Food advice

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I am thinking about switching foods. Right now we are feeding curly Blue wilderness Puppy and my other 2 dogs are being fed Blue wilderness Salmon. The problem is that the older dogs want the puppy food and the puppy wants the dog food.

It's a lot easier to get the older dogs to stop eating Curlys food but Curly is such a greedy little bugger he just dives into the older dogs bowls. We've tried elevating the older dogs and it worked for a bit but he's grown a bit and figured a way around it haha.

ryqupu2y.jpg

We can't put the bowls any higher because Curly has already out grown our Bugg.

Anyhow, I think there is kibble out there for all ages, or am I making this up? Curly has started to lick his paws so I want to try and change the protein too.

Also, as far as transitioning goes, my husband just bought a huge bag of food for the older dogs and we need more puppy food. Should we just transition using the big dog food instead since curly has been eating that too or should we get a bag of blue wilderness puppy and start the transition with that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I started transitioning Winston to adult kibble around 6 mos, and we started w/the Fromms. I agree it's a lot easier when they all eat the same food, but we have our Boxer on Earthborn. Winston is still on Fromms, but I may have to switch him to Earthborn as well. It's a NEVER ending battle w/the food... UGH!!! Good luck :D

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
We have two dogs, Walley-Bubba who is an English Bulldog that is 11-1/2 months old and Shadow, a toys Yorkie who is 9 years old. They both get the same dry dog food but are fed separately although they will happily share a bowl resulting in the Yorkie getting too fat!. Due to a bad tearing problem, we are switching from Fromm Pork & Peas, which has small kibbles to Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula with Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison which has slightly larger kibbles. Neither brand is "puppy" specific nor was the previous Evo Turkey and Chicken which WB was weaned on but we stopped feeding Evo because Proctor and Gamble had multiple salmonella recalls (bad for humans, not necessarily a problem for dogs, apparently).

I guess it all boils down to what the dogs like and whether or not whatever you choose has any side effects (like tear staining) or produces any alergies (like chicken may in some cases - note the new TOTW we are trying has chicken meal and we think WB may have a chicken alergy, but so far so good, we will see...).

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have said, you can start transition. To adult food at 7/8 months

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm not sure is Blue Buffalo is an all stage food or not. FROMM 4 star foods are. I would buy an other bag of the puppy food you have him on, because he still looks pretty young, unless you are switching them all to an all stage food.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I'm not sure is Blue Buffalo is an all stage food or not. FROMM 4 star foods are. I would buy an other bag of the puppy food you have him on, because he still looks pretty young, unless you are switching them all to an all stage food.

I think at this point we are going to switch them to an all stage food. Our Bugg had minor food aggression when we brought Curly home but we finally nipped that in the butt so I don't want to stop feeding them together (in the same room) after making this much progress with her.

If going to switch to FROMM 4 star food should I transition by buying another bag of blue puppy food or could I use the adult dog food since he is accustom to both? obviously since he is still young we want to make sure he's getting the right nutrition. since the transition will be slow I don't know if that will effect anything nutrition wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If you have enough puppy food for a few days, mix it with the adult and do a transition that why and buy some plain pumpkin to help his tummy during the transition.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online