Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Lamb?

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Lamb?

Quote Originally Posted by sstewart2010 View Post
    I have found that too while looking at all the foods at the pet store there are many grain free options but not many potato free ones :-( I am trying the potato free route as well, my boy was stinky while on Fromm's so I am hoping the NVI will do the trick...so far he is a lot less stinky!
    Earthborn Holistic and Zignature are the ones I found so far
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

i know that is what makes this so hard! I know that it is a good food, just have to take the time and see if it's right for Leroy. Did you find that you have to feed your boys less of the NVI lamb than of other brands of foods? I was feeding him Fromm's before this and I was giving him about 2 cups a day but with NVI I am finding out that one cup fed throughout the day seems to be enough...maybe because it's a more dense food?
    I fed both of my bullies - one about 62 pounds, one a hefty 75 - both one cup in the morning and one at night but Leroy might be satisfied with less - though one cup all day does seem a little light!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Mack ate NVI limited ingredient lamb and did well on a cup twice a day. He got fruit and vegetables too for treats.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Bulldog(s) Names
    Curtis
    Likes (Received)

Curtis was on NVI lamb, both dry kibble and wet, and liked the food a lot. He didn't have any digestion problems, though it did seem to cause more yeast. I have read that the tapioca in NVI may cause the yeast, though it seems to vary a lot dog to dog. We have since switched him to Acana Pacifica, which has helped with the yeast issues.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nova
    Likes (Received)

I was just wondering if Lamb is a good ingredient to feed a bulldog with food allergies? I tried the Salmon variety of this same food but Leroy kept vomiting...been trying the limited ingredient lamb for the past couple weeks as I thought it may help having less ingredients but then as I am reading on-line people are saying lamb is a really rich protein and may not be the best for bulldogs with food allergies. He has thrown up a couple times on this in the past couple of weeks but not as bad as with the salmon variety, I don't want to keep changing foods on my poor boy though :-( other than the vomiting he seems fine, playful and his stools are solid. Also after he throws up he still seems interested in eating, I am having a really hard time with this and I hate to see him uncomfortable! I also have heard that maybe the NVI foods have too much protein for some bullies and that can upset tummies as well so I am a little confused as to if this is a good food for Leroy or not. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks! You guys have helped me out in the past with issues with Leroy and I figured I would come here and see what you guys think.
    We found out that the best protien for sensitive tummies is venison. It is the least complex and most pure, least processed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Dublin is allergic to the "world" so it has been 3 years of trial and error with food and everything else. I have both the bullies on Nutrisca Lamb and Chickpea. It is both grain and potato free. Potatoes are high glycemic food and contribute to production of yeast. I did hours and hours ( maybe days ) of research as she only seemed to get worse on anything that had potato in it. They are doing great on the lamb and I do give them venison sometime and that is good also. They are on a whole host of probiotics and am trying a new series of products that were recommended to me by someone who has a bully with horrible allergies. We are into week three and it seems to be going well. It is a long process but I see good changes in Dublin. If anyone wants to PM me I can give them the website to check out. It is a laborious process and I can't say for sure if it is worth it but to me it is worth trying. So no rice, potato or any high glycemic foods. A goodly amount of veggies help as treats.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

You hit the nail on the head looking for potato free.. We are lucky to have a great holistic pet food store here and I was like a kid in a candy store when I walked in and found they had everything I was looking for. Nutrisca lamb and chickpea is what I am using now but there are others.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Major
    Likes (Received)

I am feeding.major that right now, his poop is like pelllet and very very dry, as in it break a part . I tried theirs rabbit one and its better

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by xskyzx View Post
    I am feeding.major that right now, his poop is like pelllet and very very dry, as in it break a part . I tried theirs rabbit one and its better
    Try adding a little warm water to the food before serving - it worked well for us softening our bullies stools.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Major
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    Try adding a little warm water to the food before serving - it worked well for us softening our bullies stools.
    I did that, sometime.I even add.a lil milk lactose kind , and still.didnt.help

Country
    Miami fl
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biggie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by debruch View Post
    Curtis was on NVI lamb, both dry kibble and wet, and liked the food a lot. He didn't have any digestion problems, though it did seem to cause more yeast. I have read that the tapioca in NVI may cause the yeast, though it seems to vary a lot dog to dog. We have since switched him to Acana Pacifica, which has helped with the yeast issues.
    Was that food potatoe and grain free?

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy0713 View Post
    Was that food potatoe and grain free?
    Jimmy, Acana is grain free. Acana is a high quality kibble. If you only want your dog on kibbles, stick to Acana, Orijen and Fromm.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
    Keep this link in your book marks.

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads