Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Mix For 19 Week Year Old Bella? Good or Bad???

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So I'm thinking about making the switch from Pedigree Puppy mix to Blue Buffalo and was wondering if anyone started there English Bully's on this diet at the early stages before. Basically, I would like an insight from maybe someone who fed there bulldog this before I make a purchase. I read in the review for food article posted not to long ago that it's ranked about a 4 star which is acceptable in my book (Pedigree is a 1...YIKES!!!) and just wanted to know if anyone uses this and there thoughts on the mix.

There are many positive reviews on PetFlow on the brand, and am weary since this is my first big switch in Bella's diet. The link can be located her: http://www.petflow.com/product/blue-buffalo/blue-buffalo-wilderness-puppy-chicken-recipe-dry-food

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Bryan

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Bryan, you're definetely making the right choice to switch her from the pedigree, which is not considered a very good food, to the Blue Buffalo. This brand is a better choice, as you want to be feeding your dog a 4 Star or higher brand. I don't personally have any experience with Blue Buffalo, but I have heard that it is a good food. The dog food ratings forum lists it as a 4 Star. Many other members on here feed their dogs the Blue Buffalo. Other 4 Star or better foods are Wellness, Orijen, and Fromm's, and any of these would be good choices. It is best to keep Bella on a puppy formula, until she is 6 or 7 months old, as the puppy foods provide the extra calories, minerals and vitamins that support the rapid growth and development of a puppy. When she is 6 or 7 months old, you can switch her to an adult formula. A lot of members including me feed our guys the Fromm's brand, this food is considered an all stages food, so can be used for all stages, and all of their flavours can be changed and interchanged without having to do a slow transition. They do have a Puppy formula in a pink bag as well. When you make a food switch, it's best to do a slow transition, to minimize any stomach upset issues. The best way to transition to a new food is to mix 1/4 of the new food with 3/4 of the old food, for 1 week , then mix 1/2 old food with 1/2 new food for 1 week, until finally it's all new food. This process should take 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. It takes about a month before you will notice any changes as it takes this long for the old food to leave their systems. Finding a food that is both nutritional, and that your dog tolerates is sometimes a frustrating thing, it just takes patience and consistency. It took me 4 food switches before I found one that both my guys tolerated. My female Blossom has a lot of allergies, she is allergic to chicken, which a lot of EB have issues with chicken, she is also allergic to salmon, corn, and grains. I tried Go Natural, but it was too rich, so both of my guys got the diarrhea, then we tried Fromm's Beef Frittata, and they have been on this brand for over a year now, and they are both doing amazing on this food. Good luck with finding a food that Bella tolerates, but you can't go wrong if you choose one of the 4 Star or higher brands. I'm sure somebody who feeds their dog Blue Buffalo will come along soon, and can give you more information, advice, and their experience with this food.

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had both of my bullies on Blue Buffalo, and at first everything seemed fine… but then I noticed loose stools and terrible GAS!!! :bad: It was REALLY bad...

When I joined EBN, I made the switch to Fromm's… and the gas disappeared. Food is a very complicated journey, every bully is different and some have more allergies than others. I have my boxer on Earthborn right now & she is doing fantastic on that… I would check the petfoodadvisor.com and check out their ratings. I have our food delivered by PetFlow since it's not offered in my area. Good Luck ;)

christine3381

Dec 27, 2013
We switched our pup from Eukanuba to Fromm's puppy (pink bag) over a 10 day period. He seemed good for a few days but now is having runny stool. Any suggestions on how long to continue with the Fromm's to see if he's adjusting? And any suggestions on other foods to try if this isn't agreeing with our Gunner's tummy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
UPDATE: Bought an 11 oz bag of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy mix as posted above. I mixed 1/4 cup with her current Pedigree puppy mix and will continue this until next Monday when I will start going 50/50, and then ultimately all Buffalo Blue Wilderness after a couple weeks. I'll let you know how she reacts but from what I'm reading these brand seems to generally get really positive reviews!!! The guy at Petco tried selling me some Royal Canine Puppy mix and I literally was back and forth at the store for 30 minutes trying to decide, and ultimately went with my gut and initial choice! Thanks for the insights everyone!!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
UPDATE: Bought an 11 oz bag of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy mix as posted above. I mixed 1/4 cup with her current Pedigree puppy mix and will continue this until next Monday when I will start going 50/50, and then ultimately all Buffalo Blue Wilderness after a couple weeks. I'll let you know how she reacts but from what I'm reading these brand seems to generally get really positive reviews!!! The guy at Petco tried selling me some Royal Canine Puppy mix and I literally was back and forth at the store for 30 minutes trying to decide, and ultimately went with my gut and initial choice! Thanks for the insights everyone!!!

Bryan...Welcome to EBN...Bella is too precious, how many cuddles does she get daily?
HAHAHA...I know...who can count that high?!! I think Monica
@Vikinggirl
gave great
advice...you did GOOD by not going with Royal Canine *shudder* and Bella should do
well on your food schedule. Let us know how she continues to do and give us more pics
please :) My late Hubby was from Indianapolis, IN...great men up there <3

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I did. Went from breeders food (puppy chow) to Blue Wilderness Puppy. My boy did fine w/the transition so far (we are still transitioning). Only thing I've noticed have been the occasional "soft serve" poop (but he was doing that on his first food too) and tear stains. Waiting until he is completely off breeders food to see if that clears up. Good luck!

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I've had Tucker on Blue Wilderness since he was a little puppy. He does well on it. Keep in mind that you will probably need to feed less of this higher caliber food. It is very high in protein and Calcium. Tucker only got 1.5 cups a day over 2 feedings because he couldn't properly digest any more. At 8 months I was able to bump up to 2 cups. Blue Wilderness is actually a 6 star food according to the dogfood rating page.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
So I'm thinking about making the switch from Pedigree Puppy mix to Blue Buffalo and was wondering if anyone started there English Bully's on this diet at the early stages before. Basically, I would like an insight from maybe someone who fed there bulldog this before I make a purchase. I read in the review for food article posted not to long ago that it's ranked about a 4 star which is acceptable in my book (Pedigree is a 1...YIKES!!!) and just wanted to know if anyone uses this and there thoughts on the mix.

There are many positive reviews on PetFlow on the brand, and am weary since this is my first big switch in Bella's diet. The link can be located her: http://www.petflow.com/product/blue-buffalo/blue-buffalo-wilderness-puppy-chicken-recipe-dry-food

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Bryan

I'm not expert, but I've been doing my fair share of reading and you are definitely making a great move!!! Welcome, this place is the best. I've been learning so much in this past week I got my Ace.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I had my dogs (non EBs) forever on Blue Wilderness but when I got my EB he's poop never adjusted after 2 months on it. So I switched them to Fromms pork and Peas and within a week his poop was the perfect firmness. I've heard that Blue Wilderness is very rich which causes looser stools- not sure if that's true but the switch did him well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.