How much to feed? 8 week old English Bulldog puppy

bullyball

Nov 21, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Can anyone give me a general guideline of how much my new puppy should be eating? I purchased Earthborn Holistic Puppy Vantage (445 calories per cup) to feed him and according to the bag it states to give 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 cup a day which seems awfully small. I've read puppies at 8 weeks should be fed 3 times a day. I've googled around quite a bit and haven't been able to really find a clear answer. The puppy will be able to come home tomorrow so If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Every bully is different. Some are able to feed 3x a day and others cannot. When we brought Harlea home we tried to feed her 3/4 cup 3x a day and she had explsive poo. We slowy backed off until her poo was nice and firm and wound up only feeding her 1 cup 2x a day and she is growing and gaining weight just fine. So you will probably have a bit of trial and error to find out the combination that will work best for your baby.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We always feed our pups 3 times a day until they are about 5 or 6 months of age then go to 2 times a day. I would ask the breeder how much they are feed a day and split it into 3 times. An 8 week old should eat around 1/2 to 3/4 cups 3 times a day. You can gauge it off their poop. If it is soft then back off a bit until it gets firm. I would feed the same thing the breeder is feeding until about a week or so after you get him home so he will get used to the new place and is comfortable with his new surroundings until you change food. He will be nervous enough without upsetting his tummy with new food too.

OP
B

bullyball

Nov 21, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Ok thanks for the responses. I guess I'll start off trying 3/4 cup 3 times a day and see how it goes with the stool and all. I'll have to ask the breeder what was being fed but I have a feeling they most likely just poured a bunch of crap Purina or something in a pan and let all the little puppies go at it as opposed to measuring/monitoring the amount given. I don't really like the idea of having to buy dog food filled with "meat" by-products if that's what he was eating... but if it needs to be done to get his tummy adapted to the new food then I will.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you've already been given great advice by above members. Todd is right, every bully pup is different, and you have to gage it by the their poops, you want firm but soft poops, not mushy or soft serve consistency. A puppy should be fed equal amounts 3 times a day, until the age of 6 or7 months of age, and then reduce the feedings to 2 times a day. Some feed 3/4 of a cup 3 times a day, and some will feed 1 cup of food twice a day. We fed our two guys 1 cup three times a day until 7 months of age, and then switched to 1 cup twice a day. They are now 21 years of age and both weigh 45 pounds.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ok thanks for the responses. I guess I'll start off trying 3/4 cup 3 times a day and see how it goes with the stool and all. I'll have to ask the breeder what was being fed but I have a feeling they most likely just poured a bunch of crap Purina or something in a pan and let all the little puppies go at it as opposed to measuring/monitoring the amount given. I don't really like the idea of having to buy dog food filled with "meat" by-products if that's what he was eating... but if it needs to be done to get his tummy adapted to the new food then I will.

3/4 c 3x a day at eight weeks may be a little too much, maybe go with 2/3 c at first until you can gauge the poop. You will want to stay on that food at first and slowly switch. You will increase the amount gradually until they are eating about 2.5 cups a day until they reach adulthood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bullyball

Nov 21, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
3/4 c 3x a day at eight weeks may be a little too much, maybe go with 2/3 c at first until you can gauge the poop. You will want to stay on that food at first and slowly switch. You will increase the amount gradually until they are eating about 2.5 cups a day until they reach adulthood.

Ok will start off with 2/3 cup (3x) instead. Appreciate all of the responses.

OP
B

bullyball

Nov 21, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I decided not to transition my puppy using his old food and sure enough his stool is starting to look like soft serve after only one day. The breeder was feeding him Royal Canine Medium which is adult food I believe. Would it be ok to buy him the Royal Canine Puppy version and the transition work the same?

Rjoh1079

May 28, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Bindie
I decided not to transition my puppy using his old food and sure enough his stool is starting to look like soft serve after only one day. The breeder was feeding him Royal Canine Medium which is adult food I believe. Would it be ok to buy him the Royal Canine Puppy version and the transition work the same?

Avoid Royal Canin at all costs. You can see how bad it is on dogfoodadvisor.com

We feed Canidae puppy and All Stages. Our Bullies thrive on it.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Hi, you've already been given great advice by above members. Todd is right, every bully pup is different, and you have to gage it by the their poops, you want firm but soft poops, not mushy or soft serve consistency. A puppy should be fed equal amounts 3 times a day, until the age of 6 or7 months of age, and then reduce the feedings to 2 times a day. Some feed 3/4 of a cup 3 times a day, and some will feed 1 cup of food twice a day. We fed our two guys 1 cup three times a day until 7 months of age, and then switched to 1 cup twice a day. They are now 21 years of age and both weigh 45 pounds.

You have a dog that is 21 years old!?!?!
Wow!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You have a dog that is 21 years old!?!?!
Wow!!

No, that should have said 21 months of age. Lol. That post is from 5 years ago, I'm surprised that nobody questioned that typo before now. 21 years old for a Bulldog would be amazing. I tried to go back and edit the post, but I can't.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
No, that should have said 21 months of age. Lol. That post is from 5 years ago, I'm surprised that nobody questioned that typo before now. 21 years old for a Bulldog would be amazing. I tried to go back and edit the post, but I can't.

21 years old for any dog would be amazing!
Lol...
I know about typo’s too. :yes4:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

It will, just add a little pure pumpkin to help

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.