Lifes Abundance vs Fromms and Nuvet Plus

SgtGrunt

Nov 20, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Grunt
Hello,
New to the forum. I joined for advice and tips from fellow owners. My breeder and every breeder I've found in Colorado starts their puppies off on Lifes Abundance kibble. It seems legit and I checked it out on dogfoodadvisor. I have also looked its rating on here. They also started the pups on Nuvet through the dam and make sure you give it to the puppy for one year as a health guarantee. Everyone on here is recommending Fromms. Has anyone ever used Lifes Abundance??? It seems comparable. I just want to feed Grunt the best I can get. What about Nuvet. It says one tab a day. But Im worried about too much calcium and he shouldn't need a supplement on a premium dog food. What about fish oil. How much and how often.
Thanks for any advice. Grunt is 9 weeks old 16 pounds. Born September 25, 2013.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Grunt is absolutely adorable :luv: I have never heard of Life Abundance, but if it's got a good rating on dogfoodadvisor.com and Grunt is doing fine on it then I would stick with it. I have Winston on Fromm, but we may be switching because Fromm doesn't seem to work too well w/him. Food is an ever changing thing w/these bullies, since most of them have allergy issues. I have Winston on NuVet as well, but he's almost a year old. I use coconut oil instead of fish oil because I was noticing some issues w/the salmon oil. I was only giving him a few squirts a day in his kibble. I will tag a few members so they can give you some specifics on the food & supplements questions… [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and your baby Grunt is just too adorable. We feed our pups FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag, and they do fine on it. It doesn't hurt to give the NuVet Plus as it will just give him a little extra nutrition that he could use. I would wait a few months before getting it though so he can get a little bigger. We do not give any oils. We used to give Salmon oil, but they didn't really like it and saw no change in them so we stopped it. Looking forward in seeing more pics of your baby. It's fun watching them grow into beautiful bullies.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I give my pups Nuvet but only half a tablet instead of a whole one, and then around 4 months old I start giving them whole.

Looking at the ingredients and the dog food advisor I would say its a pretty decent food so you may want to stick with it. Not too keen on the dried beet pulp but other than that it looks decent :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN...... Grunt is a precious little bully... What a face,
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]. A fellow CO member

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack

:hiya: Howdy and how nice to see another Coloradan. Grunt is super cute! I've never heard of that food before. Not sure where you live but over in my area there's a great pet store that's 100% non profit and they're proceeds go to canine cancer. It's called "My Buddy & Me Pet Store."

Emma's had Fromm since birth and I alternated for a bit with Earthborn when she was about a year old. She did great on the Fromm puppy. If you're close to that pet store I mentioned call them, they can order your food and they're even cheaper than anywhere online.

OP
S

SgtGrunt

Nov 20, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Grunt
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Grunt is absolutely adorable :luv: I have never heard of Life Abundance, but if it's got a good rating on dogfoodadvisor.com and Grunt is doing fine on it then I would stick with it. I have Winston on Fromm, but we may be switching because Fromm doesn't seem to work too well w/him. Food is an ever changing thing w/these bullies, since most of them have allergy issues. I have Winston on NuVet as well, but he's almost a year old. I use coconut oil instead of fish oil because I was noticing some issues w/the salmon oil. I was only giving him a few squirts a day in his kibble. I will tag a few members so they can give you some specifics on the food & supplements questions… @desertskybulldogs, @Davidh

Thank you very much ddnene! I appreciate you being the first response and welcoming me!

OP
S

SgtGrunt

Nov 20, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Grunt
Davidh,2BullyMamma, thank you so much for all your feedback. It sounds like Fromms is a Top pick here and I'm thinking of swapping Grunt when we run of of his 2 35 pound bags lol! If possible maybe you can take a closer look and compare. Its nice to meet other owners who have been there and gather advice! It's just a it over whelming. They seem to need specific food and supplementation. What about Hip and Joint Supplements? Any recommendations?

Last edited:
OP
S

SgtGrunt

Nov 20, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Grunt
:hiya: Howdy and how nice to see another Coloradan. Grunt is super cute! I've never heard of that food before. Not sure where you live but over in my area there's a great pet store that's 100% non profit and they're proceeds go to canine cancer. It's called "My Buddy & Me Pet Store."

Emma's had Fromm since birth and I alternated for a bit with Earthborn when she was about a year old. She did great on the Fromm puppy. If you're close to that pet store I mentioned call them, they can order your food and they're even cheaper than anywhere online.

JeannieCO. Thank you so much for your advice. Yes I thought I should follow the breeders advice exact on food and supplement. Its my first Bull Dog!!! I live in Grand Junction CO. We took him to get his last round of vaccines to a vet. Do you know any clubs or Vets in my area who are specific to our breed?
Thanks,

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
:welcome4:

I have a divided house here. I feed one bully Fromm and the other Dog Lovers Gold. I've tried to switch Vegas to Fromm, but his system is so sensitive. It may take a few different foods before you find the one that works for you.

Grunt is so stinkin cute!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you very much ddnene! I appreciate you being the first response and welcoming me!
Absolutely!!! Welcome to the EBN family :D

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Welcome to the forum. I feed Amber and Ruby homemade food and Wellness Core Ocean. Its all about the bully if a food will or will not work, trial and error. Good luck and welcome. Grunt is beautiful!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
JeannieCO. Thank you so much for your advice. Yes I thought I should follow the breeders advice exact on food and supplement. Its my first Bull Dog!!! I live in Grand Junction CO. We took him to get his last round of vaccines to a vet. Do you know any clubs or Vets in my area who are specific to our breed?
Thanks,

You're quite welcome. Wilson was my first bully and oh man I have learned a lot in the last 3 years. I switched his food immediately when we got him (he was on Science Diet). So far he's tried Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Earthborn, Fromm, Earthborn again and now he's back on Fromm. He actually does great on all those foods. I was just trying different foods for him. When I got Emma 2 years ago she was a bit more sensitive to fish and lamb. Makes her face really red so in switching her food around Wilson was along for the ride. Food has to be the hardest thing about bullies imo. Well maybe their stubbornness, lol. Emma does good on the Fromm Pork and Peas. The thing about dog food is that on a particular brand you can swap from one flavor to a next with no transition. I tend to transition fast with my guys but the normal transition is about a week with integrating the new food with the current food.

Did you get Grunt from JonesBoys in Grand Junction? I had looked at them before but decided on another breeder. A friend of my hubby's got one from them this past summer, he's gorgeous.

I don't know of a bulldog vet in Grand Junction. I have to call my vet tomorrow so I'll ask him. He's well-known in this area for his bully expertise. All you see in there is bullies, lol. It's great.

For clubs I would just do a search (or ask your breeder they might know). It's a great way to get to know the breed too.

Hope that helps a bit more.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.