Earthborn dog food

Teresa

Oct 30, 2010
So. Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Frederick (Fred)
I am switching Fred to this food. What do you think?

Earthborn HolisticĀ® Primitive Naturalā„¢ Dog Food: Ingredients

INGREDIENTS: Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), Dried Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Apples, Blueberries, Carrots, Peas, Spinach, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Taurine, Cottage Cheese, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Beta-Carotene, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Magnesium Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, L-Carnitine, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Biotin, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Products.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It looks pretty good but let's get [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] to give us an answer. I think this is one of the newer foods her and I were discussing because I see it has enzymes/probiotics in it.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I was gonna say it looks good to me but I am bad at knowing dog foods. I see it has garlic tho which is up in the air for how bad it is but I do think it is the actual bulb of raw garlic that is bad, not so much the powder form.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
The ingredients look pretty good and according to this review of the food and it's ingredients, the only "controversial" contents are the garlic (is it good for dogs and does it matter in such a limited quantity?) and tomato pomace (considered by some to be a cheap filler) but it looks pretty solid. You could definitely be feeding a heck of a lot worse! Let us know how it goes!

OP
Teresa

Teresa

Oct 30, 2010
So. Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Frederick (Fred)
great thank you all, I feel better knowing your opinons

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
let me check this out and find out exactly where the ingredients come form, and if they are natural or man made. and see if it is even on the radar yet, its a new one on me, and until they have a few reviews, and answer some questions on cooking time and temp. I would not feed it,there are so many new companies that are just old ones with new names that are trying to loose the old reputations, they put a lovely name on it and it sounds healthy and natural. give me over the weekend to do some research, I am gone all day tomorrow. thx

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
no where on the guaranteed analysis does it say in writing that these ***Pre and Pro bitoics are in the food.**
((Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus ))Fermentation Products.
and as long as they add a trace, they can say it is in there, and is it live or not. lets find out before we feed it to our dogs,
you can stay with Fromm, or great4 life, they do guarantee in writing that the pre and pro biotics ar in the food and tell you exactly how much, and it is a live culture.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
also the statement about what the dogs ancestors ate, have nothing to do with what today's dogs need. we have bred them totally out of the wolf like state they were once in. this is a advertising ploy.!!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I will call and talk to the manufacturer, and ask, what is the source of omega 3 and 6, is it flax seed or fish?
fish is th eonly souce to be completely absorbed by dogs easily, where does the L-carnitine come from.
are these vitamins, man made, if not form what source. and just what makes the food supposidly more digestible? if they do not state in writing, that the pre and pro bitotics are there, and in what quantity, --there will not be enough to aid in digestion, or boost the immune system. how hot is the food cooked and for how long. to long and it will actually do harm. good food companies do not hesitate telling us owners these questions.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
ask this of the DOG FOOD ADVISER... who is paying for this page or results.
try the truth about pet foods. she solely survives on our membership monies of $18.00 per year for concerned pet owners. no money comes from any pet food company. to do any research or statements

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] I dont know how you can retain so much wonderful information and be able to translate it all for us but thank you~again. :)

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
No-- thank you for caring enough to ask!! I am just passionate about my dogs food. and because Bulldogs have --WAY DIFFERENT NEEDS THAN ANY OTHER BREED__-- I have to also use the past 15 to 20 yrs of Bulldog rescue peoples experiences. plus my own 10 yrs.
and I am a bad person to sell a car to. I will pick it apart until I know which bolt was made where.!!
and use any resource to find out.
the marketing and merchandising are what I went to school for,so I know how this sales job works. and there are a billion ways to hide the truth.and still say something positive. the black bold type of words, say just as much as the pale gray printed words. the bold is the only type of warning we get---can you believe it ?? I will get back to all after the weekend .

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
well- I just got off the phone with the nutritionist at Midwestern pet foods. and the nutritionist- refused to answer the question of - how high ,the temp of cooking and how long, he said he'd have to have someone get back to me. and yes some of the vitamins are man made,( synthetic) and yes some of the omega 3 and 6 come from flax seed, he knew that it did not absorb as good as fish oil. But said they grind it up very fine.I do not belive him. given the fact that , the other brand of food they make is pro pack, and it is full of corn, bet pulp, chicken digest(the stomach contents ) and it is --protein-- but garbage !! actually, and he did say that the meat comes form the left over human meat, which means ,
it is stuff we wouldn't eat!! because if it was good , he would have said , it is grade A human meat, and -- it is not muscle meat-- which is what good food uses-- the roasts,steaks,chops, this company is a new branch for midwestern pet foods, it has only had 5 reviews to date, and remember,--even the truth about pet foods, lists for MOST BREEDS, --- and bulldogs need better food, and better quality, it may have the same things but often - how it is even made , makes a difference!!!!
------------------------------------------------------
Earthborn Holistic Pet Food is a product of Midwestern Pet Foods. Manufacturing is in the U.S. at company owned plant. Two requests for further information sent to Earthborn Holistic Pet Food have gone unanswered. Additional pet food information will be added when/if Earthborn Pet Food responds. No response to questions of cooking time and temperature.
----------------------------------
The Earthborn Holistic Pet Food Representative stated meat ingredients are highest quality pet grade.--doesn't even start out good enough for us to eat.---
------------------------
these are the first 5 ingredients, that would be in bulk enough to count.--

Ingredients: Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat
----------------------
the nutritionist also did not know what the source of the L-Carnitine, came from, AND IF HE DOESN'T -WHO DOES??
the rest of the food brands are full of --
((CORN, BEET PULP)),((( SOY, ( AS LETHACYN),,(( Rye Flour, Potatoes)),,Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice,( INGREDIENTS IN PARENTHESIS(MS) ARE CHEAP FILLERS FOR PET FOODS.
would you want to guarantee that this brand made in the same plant wouldn't have some or more of those cheap fillers in the food???? I WOULDN'T. BUT IT IS YOUR CHOICE !!!
AND I bet on further research - they have more brands, but are trying to sound natural, and healthy, for new pet owners.!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] .... can I say YOU ROCK? :)

This is very good information. As you can see, not all of your information is on your dog food label!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.