Rx i/d food? Hernia? Mega-esophagus? Food intolerances?

JenniferG

Nov 15, 2013
We've had our 4yr old male Donozo since he was 9 weeks old from a very reputable breeder with many years experience. We love our Donozo and love our breeder, she has been great and supportive. Our breeder guaranteed his health and offered to exchange him or give us another dog and has even financially reimbursed us because we didn't want another dog, we love him. So please know I understand some dogs just have a condition and it doesn't reflect negatively on the breeder. Having said that, this is what I'm seeking guidance on.

Soon after we brought him home at 9wks old, within a couple weeks, he started developing explosive diarrhea, bloating, and gas. He would also regurgitate his food a few times then re-eat it. We tried numerous foods for more than a year recommended by the local pet boutique, raw food, probiotic for 30 days, antibiotics, blood work and stool tests. When he was a year old we put him on Royal Canin Rx dry food Hydrolyzed Hypoallergenic food that immediately took care of the diarrhea but he continued to regurgitate his food after eating and then he would re-eat it. We were so happy to find resolution to the diarrhea that we finally gave up looking for a cause to the regurgitation. He would often vomit when he got excited, after running around outside, barking at strangers, or eating too fast. We tried the funny bowls that made him eat around obstacles to slow him down. I was happy if he only threw up 1-2 times a day instead of 6-12. On average he would throw up 2-4 times a day, usually after eating.

In July of this year he stopped being able to keep anything down and over 11 days he went from 54 pounds to 40. We spent almost $4000 between numerous vet visits, emergency room visits, follow up visits, fluids, IV, medicines, overnight stay to rehab his health, and tests including an inconclusive flora scope. We had numerous diagnosis and speculations over the 11 days from gastritis, pancreatitis, esophagitis, hernia, sphincter problem, and mega-esophagus. He does have a mega-esophagus and sphincter problem and we still are not sure if he has a sliding hernia, but they are treating him as such and the surgeon was pretty convinced that he has had it since young which has caused him to regurgitate his food for almost 3 years (so angry at the vet that couldn't figure this out for so long). Not sure what flared him up so bad, but we were finally able to get him to keep food down after the 11th day with medication (Cisapride and Prilosec) and canned Hills i/d food. And I put fluids under his skin for another ten days after that.

I just discontinued the Prilosec this week because he developed diarrhea last week and immediately upon discontinuing Prilosec his stools went normal again. He is still taking Cisapride 3 times a day to help the esophagus work properly (we tried Reglen initially then again just a few weeks ago, but it doesn't seem to help and it's too bad since it's only a fraction of the price) and he is still eating Hills i/d canned food. The canned food solely because of the sliding hernia and mega esophagus, and the i/d food because of the previous explosive diarrhea problem that led us to feed him the Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Rx food. We have been feeding him 3 cans a day and he still hasn't gained any weight, he is still only 40 pounds after 2 1/2 months, so I just emailed my new vet (one we changed to during all these problems) to ask her about increasing his food intake to at least 4 cans daily. This makes me cringe because I am spending $80/month on medication and $225/month on i/d canned food. The 4 cans daily will increase his food costs to $300. Which is more than my personal grocery budget.

We love him and will do whatever we need to do to keep him happy and healthy, but wondering if anyone else out there has had any experience with sliding hernias, mega-esophagus, and/or hydrolyzed diet food alternatives.

I'd like to try a different food to save me some money (the i/d costs $30 for 12 cans). The surgeon told me he would have to stay on canned food because of the hernia and mega-esophagus. So I guess I'm looking for an alternative to the prescription food.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I'm so very sorry to hear all the problems w/your baby… I have no experience w/these issues, so I'm going to tag some members to see if they can advice you [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] We are here to help & support you anyway that we can!!! :hug:

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
Could you use the dry and do what we do for puppies? Mix 1 cup of food to 1 and 1/2 cups of water and let it soak till all the water is gone. I dont know if that would be any cheaper for you the the can stuff.
I dont know much about mega-esophagus or the food allergies since my crew doesnt have alot of issue with food (thank goodness) but I know Courtney at the carolina pet pantry is one of the best when it comes to finding a food that might work as well as what your trying. She has alot of rescues that have issues with food http://www.carolinapetpantry.com hear is there website and I am sure if you call her or send her a email she will be able to help with mor ideas then I can :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
So sorry to hear about your dog! I've heard of megaesophagus in canines before but not specifically with hernia. I was reading about bloat risk of EBs and the elevated food bowl when I chanced on the vertical feeder that is supposed to help with megaesophagus problems. I have no experience on megaesophagus personally but maybe this will help:

As far as the cost of wet food... it might be cheaper for you to make your own wet food using the BARF or PMR model and a good meat grinder.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi there, I have no experience with this, but I would be very curious to see how Donozo would do on a home cooked diet. Have you ever tried that? Home cooked is so similar to canned, and it is more natural ingredient wise, and you also have control of what is in it.

Oh and we would love to see pictures of Donozo too! :yes:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have no experience with this problem but my sister had a doberman who had a surgery to remove a foreign object. The surgeon she had, somehow made a mistake in that surgery, requiring her to have further surgery-thus causing severe scar tissue to form. She was prescribed the canned prescription diet, as she could not hold her food down, and normal food could not pass thru-due to scar tissue..she would vomit.To make a long story short-it became so $. Changed her food, and put all in a blender and made it very fine, used a slow feeder and she managed just as well, as on prescription. She could only keep extremely finely blended food down. And yogurt. So sorry to hear about your much loved baby.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have no experience with this either, but can't he have 1/2 caned mixed with 1/2 kibble? Also there is a chair that is made to help with mega-esophagus, I think it's called a Bailey chair? Not sure but maybe you can Google it. Sorry for your baby, and I hope you get some help with him.

OP
JenniferG

JenniferG

Nov 15, 2013
Here is a picture of Donozo when he was in ad out of the hospital. He is with my daughter who he adores, he is technically her dog.
judydugu.jpg

Here is one of him eating from a spoon.
evegu4us.jpg

His favorite sleeping position.
yte6ame8.jpg

Donozo with Lucy the Chihuahua
uhu5unys.jpg

OP
JenniferG

JenniferG

Nov 15, 2013
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I'm so very sorry to hear all the problems w/your baby… I have no experience w/these issues, so I'm going to tag some members to see if they can advice you [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] We are here to help & support you anyway that we can!!! :hug:

Thank you [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]

OP
JenniferG

JenniferG

Nov 15, 2013
Could you use the dry and do what we do for puppies? Mix 1 cup of food to 1 and 1/2 cups of water and let it soak till all the water is gone. I dont know if that would be any cheaper for you the the can stuff.
I dont know much about mega-esophagus or the food allergies since my crew doesnt have alot of issue with food (thank goodness) but I know Courtney at the carolina pet pantry is one of the best when it comes to finding a food that might work as well as what your trying. She has alot of rescues that have issues with food http://www.carolinapetpantry.com hear is there website and I am sure if you call her or send her a email she will be able to help with mor ideas then I can :)

Thank you [MENTION=1251]Tracey[/MENTION]lynne172. I'll give her a call. We tried the kibble soaking a few times with the other hard prescription food he was on for so long, it didn't work, at least I failed at it.

OP
JenniferG

JenniferG

Nov 15, 2013
Thank you [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] . We tried something similar to the Bailey Chair but it doesn't help because of the dysfunctional sphincter and/or hernia. In fact he hates it so much that he starts to fight it and it makes his hernia worse. Such a pain. I'm wondering if I get him on a diet that he isn't intolerant to, then maybe I can try blending it in water again. I should probably research foods.

OP
JenniferG

JenniferG

Nov 15, 2013
The vet reminded me today that the GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease) causes acid and that the acid will keep him from absorbing nutrition which might be why he isn't gaining any weight. Have to find a resolution to all this! Poor baby.

linda4568

Aug 7, 2010
Eagle River, Ak
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, Biggy, Pickles, Deebo, Hoss
Hello , I have lots of experience with the mega esophagus issue. I don't really think it matters so much what you feed it's how you feed. He's not gaining and won't gain till you change the way he eats. I feed mine call of the wild wild bore. I soak it in warm water for a minute then feed him with his bowl held in the air. The goal is to keep his head upwards and his neck straight up in the air so the food is forced down his neck past the sack that's in his neck. My vet took an ex ray and then showed me it. The reason he throws up is because when they swallow, it goes into a sack before the stomach and then throw it up. So nothing is reaching the stomach. That in turn makes them loose the weight and can't gain. I would change his way of feeding or get the baily chair. My vet said all I need to do is hold his bowl in the air with a slant to it the put only enough for a bit full and the he grabs the food and chews with his head up because he sees you have the bowl still in the air for his next bite. I have never giving him no meds for it. When I discovered the problem he was only weighting 40 pounds now he weights 55 and keeps it steady and no more throwing up.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
JenniferG

JenniferG

Nov 15, 2013
[MENTION=1007]linda4568[/MENTION] thank you. We tried bailey chair and holding him upright while we feed him, but he hates it so much that it makes the vomiting worse. At this point with hand feeding him while he sits at my feet in front of me, we are able to keep the food down. He still regurgitates into his mouth but he still swallows it. He is on medicine to help with this. But he still isn't gaining any weight. He is popping enough. The vet says she thinks the GERD is causing to much acid and therefore he isn't getting any nutrition which is why he can't gain weight. Seeing the vet again early next week but I'm getting really discouraged. He has to eat food that is at least 75% moisture because of his dysfunctional sphincter but that is still pasty enough that it stays down. I've tried his previous hard food finely blended and soaked in water. I've even pre-made and chilled overnight then warmed in the microwave to take he chill off. None of that works. I'd like to try another canned food that is under $2 a can and that he doesn't have food tolerance to but I have no idea what he is intolerant to. Seems that the hydrolyzed protein diet is the ONLY thing that has ever kept his diarrhea under control. So I don't know where to start.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have no experience on this condition, but when my boys are sick and can't eat I give them Nutri Gel. It's high in calories and nutrients. Being gel it absorbes fast and gives extra energy and nutrients fast and they can't really vomit it out. Can't they operate to help his condition? Hope he get's better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online