Iams Itestinal Plus

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I picked up my bully today from the vet. He got neutered. While there my vet said he was having tummy issues and sold me Iams Itestinal Plus. Should I feed him this stuff? The doctor said it will help him a lot. But I know Iams is full of a lot of crap.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I personally would not. Did your vet expand on what the tummy issues were? My guess if you had to leave him over night os that it was nerves for unfamiliar surroundings.

OP
L

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I had him on fromm gold. His stool was soft. He also gave me probotics to help.

- - - Updated - - -

He told me it wasn't from being at the office. He said he has gastral issues.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Pumpkin should help that if it isn't pure liquid. You can also use plain yogurt and Kefir for the probiotics.

Last edited:
OP
L

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
But the doctor said it's a stomach issue and only prescribed food would help. I'm very torn.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
How old is your pup and how many times a day and how much are you feeding each time? Most vets don't know squat about nutrition and push what they are selling in their office when ever they can and think every single time a pup has soft poo that it is a stomach issue. Bullies are very sensitive to any type of change so spending the night in a different place or even 1/4 cup too much food can cause soft poo. Did your vet culture the contents of his bowels/stomach to determine if the bacteria is too high?

With my Harlea we can only feed her 1 cup of kibble 2x a day or she will have explosive liquid poo and that is usning Fromm's four star grain free line. At the 2 cups a day she has solid poo 90% of the time and the other 10% we give her a little pumpkin and she is fine the next day.

OP
L

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston is 7 months. I have him on 1 1/2 two times a day. So 3 cups in all. He is 45 lbs now

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
You could try triming back a slight bit on the kibble or try a bit of pumpkin first to see if that helps. If you were to try the other food you would have to do a slow transition anyhow so I would always go the path of least issue first.

OP
L

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I will try to get him down to 2 1/2 a day. Thank you very much.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
No problem. You can always replace the kibble you take away with various toppers as well like yogurt and fruits an veggies so they get the same amount per meal.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I will try to get him down to 2 1/2 a day. Thank you very much.

I think this is a good idea to try first. If still no changes, there is no harm in trying the new food.... (looking up ingredients..... please stand by)

wait.... looking at the ingredients in this food I would not touch it with a 10 ft pole.... especially with so much Chicken and corn, and anything that is 'by product' is BAD BAD BAD.... how in the heck is this food supposed to help gas? :barf:

If I were you, I would go with a Fromm 4 star grain free instead. Since he's 7 months old there is no problem doing a slow switch to an ALS formula. During the switch expect some gassiness while transitioning.

Here is the ingredients listed in the Iams Vet formula Intestinal Low Residue Puppy:
Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Chicken, Brewer's Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Fructooligosaccharides, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Flax Meal, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate [source of Vitamin B1], Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement [source of Vitamin B2], Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [source of Vitamin B6], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Rosemary Extract

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I always go hmmm... when I see Chicken as the first ingredient then chicken flavor down the line. Chicken flavor? Why? The chicken on the first ingredient does not taste like chicken?

But yes, I can see how chicken by-product doesn't taste like chicken. We used to eat chicken feet and chicken heads and chicken intestines on a stick in the Philippines and as much as there are so many things that taste like chicken, these don't taste like chicken. And doesn't have the nutritional contributions of chicken meat.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You've received great advice, and like others, I'd probably cut down by 1/2 a cup a day, and give just a little bit of plain yogurt. Give it at least a week and see how he's doing.

Regarding what your Vet said- he has no reason at all to tell you to put Winston on IAMS. Soft stool is very common and there's a ton you can do without going to a crappy food.

Vets recommend the flavor of the month. Whatever rep. came in that week, and "proclaimed" the benefits of their product is what the Vet is pushing. Mind you, this changes all the time as well. So next time a vet pushes a subpar product on you, ask them "how their product is better than yours. Why, in their professional opinion would you go from a food that is grain free, contains real proteins and protein meals- to a food that contains "byproducts and grains as their primary ingredients." I mean, who knows, maybe there's a reason, and if there is, I'd love to hear it. :rolleyes:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree with Todd. Vets will push whatever is in their best interest not the puppy. Brutus was acting up (terrible two's i'm told) and my vet said maybe he is hungry so give him 1/2 cup more food a day. Well I did and Brutus had soft liquid poops for three days after. I'm sure your pup was anxious being away from you and that was the issue. I would stick to the food he is on just a little less.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some great info above, and I would just cut back on his food a little to see if that helps. Then take the food back to your vet and get your money back. That's one thing I like about our vet, he has never tried to tell us witch food to use and never tried to push his food on use.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.