Help Needed! What food should I switch to?

fren7682

Nov 4, 2013
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Chevy
I have two english bulldogs, Tank and Chevy. Right now I feed them Grain-free Nature's Variety Instinct. Chevy is overweight and gets open sores on her skin. Tank just recently started getting the same open sores. The vet has done numerous tests and doesn't know what they are. They ooze yellow/bloody liquid if they get excited or if you press on it and they seem to go away over time. Also, tank just recently started having a lot of head tremors (three today in fact :( ). A lot of the research I've done talks about low blood sugar:confused:?? He is a very active bulldog, whereas Chevy is completely opposite. They also have terrible gas on this food. I'm not sure if all of these issues are diet related but I would like to find a food that helps with a few of the issues. Any suggestions on what food I should try without breaking the bank? Thanks for the suggestions!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I also have two EB, they are siblings, and have totally different personalities. My male Bulldozer is so laid back, and likes to just cuddle, he doesn't like to walk, and would rather sleep all day. Lol. My female Blossom we call crazy legs, she would walk for hours if we let her, and she's full of beans and energy, apshe is in play mode 24/7. Dozer has a cast iron stomach and can prettybmuch everything and does, including socks. Silly bully, Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. She had. A lot of red skin problems, itchiness, paw licking, chin acne, red, warm ears, and goopy eyes, which are all signs of food related allergies, as well as having gas, yeast problems, and frequent and soft poops. I switched Blossoms food 4 times before we found one that she tolerated, and we now feed both guys Fromms Beef Frittata. They both do really well on this food, and have been on it for over a year. You can go on the Nutrition forum, and read the dog food ratings, you want to choose a high quality food that has at least a 4 Star Rating, or 5 or 6. Some examples of brands are Fromms, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Arcana, Orijen, and Go Natural. It's really trial and error when it comes to finding a food that they tolerate. A lot of bullies are allergic to chicken, and are sensitive to grains and fillers in the foods. Good luck I. Finding a brand that they both can tolerate. I also heard some good things about Rachel Rays Brand of dog food, Ellen DeGeneres also has her own brand of Holistic dog food, which she advertises as a high quality food, and Costco also has their own brand of dog food that I think is rated as a 3 Star food, but is more affordable.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Finding the right food is a challenge. We feed ours FROMM Pork and Peas. You can try any of the grain free foods to see which one agrees with your bullies. Do a slow transition to the new food. If you decide to go with FROMM once on it, you can change from any of the 4 star FROMMs without transition.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Bullys were on Blue Buffalo grain-free and the gas was horrible, plus loose :poo:. When I got on EBN I transitioned Winston to Fromm and he has done pretty good… I started out on the Beef, and now we are on Pork. Food is an ever-changing issue, but I'm not sure if food has anything to do w/the head tremors?!! I will tag some members… [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION], [MENTION=9403]Lokismom[/MENTION]

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki has a lot of problems with chicken
Making sure you have a a good protein and fish oil will help a lot! Loki is currently on nutrisource lamb grain free and it work great for him and us. No gas, smooth coat and no sores :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
:welcome: to EBN.

I think there's two separate issues going on here. While food can definitely be the cause of allergies, the fact that Chevy has open sores, and Tank recently started getting them as well, makes me think it may be contagious and may not be food related.

It doesn't make sense that your vet, who's done numerous tests doesn't know what they are. If I were you, I'd find another vet.
He may not know what's causing them, but to not know what they are?? Did he at least give you antibiotics? Open sores that ooze yellow and blood sound like infections.

Regarding the food, if you decide to transition them to another formula, I would change the protein source as well. [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] gave you a link to the dog food ratings, it's a great place to start. When you choose a kibble, just make sure NOT to choose one with the same protein your pups are currently getting from Natures Variety. If you decide to keep them on Natures Variety, consider changing to a different protein source as well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.