batgirl

Oct 8, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bird
Hi everyone!
I've done some searching to try to get the answer I need but I can't even think because of the horrid stench in my house :ashamed:
Bird is a little over 4 months now. The breeder was feeding her Purina pro plan and after having her home for a couple weeks we started to slowly switch her to Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy food. She has been 100% blue buffalo for about 3 weeks now, I guess. She is happy, healthy, doesn't seem to be having any allergy issues, stools are fine, high energy and growing like a weed. But oh my heavens the ENORMOUS amount of stinky gas is killing us. From what I've been reading I'm leaning toward Fromm's but wanted to ask advice before we make the switch again. Also should we change gradually again? And is there one protein you'd recommend over another or switching them up?
Anxiously awaiting any and all suggestions
2013-11-17 17.56.41.jpg

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We use Fromm. Slowly switch to Fromm....then once you are one it you can mix and match depending on what protein source works best. We ended up with the grain free Beef Frittata. It works the best for us right now. We also like the grain free Pork and peas.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Sherrie. I switched our two guys to Fromms Beef Frittata, when they were 7 months old, after researching dog foods, which is how I found EBN. The breeder was feeding them Royal Canin, knew this was not the best food, due to the ingredients list of corn, and other fillers. Fromms was actually our 4th switch as it turned out our female bully is allergic to chicken, salmon, grains and corn, so Beef is what's best for her. They have been on this food for about 15 months and are doing really well on it. Gas, poop and other digestive problems as well as skin issues are usually caused by a food issue or allergy. Your guy is only 4 months old, so it is recommended that he stay on a puppy formula, as puppy food has the extra calories, vitamins and minerals needed for rapid development of a puppy. You have two options at this point, you could leave him on his current food until he's 6 or 7 months, when it is recommended to switch to an adult dog food, and then switch to Fromms, or you could switch him to Fromms Puppy food, and then when he's ready for adult food, you can start feeding the Fromms adult food. Any switch requires a slow transition to avoid upset stomach and diarrhea problems, except when you are feeding Fromms, as this food is an all stages food, and also all their flavours are interchangeable without having to transition. If you decide to keep him on his current food, and switch to Fromms when he's 6 months old, then you can do the slow transition to Fromms at that time, and if you decide to switch him to Fromms Puppy formula now, you will still have to do the slow transition, (and it takes about a month for the old food to leave their system, and for you to see any improvements from the new food). But then when you switch him to adult Fromms, you won't need to do a slow transition as its the same family of foods. It can be frustrating to find a food that both is a high nutritional food, and that they tolerate, but once you do, it's best to stay with it. You can add some natural supplements to his food when he is about 6 months old, such as plain unsweetened yogurt, for the probiotics and digestion. It boosts their immune system. I add 1 Tbsp to their morning kibble, an Omega oil, such as salmon oil, cod liver oil, or coconut oil, this is food for their skin, coat, and joints, I add 1Tbsp to their evening kibble, and I put apple cider vinegar in their drinking water everyday, there are a lot of benefits to ACV, such as it is a natural anti inflammatory, it balances the Ph levels in the blood, and it kills the bad bacteria in the body, which also boosts the immune system. All of these things are beneficial, and prevent many illnesses and problems, and they are natural supplements, so won't hurt your dog.

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs eat TOTW-pacific salmon. They also get a supplement with vitamins,minerals, pro-biotics. They hardly have much gas, and are doing well-so far. As long as all is well, I am not changing anything. I also give them plain yogurt-reg. about three times a week.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Slow switch to Fromm, I use Pork and Peas / Beef Fritatta or Game Bird... But the Pork and Peas has been the best for my guys. The Beef and Bird are real good to but PnP is potato free which I prefer for my girl

OP
batgirl

batgirl

Oct 8, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bird
You guys are the BEST. I'm so thankful for the support and advice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Can I suggest that even though your baby is doing fine on the food itself it may be the main protein causing the gas. Raven is on Merricks B4 Grain and her stools are fine but she was very gassy. I switched her from the chicken to the pork and the beef and the gas is all gone. Don't get me wrong here and there we do get some gas because of the cookies we give her but I can tell for sure it's the cookies. According to my vet a great deal of bullies do not do well with chicken. Either way, just thougth I would share with you. Hope you find the right food combo for your baby.

OP
batgirl

batgirl

Oct 8, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bird
Great suggestions. Thank you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had Winston on Blue Buffalo Wilderness before I got on EBN, and the gas was horrific :bad: He also started having loose :poo: it was pretty bad. We made the slow switch to Fromms and things cleared up right away!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Kefir and yogurt help control gas as well. Harpea gets Kefir in the morning and yogurt and night and hardly has any gas at all.

I am stuck on my phone as [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] stole my computer.

OP
batgirl

batgirl

Oct 8, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bird
I ordered Fromms puppy food yesterday. Can't wait to start the transition, hopefully the air will clear enough to be able to have cognizant thought again :confused:
Thanks for all the help.

OP
batgirl

batgirl

Oct 8, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bird
Kefir and yogurt help control gas as well. Harpea gets Kefir in the morning and yogurt and night and hardly has any gas at all.

I am stuck on my phone as @Chumley stole my computer.

Can I start with the kefir and yogurt now or should I wait until 6months as with the other supplements I've read about here?

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
We have been giving June yogurt since she was about 10 weeks old I think. She loves it and has never passed gas! We put it in her kong and freeze it, keeps her busy for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Remi came to us on Diamond and after about a month we slowly switched him to nature's variety instinct. We finally landed on the limited diet lamb, and his farts are way less often and stinky. I probably notice one about once a week - and then I bet the hubby gave him something!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Can I start with the kefir and yogurt now or should I wait until 6months as with the other supplements I've read about here?

We started giving Harlea Yogurt the day we brought her home and Kefir a few weeks later.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.