Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    dexter
    Likes (Received)

Default Advice Pleeassseee

We bought our Dexter two weeks ago from someone that was unable to care for him. He is now 14 weeks and he is our love! He came home on Royal Canin and was doing fine on that. However after doing some research I felt like I needed to switch him. So I tried Blue he broke out in awful hives. The vet said it could have been the food or an allergy to grass. I then tried Infinia and it is grain free but a newer food. Does anyone have anything to say about Infinia? Now my Dex's hives have got better but his face, neck, and front paws are still red. Does anyone have any thought on this? Help would be greatly appreciated

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Advice Pleeassseee

Quote Originally Posted by Dextermommasbaby View Post
    We bought our Dexter two weeks ago from someone that was unable to care for him. He is now 14 weeks and he is our love! He came home on Royal Canin and was doing fine on that. However after doing some research I felt like I needed to switch him. So I tried Blue he broke out in awful hives. The vet said it could have been the food or an allergy to grass. I then tried Infinia and it is grain free but a newer food. Does anyone have anything to say about Infinia? Now my Dex's hives have got better but his face, neck, and front paws are still red. Does anyone have any thought on this? Help would be greatly appreciated
    Let me first say thank you for taking Dexter into your home, and it really sounds like a food allergy, Personally, my boys are both on adult food, 14 MO, and 20 MO. At 14 weeks, I would highly recommend you take a look at the From's puppy formula, in the Pink Bag, @Davidh could probably tell you more on the puppy formula than I could ever, Next I'm going to enclose a food ratings link in here for you, So please look it over, and see where your food rates. I'm thinking probably 90-95% of Gully's are on a grain free formula because of allergies. Royal canine was developed with a scheme in mind, the Kibble is suppose to be such that your pet can easily eat it our of the bowl is their selling scheme, like Science Diet does all the Kick Backs to Vets for recommending their food. Fromm's and Blue Buffalo, which I personally use, Well they use a different scheme, Make the food Healthy, and appetizing for the pets, it's a little bit more, but will save you tons in vet bills and allergies, and all the other little side effects. Here's the Link, see where Infinia Rates.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/co...Food-Ratings&=

Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    dexter
    Likes (Received)

Thank you very much! I did not have a lot of selections: TOTW, Blue, Wellness, Infinia and I have read and read. Infinia is not on the list I think because it is a newer food. I just want the best for my man that is why we were willing to spend whatever we need to ensure that he has a good life. Maybe the redness is still there because of how bad he was broke out. I am not sure I have been at a loss! Just hope he gets better poor guy!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi and welcome to you and Dexter, I'm so glad you joined EBN. You have already received great advice from Dave.
    A lot of Bullies are allergic to chicken and grains, as is my female Blossom. We switched our guys food 4 times before we found one they both tolerated, we feed our guys Fromm's Beef Frittata, and they both do well on this food. It's really trial and error when it comes to finding a food they tolerate, take a look on the dog food ratings forum. Make sure you do a slow transition when changing their food, to avoid stomach upsets and diarrhea. It can take up to a month for the old food to leave their systems, and for you to see any changes or improvements. Good luck in finding a food that Dexter tolerates. Thank you for giving Dexter a furever home, and enjoy him, they are the most special loving dogs in the world.
    Last edited by Vikinggirl; 11-03-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

The Fromm's Gold Puppy, is a 5 Star Food, I don't see anything better in a puppy Formula. Now I don't use Fromm's, Both my boys were adopted, One was on Purina Dog Kibble, the other was on Blue Buffalo Salmon, Lucky for me, They both like the Salmon which is a feat all within itself, neither have adverse effects from it, I thought I hit the Jackpot, couldn't get that lucky again. Fromm's food is just as good, and most members on this site use it, without incident, just praise. I think Pet Flow on the Front Forum page carries it, and you get a coupon here for free shipping. No loss, just all gaines at this point, I'm sure when @Davidh gets a chance he will chime in, I know he's an avid user of this formula, and has had extremely good luck with it, He also shows his Dogs, so you will notice, he only uses the best. Good Luck. and most of all keep us all posted. Were a family here, and we aren't nosey, we want the best for the Bully's, Thats what this site is all about.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Like Dave @Casper said we use FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag for our pups and they have always done great on it. We also feed our adult bullies FROMM Pork and Peas and they are doing great. I'm happy you got your baby and looking forward in seeing pics of him. Hope he gets better soon.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    dexter
    Likes (Received)

I really appreciate everyone's help!! Yall are great! I will keep everyone updated. The infinia from what I can tell is a 5 star so we will see. He is still a little red so we may end up transitioning to the Fromm's.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dextermommasbaby View Post
    I really appreciate everyone's help!! Yall are great! I will keep everyone updated. The infinia from what I can tell is a 5 star so we will see. He is still a little red so we may end up transitioning to the Fromm's.

As Monica said, it takes at least a month for his system to clear old food.

Give it 4-6 weeks then access his overall condition, even then, maybe same
    food is okay but different protein if still red. Most bullies do best w/grain free
    and some need potato free as it creates yeast in sensitive ones.

Feed & water (filtered or distilled is best) in glass or stainless steel bowls.
    Give fresh water 2-3 times daily, wash bowls often in dishwasher.

I'd advise reading articles here under Forum & joining Puppy Group.

Welcome & GOD bless you for giving him a forever home

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hives at such a young age seems very strange to me, surely must be an allergy. We also use Fromm puppy in the pink bag, I do hope you find some answers as it does seem like from your description the food may be the culprit. Good luck, please keep us posted

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sorry i cant advise much about US food ,but wanted to add that switching should be gradual , from what i gathered you had pup 2 weeks and switched him twice,i would do the switch gradually and wait a while , before rule out food allergy,it could be environmental allergy -if you still got no luck i suggest allergy test

We feed our girls salmon -is hypoallergic and great for their skin and coat
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Dextermommasbaby

I looked up Infinia and it looks like a very good food. It didn't throw up any red flags.
    Only thing I'll add is that the protein source in Infinia is what could be causing his hives/redness. You never mentioned which formula he was on.

If you want to keep him on Infinia, you could try a new protein and see if that helps.
    Last edited by nycbullymama; 11-04-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: tagged Dextermommasbaby

Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    dexter
    Likes (Received)

Ya he was on the Royal Canin and I switched that because of all the bad things I had read about it. I then switched him to Blue and he broke out in awful hives the next morning. I was not going to keep feeding him that. So I switched him to the Infinia turkey and sweet potato brand because that is the only Infinia brand that is recommended for all life stages. I do now I shouldn't switch foods often. I am just trying to find one that works for him. I am happy to report that he does look better just still a little red faced, but as for the hives they are pretty much gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads