General Question Feeding Bella (14 week pup)

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So I recently received my little ball of treasure a few days ago before Christmas. I immediately went out the next day and purchased some Pedigree puppy nutrition mix. I was given half a bag of Old Yellar Chunk Style mix, but wanted to move on to Pedigree Puppy brand as I read this was a good brand. Her duties have been less runny looking, and harder, which I believe is a good thing (I think!). I have been mixing half a cup of the Old Yellar mix, and half a cup of the Pedigree Puppy mix, twice a day (morning and night) totaling two cups a day and the occasional dog treat if she does something correct (goes up stairs. potty's outside fast. etc.). I plan on doing this and within the next week the Old Yellar to run out and move completely to the Pedigree mix, as I believe this is the healthier route for her current stage. Anyways, I was wondering if there was any errors I was doing, as she seems fine, but any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You are on a good track for the transition.... keep in mind, you will most likely change food a few times beofre you find the exact match for your Bully. Food is a big factor in health of these babies.... sensitive tummies, allergies, skin issues all can be influenced by the food you feed.

Here is a great reference to help with possible changes done the road -- http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You are on a good track for the transition.... keep in mind, you will most likely change food a few times beofre you find the exact match for your Bully. Food is a big factor in health of these babies.... sensitive tummies, allergies, skin issues all can be influenced by the food you feed.

Here is a great reference to help with possible changes done the road -- http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings

Oh yes! Old Yellar and Pedigree are not the greatest foods. BUT some bullies don't have food problems-maybe you will be a lucky one!! Definitely check out the above list!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Bryan. Congratulations on your new baby, and welcome to EBN. The first thing I would recommend is that you look on the food and nutrition forum, and read the dog food ratings. It lists all the dog food brands and rates them from 1 to 6 Star foods. You want to feed your bully a 4 to 6 Star food, as the other brands are not as good nutritionally, and many contain too much corn, grains, and other fillers. Brands like Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, Old Yeller, and Pedigree, are not the best foods to feed your dog. Generally you should never buy your dog food from a grocery store, or a places like Walmart. Most EBN members feed their bullies Fromms Beef Frittata, as this is a 6 Star food, is corn and grain free, and a lot of bullies do really well on this food. A lot of EB are allergic or sensitive to chicken, salmon, and grains. Fromm's also has a puppy formula in a pink bag. You want to continue feeding a puppy formula until Bella is 6 or 7 months old, because puppy food contains the extra calories, vitamins and minerals that a puppy needs for their rapid growth and development. Other higher quality and rated foods are Blue Buffalo, Go, Wellness, their are many more on the forum, and you can look them up. For a puppy, it is best to feed them 3 equal amounts 3 times a day until the age of 6 or 7 months. We fed our guys 1 cup of Fromms kibble 3 times a day, 1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon, and 1 in the evening, then when they were 7 months old, we switched to the adult Fromms formula, and reduced the feedings to 1 cup of kibble twice a day, 1 cup in the morning, and 1 cup in the evening. We also give our guys some extra natural supplements such as we put 1 Tbsp. of plain unsweetened yogurt on their kibble in the morning, it provides a food source of probiotics, which is excellent for digestion, and it boosts the immune system, we add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water, there a lot of benefits to ACV, it is a natural anti inflammatory, so reduces disease, it balances the Ph levels of the blood, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, we also rinse their bodies with ACV and warm water after shampooing them, it keeps their fur nice and shiny and soft, and it keeps them smelling nice in between their baths, we also give them salmon oil in their evening kibble, for the Omega oil benefits, it's food for their brains, skin, and fur. I hope this helps.

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks for the input everyone! And also the warm welcoming!!!

I have read the sheet of top foods for dogs and was startled to find out all Pedigree formulas were at such a low rating. I plan on switching over but am in the process of currently switching from Old Yellar to Pedigree, and am aware it is not good to switch foods cold turkey as this could cause Bella to react to the food. I will be on the look out for Fromm's Beef Frittata if this is what is recommended for most bully's. I would like Bella to grow healthy and strong so whatever is best is what she is getting!!!

A few questions I had about the brand and the transition:
Do they sell Fromm's Beef Frittata in a puppy formula? As Bella is currently 14 weeks.
If so, where could I find this Fromm's? Petco perhaps??

On the transition, shall I allow the current transition of Old Yellar to Pedigree to continue? She seems to be doing better in the transition as her stool is now a lot harder but somewhat less as I also reduced to 2 cups a day, (1 in the morning, 1 at night. Treats mixed throughout the day with plenty of water.)

Anymore input on these questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the input!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Bryan, yes Fromms has a puppy formula, in a pink bag, and you can feed her this until she is 6 or 7 months old, as she should stay on puppy food for the extra calories, vitamins and minerals they provide during a puppies rapid growth and development. When she is 6 or 7 months old, you can switch her to one of the other Fromm's flavours such as Fromm's beef frittata, Fromm's pork and peas, Fromm's Tuna, or Duck and Turkey. All of Fromm's foods are an all stages food, and can be changed or interchanged without having to transition or do a slow switch. I'm sorry I'm not sure where you can find it in the States, as I am in Canada. Petsmart doesn't carry it here, but I can buy it at RENs Pet Depot, Global Pets, and at Bark and Fitz. I have read that some members in the States use PetFlow, which delivers your dog food to your house. Hopefully someone will come along and know where you can buy Fromm's.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.