kika414

Jan 9, 2014
Bay area, California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Paxton
Hello fellow bully lovers!

I am brand new to this community and look forward to connecting with other bulldog owners. I am in need of some advice for my guy, Paxton. Please help us....:confused:

He is 5 years old and was diagnosed 4 months ago with Cystine urea or Cystine crystals in his urine which cause cystine stones to collect in the bladder. He had a cystostomy (prcedure to open bladder to remove stones and flush out urethra) and he was also neutered at that time. I have done a lot of research into this and know that it is a genetic problem that causes protein that cannot be broken down to amino acids enough so that crystals develop in the urine and after time clump together forming stones. The goal with this condition is to keep the urine pH high >7.0 and to have him drink plenty of water and frequent potty breaks. Regular urine pH testing, and ultrasounds of his bladder is also done. The Vet prescribed Hills U/D diet for him and am NOT thrilled to have him stay on this diet for life, but do not want him to suffer through another surgery again!!! Some experts recommend feeding an ultra-low protein diet. I have heard that certain Urinary prescription diets can cause large breed dogs to develop cardiomyopathy from a diet high in carbs low in protein.

Shortly before his diagnosis we had switched him from Royal Canin after 4 years because he started developing allergies (formula change) to Fromm's grain free "beef frittata." His allergies improved, he loved the Fromm food but about 7 months later he developed the stones. I don't know if this was a coincidence or because the grain free formula from Fromm is high in protein and it exacerbated his problem....

So I am in need of some advice from bully owners that may have had an experience with this or ANY advice on how to get my guy a better diet while keeping in mind his cystine-stone bladder problems!!! I do NOT want to keep him on the Hills U/D prescription diet for much longer, even if I have to keep him on it but infusing it and substituting a portion of it with healthy bulldog nutrition he deserves!

Sorry for my lengthy post, but Paxton and his momma appreciate any help!:blush2:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome y'all...gonna love this friendly, fun & helpful group.

I know of this problem and commend you to look for better diet
than this one altho, short time, it's okay for now. Let me tag a
member w/nutritional advice & experience w/stones.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. Under Forums there are
many great articles on diet & this condition. GOD bless!

@Twice

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You may want to consider homemade or look into The Honest Kitchen brand foods.
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] or [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] any suggestions?

BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I am so sorry to hear this. Bless his heart. I really don't have any advice, but wanted you to know he will be in my prayers. Keep us updated. Vet wanted to put my dog on Science Hill diet food. His skin was good on it, but I've heard it's not good for him. So, I will be watching your post.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry your baby has this condition, my boy has hyperuricosuria and we've gone through a surgery too, so I've been there. Google dogaware cystine to get great info.

OP
K

kika414

Jan 9, 2014
Bay area, California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Paxton
Thank you all for your tips! I am very interested in doing homecooking but I'm afraid that I may not provide him with the recommended amounts of vitamins, minerals, and ratio of fats/protein/carbs.... I will keep researching the websites you guys have recommended!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.