General Question Another spin on the food carousel and we're trying California Naturals Grain Free Kangaroo Forumula

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Where to start...

When I was the proud owner of two bullies, one who suffered from many, many ear infections, I searched high and low for the right food. After much trial and error, I found NVI LID Lamb formula and things were good! Both of my bullies did well on it.

Then my youngest bulldog, Truman, started having significant allergy issues. We switched proteins on the NVI LID line and nothing seemed to really help. The allergies escalated and, after switching to fragrance-free detergents, removing bedding, and going on all kinds of antihistamines, we found ourselves using cyclosporine. This a powerful but effective medication for managing animals with severe allergies. We used that every day, then after 2 months, we moved to every other day, per our vet's direction. Things were great!

Then it started to not be as effective. Then my older bully passed away. And now I find myself looking to change foods again to help alleviate these issues. After going up and down the list of foods and ingredients and talking to the sales woman at the natural pet food store, I am trying California Naturals Grain Free Kangaroo formula.

I KNOW, I KNOW! California naturals is owned by P&G but the sales associate made a convincing argument to try it as it is grain and gluten free plus has a COMPLETELY new protein. She said many owners of allergy-prone dogs swear by this food...so I think it's worth a try! Has anyone tried a kangaroo protein before? Anyone tried this brand?

I will watch closely and report my findings! Fingers crossed!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes please let us know how it goes , I would try anything if my babies were having allergy problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
I'm sorry, all the troubles you are having.

Jagger is 10 months old and I have been on the same carousel. I was trying different foods, medications everything I could. Finally, out of an act of desperation I tried an all vegetarian, organic diet. No more yucky poops, his face is no longer red and his eyes are so clear now.

Might be something to try. All of these guys are different.

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Be careful with the California Naturals, they have been recalled so many times the one store near my house wont carry there brand of food anymore..But I also am in the same boat as you are...Natural Balance ( LID) has worked best for us so far and i've tried everything from the taste of the wild, blue buffalo, Fromm, Acana, core wellness, and several others..It'a a very stressful process.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good luck Jill.... keep us posted on how your man is doing on it

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone - it always helps to know I'm not riding the carousel alone!

I had REAL apprehensions about California Naturals but I like the idea of trying an exotic protein to see if it helps Truman. So far, everything is good and no gastrointestinal upset as I begin introducing it to him mixed with his regular food. I gave him a nice, good scrub today so he's really clean and I can see his skin well - it's so hard on brindle doggies!
[MENTION=9016]JennyeStear[/MENTION] - do you home cook the vegetarian diet or buy him a certain food?

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
@sheshistory

I was making him food but switched to Natural Balance Vegetarian.

Jagger has terrible allergies. I recently had him allergy tested. And he's allergic to everything under the sun, including peas. So, he now eats Avoderm Vegetarian Formula. It took a while for him to be okay with it. But he looks great, is healthy and his face and skin look great. He still has to take an over the counter allergy medicine and also one from the vet. But he's doing really well now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
I had tried the California Natural kangaroo grain free on my EB for a year. I was desperate as my EB was suffering on everything. So I thought the kangaroo is exotic and rare. He was good til a year later, he started throwing up which us a sign of food allergies. And with all the recalls, I had to seek another brands but with no success. At present time, I'm cooking for him and mixing it with the new California Natural pork and sweet potatoe. Yes, I went back to CN because it seems to work for him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have tried every variety of Fromm's, but Winston is still suffering from the tear staining. I may switch to Earthborn, because my boxer is doing great on it. You are NOT the only one dealing w/the food-go-round… so tired of this mess!!! Good luck and keep us posted...

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
So far, I am seeing some improvement. He's still itchy but eyes and nose wrinkle are looking a lot better and clearer so I am hopeful once we are at 100% new food, we'll see even more improvement. I have been super conservative with the switch since Truman has a sensitive tummy (unlike Linus, who had an iron gut), and he's been good so far.

Siobhan

Aug 5, 2012
Perth, WA, Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
I had big issues with my Molly, spanning over about 6 months. We changed her food from biscuits, to the roll of dog meat, to cooked topside of beef, to cooked chicken and rice. Nothing worked, she had horrible issues with her stomach, and we'd have to clean her at least 4 times a day. Our dog wash lady mentioned another client of hers had the similar issue and fed her dogs raw kangaroo meat, with mashed sweet potatoes and pumpkins...with greek yoghurt for desserts! After running it past the vet, who encouraged us to have a go...we introduced Molly to her new dinner...she loved it. Without a word of a lie..within 2 weeks we didn't have the usual stomach issues, she was going to the toilet regularly and it looked normal (without going into too much information) We feed her twice a day, wit some yoghurt in between, and its cleared the problem right up! So I'd highly recommend this to everyone, and hopefully you have the same success as me!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online