Help Needed! Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Lamb?

sstewart2010

Dec 10, 2012
Garden City, Michigan, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Leroy
I was just wondering if Lamb is a good ingredient to feed a bulldog with food allergies? I tried the Salmon variety of this same food but Leroy kept vomiting...been trying the limited ingredient lamb for the past couple weeks as I thought it may help having less ingredients but then as I am reading on-line people are saying lamb is a really rich protein and may not be the best for bulldogs with food allergies. He has thrown up a couple times on this in the past couple of weeks but not as bad as with the salmon variety, I don't want to keep changing foods on my poor boy though :-( other than the vomiting he seems fine, playful and his stools are solid. Also after he throws up he still seems interested in eating, I am having a really hard time with this and I hate to see him uncomfortable! I also have heard that maybe the NVI foods have too much protein for some bullies and that can upset tummies as well so I am a little confused as to if this is a good food for Leroy or not. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks! You guys have helped me out in the past with issues with Leroy and I figured I would come here and see what you guys think.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Shannon, you have my sympathy as finding compatible food for the bully
is equal to having a pt-time job and sometimes, a full time gig! The protein
thing is confusing just like fats but lots of bullies do well w/the NVI Lamb.
Many bullies are allergic to salmon (chicken is also a big reaction) however,
those same bullies can very often do fine on raw salmon or chicken that is
w/out toxic preservatives & chemical additives. If the salmon makes him
vomit, I'd stop immediately instead of slow transition and just give lamb. It
will take about a month for old food to clear from his gut so don't panic yet.

Slippery Elm, found online or health food stores, is a natural herb that coats
the gut/intestines thereby soothing, calming & HEALING the gut, great stuff!
For people too, wonderful to keep handy for any tummy upset. I'd cut all treats
right now until you see how this food works or not. Good luck and let us know.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I use NVI LID Lamb and it's been good for my bullies but, that said, ALL bullies are different so what's good for one, might not work for another. Unfortuntely, SO much of finding the right food is trial and error. But NVI is a very high quality food so I think it's definitely worth a try!

Let us know how it goes!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I haven't tried it personally yet, but I have led a few bully owners to it with allergy problems and it worked great! As long as there is no allergy to lamb of course!

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
I, too, just yesterday started the NVI LID lamb. I started Howie with the NVI LID rabbit but he started fluctuating like crazy as I was slowly trying to switch him over from GO grain free and potato free turkey, which was causing itchiness. So I am hoping, keeping my fingers cross, lamb might be the answer. It has been over 5 months looking for the ideal food for my little buddy since he developed allergy to kangaroo.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
my boys are on a lamb based protein grain free food and they do best on that compared to salmon or beef. Each bully is different though. I have to make sure to keep mine totally away from potatoes and there are only a couple of grain free foods that are also potato free that I've been able to find

OP
sstewart2010

sstewart2010

Dec 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Leroy
Shannon, you have my sympathy as finding compatible food for the bully
is equal to having a pt-time job and sometimes, a full time gig! The protein
thing is confusing just like fats but lots of bullies do well w/the NVI Lamb.
Many bullies are allergic to salmon (chicken is also a big reaction) however,
those same bullies can very often do fine on raw salmon or chicken that is
w/out toxic preservatives & chemical additives. If the salmon makes him
vomit, I'd stop immediately instead of slow transition and just give lamb. It
will take about a month for old food to clear from his gut so don't panic yet.

Slippery Elm, found online or health food stores, is a natural herb that coats
the gut/intestines thereby soothing, calming & HEALING the gut, great stuff!
For people too, wonderful to keep handy for any tummy upset. I'd cut all treats
right now until you see how this food works or not. Good luck and let us know.

Thanks Carol for the tip, will def look into the slippery elm (maybe for both Leroy and myself!). I was just a little worried as I hadn't really read a lot about people on EBN feeding the Lamb NVI to their bullies. I have stopped feediing him the salmon variety and I will just try and be patient and not worry so much! I worry soooo much when it comes to Leroy, my husband is always telling me that I over-react...:blush2:

OP
sstewart2010

sstewart2010

Dec 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Leroy
I use NVI LID Lamb and it's been good for my bullies but, that said, ALL bullies are different so what's good for one, might not work for another. Unfortuntely, SO much of finding the right food is trial and error. But NVI is a very high quality food so I think it's definitely worth a try!

Let us know how it goes!

i know that is what makes this so hard! I know that it is a good food, just have to take the time and see if it's right for Leroy. Did you find that you have to feed your boys less of the NVI lamb than of other brands of foods? I was feeding him Fromm's before this and I was giving him about 2 cups a day but with NVI I am finding out that one cup fed throughout the day seems to be enough...maybe because it's a more dense food?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks Carol for the tip, will def look into the slippery elm (maybe for both Leroy and myself!). I was just a little worried as I hadn't really read a lot about people on EBN feeding the Lamb NVI to their bullies. I have stopped feediing him the salmon variety and I will just try and be patient and not worry so much! I worry soooo much when it comes to Leroy, my husband is always telling me that I over-react...:blush2:

Nawww...you know we all worry over our bullies, heck, we worry
almost as much for each other's bullies too!

Hope the NVI Lamb is the one for Leroy, give him loving from Cami & me.

OP
sstewart2010

sstewart2010

Dec 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Leroy
I, too, just yesterday started the NVI LID lamb. I started Howie with the NVI LID rabbit but he started fluctuating like crazy as I was slowly trying to switch him over from GO grain free and potato free turkey, which was causing itchiness. So I am hoping, keeping my fingers cross, lamb might be the answer. It has been over 5 months looking for the ideal food for my little buddy since he developed allergy to kangaroo.

that is what I am hoping for my boy too, still searching for that perfect food! Good luck to you and Howie as well :)

OP
sstewart2010

sstewart2010

Dec 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Leroy
my boys are on a lamb based protein grain free food and they do best on that compared to salmon or beef. Each bully is different though. I have to make sure to keep mine totally away from potatoes and there are only a couple of grain free foods that are also potato free that I've been able to find

I have found that too while looking at all the foods at the pet store there are many grain free options but not many potato free ones :-( I am trying the potato free route as well, my boy was stinky while on Fromm's so I am hoping the NVI will do the trick...so far he is a lot less stinky!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I have found that too while looking at all the foods at the pet store there are many grain free options but not many potato free ones :-( I am trying the potato free route as well, my boy was stinky while on Fromm's so I am hoping the NVI will do the trick...so far he is a lot less stinky!

Earthborn Holistic and Zignature are the ones I found so far

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
i know that is what makes this so hard! I know that it is a good food, just have to take the time and see if it's right for Leroy. Did you find that you have to feed your boys less of the NVI lamb than of other brands of foods? I was feeding him Fromm's before this and I was giving him about 2 cups a day but with NVI I am finding out that one cup fed throughout the day seems to be enough...maybe because it's a more dense food?

I fed both of my bullies - one about 62 pounds, one a hefty 75 - both one cup in the morning and one at night but Leroy might be satisfied with less - though one cup all day does seem a little light!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Mack ate NVI limited ingredient lamb and did well on a cup twice a day. He got fruit and vegetables too for treats.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.