aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
He is eating Nature's Variety Instinct. Frozen raw and dry. The raw is one whole patty in the morning and again at night with one cup of dry mixed with it both times. He gets two cups of dry midday if he indicates he's hungry. I got him at the end of May from bad owners. He is 3 years old. He can't get certain things because he is battling yeast and was when I got him. So no peanut butter, cheese, etc. He just suddenly decided to potty in the house.
yeah that is a LARGE amount of food. Lola is exactly 50 lbs, so we feed her ONE whole patty (the large one) PER DAY. split into two meals, breakfast and dinner. And she I suppose lost 1.5 lbs on this 'diet' over the course of 6 months, but gained it back when we went on a steroid kick. i digress… There might be something medically wrong at this point. I can't help with the potty training, but if you are being extremely consistent with going outside and accidents are still happening, again something medical can be happening. Lola is 2 1/2 and never lets us know when she wants outside. we're just on a schedule.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Im going to tag one of our mods who has a bully, Bella, who has a condition that doesn't allow her to absorb the nutrients from the food. It's very treatable, but Seven may need to get tested.

[MENTION=3169]BellasMom[/MENTION]

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
The vet gave us $215 worth of meds and said his weight would return when the yeast left. Well, I understand he's battling yeast but he looks better in that regard but his weight is worse.

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
He died this evening between 6 and 6:45 central. My heart is broken beyond broken.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Oh no!!! I'm so sorry!

I got tagged for this thread but I was too late. Yes, there definitely is something wrong when he's not absorbing nutrients from the amount of food he was getting regardless of amount of protein/carbs/etc. he should have at least showed some weight gain.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so sorry for your loss. I always shed a tear when I hear a bully baby passing...it always reminds me of he fact that my babys will leave me too and I will be devastated.

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
We don't really know if it was completely the overwhelming yeast issue or it is was something else. Our vet was nice but I will try to find one that is more familiar with Bulldogs when we get another one. He just lost weight and it stayed off despite the meds, probiotics, multivitamins and amount of food he was given. He was sick when we got him. He never recovered. It has been a long trying 6 months of trying to help him battle it. When I say sick, it was the yeast. Yeast smell, yeast on almost all of his body a lot of times then over the last month, his sores closed and his hair was growing back but his weight wasn't coming back. Not an hour before he decided he was done, my husband and I said it was just a matter of days before he decided to give up. The whole time we had him, he was more mine than everyone else's. He followed me around the house, he did what I said, he sat with me.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
We don't really know if it was completely the overwhelming yeast issue or it is was something else. Our vet was nice but I will try to find one that is more familiar with Bulldogs when we get another one. He just lost weight and it stayed off despite the meds, probiotics, multivitamins and amount of food he was given. He was sick when we got him. He never recovered. It has been a long trying 6 months of trying to help him battle it. When I say sick, it was the yeast. Yeast smell, yeast on almost all of his body a lot of times then over the last month, his sores closed and his hair was growing back but his weight wasn't coming back. Not an hour before he decided he was done, my husband and I said it was just a matter of days before he decided to give up. The whole time we had him, he was more mine than everyone else's. He followed me around the house, he did what I said, he sat with me.

Thank you for taking the time, in your grief, to update us
as this was a complex & puzzling case for sure. Certainly
any knowledge gained could help save someone's bully
(and them) from going thru this tragedy.

Jennifer, just wish I could reach thru this computer and hug
you so tightly, your loss hurts my heart.

I lost my 1st bully, Brutus, 7 months after I adopted him, to
unknown issues but certainly a result of prior neglect so I
know how maddening that feels & heartbreaking. Brutus too,
only had love & quality of life in those 7 months with me~at first,
THAT crushed me and I wept bitter tears but now, I'm so glad
he did have it and that he was happy even so. He was a great
bully and we immediately bonded so deeply, we packed a whole
lot of love & life in our short time together just as you & Seven
did. You were a wonderful Mom and did ALL you could do for him.
Seven knew that, Jennifer and I know, he just completely loved
you and was grateful & happy in the home you gave him...GOD
gave him that gift so when he departed, he at least, finally knew
what love & caring felt like. So many live & die without EVER having
or knowing those feelings.

Dang, I'm crying now that this is still so and will always be so. We do
what we can to make a difference...the need is overwhelming and
it's disgraceful!

You, Jennifer, stepped up to the plate and made a difference in his
life...he knew. I pray it helps you & Hubby along your healing path.
GOD bless y'all!

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
Thank you, Carol. I knew it would be hard to help him. But I couldn't leave him with those people. I went to look at him and the lady yanked him out of the car onto the hot concrete. I told her then that I was taking him. She did not deserve him. My oldest son is taking it the hardest out if my kids. He's almost 11.

I know now my husband is open to trying again when I'm ready. It just hurts my heart so bad to think we only had him 6 months which was long enough to get deep in my heart but not long enough to get him well.

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
So sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were lucky to find each other and have the time that you did together. Sending hugs your way...

Bleu Bully

Sep 17, 2013
NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bleu
I have a question about BRANDS of dog food. Is Blue a good brand?

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
My mom feeds her Boxer Blue Wilderness and he loves it. Seven liked it ok but with his issues, he didn't really eat until I got him on Nature's Instinct.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.