I need advice for this puppy food i am feeding my puppy please. This is a UK manufacturer only!

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hi all, i live in the uk and i live near a dog food supplier who specializes in producing "quality" dog food. I would just like to know if i am feeding my boy a decent quality dry food. here is the full ingredients -

Natural Puppy FoodMade from a minimum 36% real chicken, CSJ Puppy contains only natural, high quality ingredients.

This feed is specially formulated to meet your puppy's nutritional needs. It is tasty and easy to feed - it can be soaked with warm water for introduction as a weaning food from about 3 weeks of age or fed dry to older pups.
CSJ Puppy is also a suitable feed for whelping bitches.

Suitable For

Weaning puppies
Young puppies
Whelping bitches

Composition

Chicken Meal, Wheat, Maize, Chicken Fat, Prairie Meal, Rice, Salmon Oil, Unmolassed Beet Pulp, Full Fat Linseed, Salt, Yeast, Potassium Chloride

Analytical Constituents

Protein 28%
Oil 14%
Fibre 2%
Ash 6%

Additives

Natural antioxidants

Nutritional Additives

Vitamin A/E672 16,800iu/kg
Vitamin D/E671 1,570iu/kg
Vitamin E/3a700 235mg/kg
Iron Sulphate Monohydrate 75mg/kg
Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 30mg/kg
Manganous Oxide 70mg/kg
Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 365mg/kg
Sodium Selenite 0.5mg/kg

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I need advice for this puppy food i am feeding my puppy please. This is a UK ...

I usually go for food that is grain free you cant do wrong (most bullies suffer with allergies ,so even if they dont i still prefer grain free)
From what i read on the forums csj is not overly good food-if that was my choice instead of csj i would use wainwrights grain free range )
You can soak all the dried food anyway
Also the more meet % the better -if you look at brands that we can buy in uk like Orjen (grain free) they have a lot of meet percentage and less fillers

Also before i buy any food i study what they put in it and what some of the stuff mean for instance

Chicken meal (in CSJ)

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) defines meal as "the rendered product from mammal tissues, exclusive of any added blood, hair, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents."

Meal is produced through the process of rendering in which ingredients are ground, boiled, spun to remove the fat, and dried. After rendering, only about 10% water remains allowing the end product to consist largely of minerals and protein (about 50 - 65% protein).

While they can be an excellent source of nutrition and protein, not all meals are created equal.

When describing meal as an ingredient in dog food, the FDA's website states: "In addition to the processing, it could also contain parts of animals one would not think of as 'meat.'"

Another one

Prairie meal starts off as the same product as maize gluten but due to the unique way they are processed they are two very different ingredients in application. The level of oil extracted from both products varies considerably therefore providing two different products; the prairie meal has almost all of the oil extracted to leave a product of 62% protein."

Last edited:
OP
homeriscool

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Re: I need advice for this puppy food i am feeding my puppy please. This is a UK ...

I usually go for food that is grain free you cant do wrong (most bullies suffer with allergies ,so even if they dont i still prefer grain free)
From what i read on the forums csj is not overly good food-if that was my choice instead of csj i would use wainwrights grain free range )
You can soak all the dried food anyway
Also the more meet % the better -if you look at brands that we can buy in uk like Orjen (grain free) they have a lot of meet percentage and less fillers

Hi Pati, thanks for your response. can you reccomend any decent UK brands i should feed my puppy?

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
I need advice for this puppy food i am feeding my puppy please. This is a UK ...

Sorry i was editing my post give me few minutes i re edit it again

Last edited:

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
What is your budged first of all ? I know we want the best for our dogs but every one got different budget

OP
homeriscool

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hi again, roughly £7-£10 per week.... thanks again.

also he was eating Purina beta puppy food. is this a poor quality food?

Last edited:

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
If £10 a week thats roughly £40 a months -take a look at wainwrights grain free range at pets at home (its much better than purina )

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Pati has given you some great info. I usually tell people if one of the ingredients is corn (maize) put it back on the shelf. I like grain free food for my bullies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.