General Question New puppy is home. What is a good start her on first?

mybullymiley

Jan 6, 2014
Kent Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
The breeder didn't send her with much and I think what she sent wasn't the best quality. I have read a thousand dog food reviews and I am truly more confused than when I started. I was going to go with blue buffalo, but after reading several posts on here it seems like Fromms pork and peas is a popular food. I really want to avoid tear stains as much as possible and find a good that will give the proper nutrition for optimal growth.

I am open to all suggestions, opinions, and advice. I am a true newbie but I can tell this site is a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks in advance

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN Gabriel!!! I started my puppy out on the Fromm's 4 star puppy food, and he loved it… make sure you change his food gradually over several days. They can get diarrhea pretty easily when you change their food too quickly. We would love to see pics of your Miley!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome4:Hi Gabriel, and welcome to EBN to you and Miley. You'll love this site, it's a wealth of information and advice, and there are a lot of great people on here always willing to share advice, experience, and to answer your questions. I'm looking forward to seeing more of you on here, and seeing pictures of Miley. Our two guys came from the breeder on Royal Canin, and knew this was not the best food, and as it turned out my female Blossom has a lot of allergies to chicken, salmon, grains and corn. We switched their food 4 times before trying Fromms Beef Frittata, and both my guys are doing great on this food. You can read the dog food ratings on the nutrition forum to see which foods are a better quality. You want to feed a dog food brand that is rated a 4 Star or better. Fromms, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Orijen, are all examples of 4 to 6 Star brands of dog food. You should keep your puppy on a puppy formula until she is 6 or 7 months old, because puppy formulas provide the extra calories, vitamins and minerals for the rapid growth and development that puppies need. When she is 6 or 7 months old, you can switch her to an adult formula. We fed our puppies 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day, until we switched to adult food, and then reduced their feedings to 1 cup twice a day. Fromms has a puppy formula in a pink bag, and they have 4 adult formulas, all their foods are an all stages food, and can be changed without having to do a slow transition when changing.

OP
mybullymiley

mybullymiley

Jan 6, 2014
Kent Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
Thanks! All helpful replies. Fromms sounds like a good food to start with. I will post some pics of Miley as soon as I figure out how.

OP
mybullymiley

mybullymiley

Jan 6, 2014
Kent Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
Might be too soon to tell but Miley stool is still normal after a day and a half of fromm's gold puppy food. The breeder didn't send much of the other kibble that she had been on. I have just been trying half fromms and half the first food. The only thing I have noticed she only eats about 1/2 cup 3 times a day. Should she be eating more? She is playing fine and seems happy as a clam.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Gabriel, when my two guys were puppies I fed them 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day, morning, afternoon, and evening, until they were 7 months old, then we switched them to an adult kibble, and reduced their feedings to 1 cup twice a day, once in the morning, and once in the evening. You can switch to adult food at 6 or 7 months of age. We feed our guys Fromms Beef Frittata.

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Hulks 5 months and get 3/4-1 cup 3x/day. We gradually have increased the amount and base if it's ok to increase on his stool. We can definitely tell if he's getting too much by his loose stools. When we got him at 11 weeks we gave 1/3-1/2 c 3x per day. More than that for Hulk caused loose stools. All bullies are different in their requirements so just closely monitor her and her stool to see how she's doing with the amount. With higher quality foods you don't have to feed them as much as you would with lower quality foods.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
At 5 months I increased Rocco's food to 3 cups per day. Before that was 1.5 cups per day

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.