have anyone try RC veterinary diet?

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
I'm still trying to find the perfect food for.major. :)
I tried, nature variety (lamb,beef,rabbit) , fromm(chicken,beef) -etc......

any infos would help, thanks.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm not familiar with the RC Veterinary brand of dog food. Is this Royal Canin? I know that Royal Canin is not considered the best food, it is rated a 3 Star food on the dog food ratings. My two were fed Royal Canin by the breeder I bought them from, but I knew by reading the labels and researching dog foods that it wasn't then best choice of food, not the worst either, but it contains a lot of fillers, and corn, which is not good for dogs. My vet also sells this brand in her office, but I learned while researching, that both medical doctors and vets don't get a lot of training in school on Nutrition. They mainly learn how to diagnose and treat diseases. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, and we switched her food 4 times before we found a brand she tolerated. We feed both our guys Fromm's Beef Frittata, and they both do really well on it. Having said that every Bully is different and what brand works for one, doesn't always work for another, and some members use Royal Canin, and their dogs do well on it. My Blossom had warm red ears, a pink face, chin acne or rashes, he licked her paws a lot, and she pooped more. It's really trial and error to find a food that your bully tolerates.

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
its royal canin, I know its 3* but this one is vegetarian so I wonder whats the harm? cut down as.much proteins as I can. I tried from 4* to 6* foods n still haven't find the perfect one yet..n this food you have to get prescription to buy it.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
If you've tried other foods and he's not doing well on it, and you have him on RC Veterinary diet, and he does well on it and tolerates it, then you have to go with what works for your baby.

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George
Our girls are on Natural Balance sweet potato and Venison and they love it and its working beautifully! We tried everything before finding this food!!!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
its royal canin, I know its 3* but this one is vegetarian so I wonder whats the harm? cut down as.much proteins as I can. I tried from 4* to 6* foods n still haven't find the perfect one yet..n this food you have to get prescription to buy it.

Dogs thrive on animal meat and not as much plant matter. Their digestive system is designed to be more efficient at breaking down meat and is not as good at breaking down plants. So a dog can absorb more nutrients from a chunk of lamb than a mound of peas. A vegetarian diet, therefore, is not as good as an all-meat diet, unless the dog has a special medical condition that prevents him from eating meat. Vegetables also has carbs/sugar. Dogs are not as efficient at processing these and therefore, too much of it can hurt your dog.

Is there a reason you are lowering protein? Protein is the main source of a dog's energy and cell-buildling. In kibbles, lower protein percentage means higher carbs percentage. Carbs are not written on the nutritional breakdown in the back of the kibbles bag but you can figure it out by using the formula Carbs = 100% - Protein% - Fat% - Moisture% - Ash% (if Ash is not supplied in the back of the bag, you can use an estimate of 8%). What we want for our dogs is low carbs - at least less than 50% and preferably less than 45% in kibbles. If you need to lower protein so your dog can drop some weight, then instead of finding a low protein/high carb food, lower the serving size instead.

So, in conclusion, I would avoid any vegetarian formula unless my dog has a medical condition that prevents him from eating meat.

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I just visited RC's web page and took one look at one of their veterinary products and it made me sad....and a bit sick too.
Corn starch, hydrolyzed poultry by-products aggregate, coconut oil, soybean oil, natural flavors, potassium phosphate, powdered cellulose, calcium carbonate, sodium silico aluminate, chicory, L-tyrosine, fructooligosaccharides, fish oil, L-lysine, choline chloride, taurine, L-tryptophan, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium panthotenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavine (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], DL-methionine, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), histidine, trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid. - See more at: http://www.royalcanin.ca/index.php/...ormulas/Anallergenic-Dry#sthash.PGK9jMRm.dpuf

Corn starch, hydrolyzed poultry by-products aggregate, coconut oil, soybean oil, natural flavors, potassium phosphate, powdered cellulose, calcium carbonate, sodium silico aluminate, chicory, L-tyrosine, fructooligosaccharides, fish oil, L-lysine, choline chloride, taurine, L-tryptophan, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium panthotenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavine (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], DL-methionine, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), histidine, trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

...the only thing that you could give to your bully on it's own is coconut oil and fish oil. There is propably no meat what so ever in this product. I don't even call this food.

Last edited:
OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
then iono what else to try? fromm chicken gave him yeast ear n feet, beef gave him yeast ear .losing hair, and hes allergic to fish,,nature variety lamb gave him yeasty ears too, and others foods I tried .... might consider raw then?

- - - Updated - - -

n I use acv, yougurts n coconut oils, n fruits as snack...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
then iono what else to try? fromm chicken gave him yeast ear n feet, beef gave him yeast ear .losing hair, and hes allergic to fish,,nature variety lamb gave him yeasty ears too, and others foods I tried .... might consider raw then?

- - - Updated - - -

n I use acv, yougurts n coconut oils, n fruits as snack...

Did you try the Fromm Pork and Peas? it is white potato free which can add to yeast issues

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
How old is Major? If he's all grown up I would do the elimination diet with raw food.

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
How old is Major? If he's all grown up I would do the elimination diet with raw food.

he almost 2 yrs old, I havent try pork yet from fromm, all the fromm I tried the yeastget worst thats y I scared to try again, I could try it jext time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
he almost 2 yrs old, I havent try pork yet from fromm, all the fromm I tried the yeastget worst thats y I scared to try again, I could try it jext time.

Banks has bad yeast too... she did good on beef Fritatta, not so good on others, but has been great on the Pork and Peas. Also, any change you make, be sure to wait at least a month for any real changes to happen -- good or bad. sometimes a negative will show up real quick, but the positive changes take a little long to show up

clightfoot

Nov 7, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper Potts
I worked for a veterinarian for a long time who sold RC, but it was the veterinary blends, not the commercial blends. We had a lot of dogs with digestive, skin and joint issues that did really well on it. Those animals were in for specific reasons. I am a fan of their limited ingredient diets worked well for my cat.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Yeast fungus loves fruit. So, if you're giving your dog fruit for snacks, yeast is jumping up and down for joy... Eliminate as much carbs and sugar as possible. That means - no fruit either.

You can't really have a good basis for what your dog is reacting to if you have too many balls in the air. It may even be non-food related at all. Environmental allergies is a lot more prevalent than food allergies. Your first step is to take out anything your dog is ingesting outside from the kibble itself so that if your dog continues with the reaction, then you can say with more certainty that it is the kibble and not the treats.

Raw feeding is good because you can get really specific in what goes in your dog's stomach so you can get really specific on what is not working out for him. But, if you don't know much about dog nutrition, this is not a good way to go... you could end up really hurting your dog. It takes quite a bit of research and knowing your dog's reactions to food to be able to do raw feeding successfully for the long term.

A good in-between is to do an elimination diet using raw or homecooked food. This way you can have a good foundation of what proteins and fillers your dog can tolerate then you can find these ingredients in kibble.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.