Orijen

hutchie

Oct 17, 2013
Cumbria Lake District
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
Marley is 12 month old now,is one and 1/2 cups of food twice a day to much?
He seems to have a lot of loose stools,i bought this food because its grain free and supposed to be one of the best?
Im thinking of changing his food. Do any of yous use Orijen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi [MENTION=10101]hutchie[/MENTION]!

I have never personally tried Orijen but it is-- compared strictly by ingredients and testimonials, one of the BEST choices out there.

Now that is not to say that your bully may not be sensitive to one of the proteins or ingredients in it.

Take his food portion back to 1 1/4c twice a day instead of 1 1/2, even just 1/4 too much can cause loose stools.

Also, when you switched, did you switch slowly? If not that explains a LOT-- their tummies cannot transition from one food to another and will cause so bad digestive upset for a few days to even a week.

If you did do a straight switch-- get some canned pumpkin (100% pure pumpkin, not pie filling) and put 1-2 tablespoons on top of his next meal, and cut that meal down-- waaaay down, to about 3/4 cup.

If after a couple of meals his poop has not improved and you can hear a party of bubbles in his tummy (that is clear digestive upset), then go to bland diet for a day or two until he is all better. Then try reintroducing the Orijen starting with 1 cup per meal instead of 1.5 cups, and slowly work your way up.

Oh and give him a hug, hope his tummy is feeling okay.

OP
hutchie

hutchie

Oct 17, 2013
Cumbria Lake District
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
Thanks.
Hes been on Orijen for months now,i changed him over slowly. Im thinking it might be to rich for him?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hi @hutchie!

I have never personally tried Orijen but it is-- compared strictly by ingredients and testimonials, one of the BEST choices out there.

Now that is not to say that your bully may not be sensitive to one of the proteins or ingredients in it.

Take his food portion back to 1 1/4c twice a day instead of 1 1/2, even just 1/4 too much can cause loose stools.

Also, when you switched, did you switch slowly? If not that explains a LOT-- their tummies cannot transition from one food to another and will cause so bad digestive upset for a few days to even a week.

If you did do a straight switch-- get some canned pumpkin (100% pure pumpkin, not pie filling) and put 1-2 tablespoons on top of his next meal, and cut that meal down-- waaaay down, to about 3/4 cup.

If after a couple of meals his poop has not improved and you can hear a party of bubbles in his tummy (that is clear digestive upset), then go to bland diet for a day or two until he is all better. Then try reintroducing the Orijen starting with 1 cup per meal instead of 1.5 cups, and slowly work your way up.

Oh and give him a hug, hope his tummy is feeling okay.
:goodpost: Hopefully he will start feeling better soon!!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] has you covered. I just want to reiterate that 3 cups total per day could be too much for him (we feed Blue who's a day away from one- 2 cups total), so the first thing I'd try is to cut down. Especially is he's not very active.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We serve Orijen Six Fish. The fish smell is quite strong but the food seems great.

OP
hutchie

hutchie

Oct 17, 2013
Cumbria Lake District
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
Changed Marleys food last night,slowly mixing the new in with the old. His stools have already started to harden,i phoned the breeder and he said Orijen is to high in protien at 38%. Ive got him on Arden Grange now,its Lamb and Rice.
This new food is 24% protien,so fingers crossed he will be ok. Im also thinking the Orijen made him smell. Because when i bath him,the next day he smells again? Could this be a food allergy?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
The Orijen fish kibble has a strong fish smell but Castor himself doesn't smell (and he hasn't taken a bath since July).

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Changed Marleys food last night,slowly mixing the new in with the old. His stools have already started to harden,i phoned the breeder and he said Orijen is to high in protien at 38%. Ive got him on Arden Grange now,its Lamb and Rice.
This new food is 24% protien,so fingers crossed he will be ok. Im also thinking the Orijen made him smell. Because when i bath him,the next day he smells again? Could this be a food allergy?

Sounds like yeast overgrowth if he smells again right away.

OP
hutchie

hutchie

Oct 17, 2013
Cumbria Lake District
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
Is it the food that can cause this? He seems to be enjoying his new food and his stools are hard. Hes having one cup twice a day.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Try an ACV rinse after his bath I think we all do this.

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
I feed mine 1 cup twice a day. And on days that he gets a lot of exercise 2.5 cups, and hes 60 lbs. 3 cups of this food a day is probably too much considering how rich it is.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is it the food that can cause this? He seems to be enjoying his new food and his stools are hard. Hes having one cup twice a day.

It's been a couple of weeks now, how is he doing on the new food?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.