Advice Pleeassseee

Dextermommasbaby

Nov 2, 2013
MO
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
dexter
We bought our Dexter two weeks ago from someone that was unable to care for him. He is now 14 weeks and he is our love! He came home on Royal Canin and was doing fine on that. However after doing some research I felt like I needed to switch him. So I tried Blue he broke out in awful hives. The vet said it could have been the food or an allergy to grass:sneaky2:. I then tried Infinia and it is grain free but a newer food. Does anyone have anything to say about Infinia? Now my Dex's hives have got better but his face, neck, and front paws are still red. Does anyone have any thought on this? Help would be greatly appreciated:pray:

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
We bought our Dexter two weeks ago from someone that was unable to care for him. He is now 14 weeks and he is our love! He came home on Royal Canin and was doing fine on that. However after doing some research I felt like I needed to switch him. So I tried Blue he broke out in awful hives. The vet said it could have been the food or an allergy to grass:sneaky2:. I then tried Infinia and it is grain free but a newer food. Does anyone have anything to say about Infinia? Now my Dex's hives have got better but his face, neck, and front paws are still red. Does anyone have any thought on this? Help would be greatly appreciated:pray:

Let me first say thank you for taking Dexter into your home, and it really sounds like a food allergy, Personally, my boys are both on adult food, 14 MO, and 20 MO. At 14 weeks, I would highly recommend you take a look at the From's puppy formula, in the Pink Bag, [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] could probably tell you more on the puppy formula than I could ever, Next I'm going to enclose a food ratings link in here for you, So please look it over, and see where your food rates. I'm thinking probably 90-95% of Gully's are on a grain free formula because of allergies. Royal canine was developed with a scheme in mind, the Kibble is suppose to be such that your pet can easily eat it our of the bowl is their selling scheme, like Science Diet does all the Kick Backs to Vets for recommending their food. Fromm's and Blue Buffalo, which I personally use, Well they use a different scheme, Make the food Healthy, and appetizing for the pets, it's a little bit more, but will save you tons in vet bills and allergies, and all the other little side effects. Here's the Link, see where Infinia Rates.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings&=

OP
Dextermommasbaby

Dextermommasbaby

Nov 2, 2013
MO
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
dexter
Thank you very much! I did not have a lot of selections: TOTW, Blue, Wellness, Infinia and I have read and read. Infinia is not on the list I think because it is a newer food. I just want the best for my man that is why we were willing to spend whatever we need to ensure that he has a good life. Maybe the redness is still there because of how bad he was broke out. I am not sure I have been at a loss! Just hope he gets better poor guy!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome4:Hi and welcome to you and Dexter, I'm so glad you joined EBN. You have already received great advice from Dave.
A lot of Bullies are allergic to chicken and grains, as is my female Blossom. We switched our guys food 4 times before we found one they both tolerated, we feed our guys Fromm's Beef Frittata, and they both do well on this food. It's really trial and error when it comes to finding a food they tolerate, take a look on the dog food ratings forum. Make sure you do a slow transition when changing their food, to avoid stomach upsets and diarrhea. It can take up to a month for the old food to leave their systems, and for you to see any changes or improvements. Good luck in finding a food that Dexter tolerates. Thank you for giving Dexter a furever home, and enjoy him, they are the most special loving dogs in the world.

Last edited:

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
The Fromm's Gold Puppy, is a 5 Star Food, I don't see anything better in a puppy Formula. Now I don't use Fromm's, Both my boys were adopted, One was on Purina Dog Kibble, the other was on Blue Buffalo Salmon, Lucky for me, They both like the Salmon which is a feat all within itself, neither have adverse effects from it, I thought I hit the Jackpot, couldn't get that lucky again. Fromm's food is just as good, and most members on this site use it, without incident, just praise. I think Pet Flow on the Front Forum page carries it, and you get a coupon here for free shipping. No loss, just all gaines at this point, I'm sure when [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] gets a chance he will chime in, I know he's an avid user of this formula, and has had extremely good luck with it, He also shows his Dogs, so you will notice, he only uses the best. Good Luck. :yes: and most of all keep us all posted. Were a family here, and we aren't nosey, we want the best for the Bully's, Thats what this site is all about.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Like Dave [MENTION=8699]Casper[/MENTION] said we use FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag for our pups and they have always done great on it. We also feed our adult bullies FROMM Pork and Peas and they are doing great. I'm happy you got your baby and looking forward in seeing pics of him. Hope he gets better soon.

OP
Dextermommasbaby

Dextermommasbaby

Nov 2, 2013
MO
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
dexter
I really appreciate everyone's help!! Yall are great! I will keep everyone updated. The infinia from what I can tell is a 5 star so we will see. He is still a little red so we may end up transitioning to the Fromm's.:)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I really appreciate everyone's help!! Yall are great! I will keep everyone updated. The infinia from what I can tell is a 5 star so we will see. He is still a little red so we may end up transitioning to the Fromm's.:)

As Monica said, it takes at least a month for his system to clear old food.

Give it 4-6 weeks then access his overall condition, even then, maybe same
food is okay but different protein if still red. Most bullies do best w/grain free
and some need potato free as it creates yeast in sensitive ones.

Feed & water (filtered or distilled is best) in glass or stainless steel bowls.
Give fresh water 2-3 times daily, wash bowls often in dishwasher.

I'd advise reading articles here under Forum & joining Puppy Group.

Welcome & GOD bless you for giving him a forever home :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hives at such a young age seems very strange to me, surely must be an allergy. We also use Fromm puppy in the pink bag, I do hope you find some answers as it does seem like from your description the food may be the culprit. Good luck, please keep us posted :hug:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Sorry i cant advise much about US food ,but wanted to add that switching should be gradual , from what i gathered you had pup 2 weeks and switched him twice,i would do the switch gradually and wait a while , before rule out food allergy,it could be environmental allergy -if you still got no luck i suggest allergy test

We feed our girls salmon -is hypoallergic and great for their skin and coat

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=10210]Dextermommasbaby[/MENTION]

I looked up Infinia and it looks like a very good food. It didn't throw up any red flags.
Only thing I'll add is that the protein source in Infinia is what could be causing his hives/redness. You never mentioned which formula he was on.

If you want to keep him on Infinia, you could try a new protein and see if that helps.

Last edited:
OP
Dextermommasbaby

Dextermommasbaby

Nov 2, 2013
MO
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
dexter
Ya he was on the Royal Canin and I switched that because of all the bad things I had read about it. I then switched him to Blue and he broke out in awful hives the next morning. I was not going to keep feeding him that. So I switched him to the Infinia turkey and sweet potato brand because that is the only Infinia brand that is recommended for all life stages. I do now I shouldn't switch foods often. I am just trying to find one that works for him. I am happy to report that he does look better just still a little red faced, but as for the hives they are pretty much gone.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Thank heavens we've never had a problem with food for Bella, good ole Beneful since she was 10 weeks old..

Most Reactions