg is about the same price, maybe a little more. It also has rice, but not until the 7th/8th ingredient.... first two ingredients are Chicken/Chicken Meal. RC had rice as 2nd and 3rd ingredient which tells me MOST of the food is rice, since the order of ingredients goes listed by weight.

Also RC you would feed more per day.

With Fromm we also feed, twice a day, 3/4 cup to the adults over 3, 1 cup from age 2-3 and 1.25-1.5 cups for adolescents. Puppies we feed Fromm puppy and they get what is needed depending on age and poop consistency. Less poops, less food per feeding, doesn't make a huge difference in cost in the long run.

If you are looking for a GREAT food, with lower cost, I would recommend Nature's Logic. :up:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.