Bogey's Food Update

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Just before we left for Ct, Bogey developed a yeast infection in his ears. As some of you know, we have had a HORRIBLE time finding the right food for him due to digestive issues. After a couple of battles with my vet, she put him on Hills Science Diet WD, and lo and behold, his digestive issues resolved. I conformed, but not without telling her I would find a GOOD dog food that he could tolerate. Anyway, once the yeast appeared, I told her that was enough- no more 99% CORN based kibble! She was not happy, but caved in. Well, after ALOT of research, I found a kibble that was very similar in high fiber, low fat- Natural Balance Fat Dog formula! Bogey transitioned to it without a problem, and he is doing wonderful on it!! It is not completely grain free, but is wheat, corn and soy free. It has brown rice and barley as the filler. Poops are nice and firm and only 2-3 times a day. And the kicker- the ears cleared up!! Vet thought I was crazy blaming the corn on the yeast!! Moral: know your foods, be persistent and don't ever give up!!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks Mary for another great food to rec'comend.

Happy dear Bogey is doing well on it...YES to better nutrition!

Wheat, soy & corn are all BAD for man & beast now they are GMO.

Brown rice & barley are good unless specific allergies to them.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm so glad you finally found a good food for Bogey! That's awesome news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so happy for you that you found a food that Bogey tolerates, that's half the battle. It's very frustrating when our babies have allergies, sensitivities, digestive issues, or medical problems that require special diets, and we have to keep changing their foods until we find the one that's right for them, and that they tolerate. We had to change Blossoms food 4 times before we found Fromms Beef, she is allergic to chicken, salmon, grains and corn. She would get a red chin, face, chin acne, red goopy eyes, she would be really itchy, and she licked her paws a lot. I had to give her Benadryl, but now that she's on the Fromms, she is doing really well. I hope Bogey continues to improve and stays well on his new food.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Awesome.... that is great that you stuck in there and found something that works best for him and taught your vet a thing or two

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Hi Mary, so glad this worked for Bogey...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online