Fish/Sardine Oil

lola1

Oct 30, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexie
Hi I am new to this site and new to English Bulldogs.

We recently adopted a 5 year old female who is in good health however, being a bulldog has issues with her skin (came to us with a yeast infection on her skin) we are seeing improvements with medicated shampoo, daily "sponge" bathing with baby wipes but I have had several people mention getting her on a regiment of Fish or Sardine oil. Any advice?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and glad you joined us. It could also be from her food, I don't know what food you are feeding, but you might want to change it. Another thing that will help is rinse her with a cup of white vinegar and about a gal or so of water. Leave on and dry her off. That should help get rid of the yeast. About the fish oil, some people will add some Salmon oil to their bullies food to help with dry skin and shedding.

OP
L

lola1

Oct 30, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexie
Thank you. Her food is Kirkland brand Salmon Meal and Sweet Potato which the vet said is good. Before we adopted her a month ago she spent several months going from place to place eating different types of dog food which I am sure caused a lot of her skin issues. I will use your vinegar/water suggestion and will add a bit of salmon oil to her diet. I have heard many people talk about adding oil but wanted to be sure it was a good thing and not something that would be bad for our fragile little flowers :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you. Her food is Kirkland brand Salmon Meal and Sweet Potato which the vet said is good. Before we adopted her a month ago she spent several months going from place to place eating different types of dog food which I am sure caused a lot of her skin issues. I will use your vinegar/water suggestion and will add a bit of salmon oil to her diet. I have heard many people talk about adding oil but wanted to be sure it was a good thing and not something that would be bad for our fragile little flowers :)

Welcome to EBN! While it's true that sweet potato is better than white
potato, if she has yeast I'd take her off all potato & grains until she is well.
I think Zignature has several and (brain dead, can't think of others :)
Will get back to you, lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN and the wonderful world of Bulldogs!

As the others stated... fish oild is great for the coat/skin... I give one pill per day 1200mg, human grade supplement.

Thank you for adopting her and best of luck ..... be sure to post some pictures

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:welcome: we've had very good luck with Salmon oil. IT helps alot.

Most Reactions