Treats For Bella: Pig Ears, Oinkies, Pedigree Dentastix

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So basically I was wondering what you guys did for treats at the early stages. Bella's 19 weeks, and lately I have been feeding her Duralife treats for dogs. I made a few purchases at Walmart and Menards the other day, and picked up some pig ears (which she seemed to enjoy...later she looked drained and tired, however), some Oinkies stuffed Bacon treats that I have yet to let her try, and the Pedigree Dentastix which she is gassy on but seems to also enjoy. Basically, I was wondering what the majority english bulldog owners feed there healthy companions when it comes to a treat for doing something good. Any tips, thoughts on these products, or insight and knowledge on these products would be greatly appreciated, as I plan on not feeding her anymore pig ears as it seemed to upset her the next day. That or she was just being moody!

Thanks in advance!:)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We stay away from ears, hooves, and rawhides, as they are choking hazards as well as any treats made in China or that are processed food stuffs. We give green beans, yogurt, kefir, bananas, cantaloupe, watermelon, grain free Fromms and Orijen treats and things like that.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/Todd…be wary of the chews. We give our dogs moose or elk antlers, grain-free treats, and stuffed Kongs.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
all natural PB in a kong, chunks of low fat string cheese, frozen green beans, wellness jerky treats in a bag (grain free), or just pieces of her kibble! to occupy her toothy little puppy mouth we used many of the puppy chews made by kong, the bones, and this chew called bacon fish, or maybe it was just a fish flavored like bacon. she went through two of those, one of her favorites. as her adult teeth came in though, we had to give her stronger chews.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the others.... I also use marrow bones - once a week and they love them. Once done, I clean and stuff with banana or peanut butter and freeze for a treat later

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with everyone on what they give, I would steer clear of the pig ears, we've had pugs that we gave them to and it really upset their stomachs. Grain free treats are what we give mostly.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Agreed. Also, a softened pig ear/rawhide can easily get caught in their throat. They are choking hazards-besides being prone to giving tummy upsets. I wouldn't give any "edible" treat to them while unsupervised, either.

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks for all the information guys! I went to the pet store today and picked up some Wilderness Trail Grain Free Turkey Dog Treats -----> http://www.petflow.com/product/blue-buffalo/blue-buffalo-wilderness-trail-treats-turkey-biscuits

After talking with the Petco employee for quite a bit, he recommended something crunchy for Bella's teeth, and suggested almost anything from Blue Buffalo was the way to go. I also am switching her food to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy mix and picked up a bag so naturally I thought this was the way to go!!! (Stick with the same brand!)

I will probably end up throwing out the pig ears, Oinkies bacon wraps, and keeping the dentastix, but perhaps switching brands on those later on, too. I may give the pig ears and Oinkies to my uncle who has a little bigger dog that can handle the crunchiness of the pig ears, and tolerate the fatty treats better, as I believe he has a Chow.

Thanks again for the insight and info! I am curious later to try the natural foods as well such as yogurts and string cheese. I every now and then give her a spoon full of peanut butter on her treat!! Not sure if this is okay but she seems to enjoy it. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for all the information guys! I went to the pet store today and picked up some Wilderness Trail Grain Free Turkey Dog Treats -----> http://www.petflow.com/product/blue-buffalo/blue-buffalo-wilderness-trail-treats-turkey-biscuits

After talking with the Petco employee for quite a bit, he recommended something crunchy for Bella's teeth, and suggested almost anything from Blue Buffalo was the way to go. I also am switching her food to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy mix and picked up a bag so naturally I thought this was the way to go!!! (Stick with the same brand!)

I will probably end up throwing out the pig ears, Oinkies bacon wraps, and keeping the dentastix, but perhaps switching brands on those later on, too. I may give the pig ears and Oinkies to my uncle who has a little bigger dog that can handle the crunchiness of the pig ears, and tolerate the fatty treats better, as I believe he has a Chow.

Thanks again for the insight and info! I am curious later to try the natural foods as well such as yogurts and string cheese. I every now and then give her a spoon full of peanut butter on her treat!! Not sure if this is okay but she seems to enjoy it. :)

Peanut butter is fine... I stuff Kongs, freeze it and give as a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.