General Question Lilah poops too much?

lilah

Nov 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LILAH
It was to many things at once that I even messed up Lilahs age. She was born Sep 29th,so today Sunday she turned 7 weeks:no:. Yesterday, she pooped 9 times!!! from 7:11 am to 11.35 pm plus 4 times during the night before. 13 in total. So here I am awake just waiting . I will wake her up soon take her out to poop n pee. That way her next time will be like around 3 am or so. Husband will wake up for the last two rounds :). I know she is very very young, but I am very surprised of how many times she poops.Iinside the house she starts playing and walking around and poopS n pees out of nowhere. When we got her , last Friday, she was pooping even more often and after 2 days of having her at home she starting pooping worms!! those were 3 horrible days!!!!!. Now it has gotten better but I am still questioning the frequency. The breeder said that the good thing is that she pooped the worms and she will be fine after that, and she has. I feed her 3 times a day morning aroung 7am 7:20 , between 2-3 pm and at 6pm. She eats almost a can a day. I give her 3 full tablespoons at each meal. I am feeding her Iams for puppies. I was wondering if I should start dry food? maybe this could help her to poop less?Or this is normal with pups?. I just want to know any experiences or feedbacks. Thanks in advance.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome to Ebn and Congratulations on your Lilah, just adorable!

If she is just now 7 weeks old, that is a tad young to be taken from
Momma Bully & Siblings, they learn so much about proper manners
and socialization in the last 2-4 weeks before going off to new homes.

Very important when Lilah gets ALL her shots to take her out to new &
different settings and expose to pets & people, supervised of course,
very carefully & only pets you know are calm, kind & mellow.

Pedigree & Iams are not generally good for bullies as they have sensitive
tummies. Best to start her on a good, GRAIN FREE puppy food until she's
about 6-7 months old then switch to adult food. Under Forums, there are
articles on food choices also there is a Puppy Group that you might care to
join, very helpful tips & advice, things you need on hand, etc.

Good luck & GOD bless, let us see lots of pics~love seeing her grow up!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Congratulations! I agree with @ Texas Carol that 7 weeks is too young to be away from momma. Why did the breeder let her go so young? That is a red flag. However, that being said, puppies poop ALOT, but what you are describing sounds like a food issue. In my case, my pup did the same thing. I have a ton of threads on here about food/ poop/ soft serve poop/ diarrhea/ 10 poops a day.... Well you get the idea. I tried all the good foods recommended here. Trust me, it was a LONG 8 months. Went the grain free route right from the beginning, but we could not get Bogey regulated. Stools were ALWAYS soft serve at best, and up to 10 times a day. After a lot of trial and error, my vet put him on Hills prescription Diet, with me kicking and screaming all the way. I did NOT want to do this, it was chicken base, and FULL of corn!! Guess what? Poops immediately got hard and normal. He now only poops 2-3 times a day. I was amazed. Still uncomfortable about all the corn, but it's working for him. You will have to find the right food. Whatever you do, make changes VERY slowly! It should take about a week, even more, to transition to a new food. I would try dry food, but make sure you moisten it with broth or water. My vet explained that my bully needs a very high fiber, low fat diet. The commercial brands, even the good ones, were way too rich for him and causing an irritable bowel. I hope you find the right one!! Good luck!!

- - - Updated - -

Last edited:
OP
L

lilah

Nov 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LILAH
Wow! Thank you guys. The reason that the breeder let them go earlier was because the mom pushed them all away. I agree, that lilah needed to be with her sibliings n mom more, but the reason why I decided taking her was because of out 5 , 2 were left , Lilah n sister. She got her first shots and was dewormed before I got her. Her next vet date is the first week of December. He told me that she was on Iams anD ofcourse I didn't it want her to change her food the first week she was with us, So After a week, I see her very, and playful, I think I will try things little by little. Thank you very much for the answers.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Maybe you could try the dry food with your puppy but wet it down with water till you know your bully can handle it?

I know you mentioned that there were worms in your pups poo also. Just to save yourself some headache you might want to ask the vet if you can bring in a fecal sample so they can recheck and make sure the worms are totally gone.

Good luck with your new pup :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has you cover with great info and advice.... please get a ;poo; sample back to vet, -- she may need to be dewormed again

I also tagged two members with excellent young puppy experience

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I'm going to be blunt. Your breeder is an idiot. Mama's always push their pups away and don't want them to nurse at 7 weeks, really before that, the mama is weening them, but it is no excuse for giving them to a new home that young. They should still stay with mama and siblings until at least 8 weeks old to learn and get a little more socialization. That being said, one thing when they have worms they will poop a lot so I would get a poop sample to the vet and let him give you some de-worming meds. I would also get her on a better food than Iams. Check the ingredients, if it has corn in it, put it back on the shelf. You can also put her on dry food now, just soak it in water for a little while to soften it up a bit for a few weeks, until she can handle the harder food. They do need to chew their food so don't get it too soft. I hope this helps her. Plus we would love to see some pics of your baby.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well I'm going to be blunt. Your breeder is an idiot. Mama's always push their pups away and don't want them to nurse at 7 weeks, really before that, the mama is weening them, but it is no excuse for giving them to a new home that young. They should still stay with mama and siblings until at least 8 weeks old to learn and get a little more socialization. That being said, one thing when they have worms they will poop a lot so I would get a poop sample to the vet and let him give you some de-worming meds. I would also get her on a better food than Iams. Check the ingredients, if it has corn in it, put it back on the shelf. You can also put her on dry food now, just soak it in water for a little while to soften it up a bit for a few weeks, until she can handle the harder food. They do need to chew their food so don't get it too soft. I hope this helps her. Plus we would love to see some pics of your baby.

Agree 100%… our pups stayed w/us until they were 8 weeks old, and they were weaned already!!! We started w/baby rice mix, and moved on to very moist kibble… Sorry your baby is sick, but hopefully the vet can get those worms taken care of.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with the others. She also should be checked out by your vet-and bring a stool sample. When ever I have gotten a pup-no matter what the breed, I have always taken them for a vet check within a day or two. She needs puppy shots too............

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes that does sound like too much poo. She is very young and has a very immature digestive system too.

I would not change foods until you have the worms cleared. One dose of dewormer will not kill them all. You will need a repeat in 10 days (but this depends on the dewormer used too). There are eggs that will hatch and grow into new worms. The idea of doing 2-3 doses is to kill the entire LIFE CYCLE, not kill all the worms.

Also if you are feeding even a tablespoon too much food at that age they will get the runs. At 7 weeks they should be eating about 1/4 c to 1/3 c three times a day, depending on their weight. Back off a bit if the poo is runny, by just a shake. Is your pup on soaked kibble or dry food? Weaning to dry will also help tame the runny poop.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.