change in eating

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Has anyone's dog ever just went to eating once a day? Ollie gets fed in the morning and early evening. The past week almost he has let his morning kibble sit and has eaten it at his evening time. It's been out all day and he sees me put it in his bowl but he just doesn't bother with it until his normal dinner time. We haven't switched foods, it's been a good 3 months prob since we did that, he seems fine, nothing else is outta the norm. The first couple of times i gave him a bit extra when he finally ate but then when he kept not eating the morning meal I stopped giving him the extra thinking it was too much and he was still full.. I feed the 4health grain free and according to the bag for his weight he should get 3 cups a day. so he gets 1 1/2 twice, however he's only been eating the 1 1/2 cups. could it be that since we switched from the purina to this he's finally adjusted and maybe doesn't need as much?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Finn will sometimes do that too---not want to eat his morning meal but will eat his pm meal. Does Ollie seem very hungry by the time his evening meal rolls around? does he get snacks thru the day? And does he look like he's lost any wt or has less energy? If he continues to eat only his evening meal maybe you can increase the amount he eats gradually so he's not losing wt/nutrition. I know some folks who feed their dogs (not bullies) once daily so it's not that unusual.

OP
jlcox24

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
No nothing else has changed, he still has the same energy level, and no he doesn't seem starving! We used to feed our Great Dane once a day just b/c of the hours we worked, we both left before 5am and didn't return till about 330. Since i'm home now and we've gotten Ollie and his previous owner said she had fed him 2 times a day we continued with that!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
all three of my boys did that for about 3 weeks a month ago. Fed them in the morning and they wouldn't eat until around 4pm. Sometimes I would give them extra and sometimes not. Just this week they went back to their normal schedule of running to their bowls at 7:30am and again at 6pm. Nothing had changed here either still the same old food. I think it's just a phase they go through but it was weird that all three of mine did it in sync with each other.

OP
jlcox24

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
all three of my boys did that for about 3 weeks a month ago. Fed them in the morning and they wouldn't eat until around 4pm. Sometimes I would give them extra and sometimes not. Just this week they went back to their normal schedule of running to their bowls at 7:30am and again at 6pm. Nothing had changed here either still the same old food. I think it's just a phase they go through but it was weird that all three of mine did it in sync with each other.
Maybe weather change it's finally cooling off here! Btw kim i'm from Brooklyn MI (Jackson) not far from Holt, many trips to the East Lansing Mall!

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
It's definitey odd but at least you are not alone. Ollie knows the food is there so it's not like you are depriving him from eating. Like [MENTION=2152]kim n the guys[/MENTION] said, it may just a phase

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe weather change it's finally cooling off here! Btw kim i'm from Brooklyn MI (Jackson) not far from Holt, many trips to the East Lansing Mall!

I love the Meridian Mall. We should get together for a play date before the weather gets too gloomy

OP
jlcox24

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I love the Meridian Mall. We should get together for a play date before the weather gets too gloomy
Ooops I should have said lived, I meant from like I grew up there!! LOL, we are in NC now, husband is in the Marine Corps!! Yep in HS my friends and I would take off either to EL or Ann Arbor! We went to Okemos mall alot too!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ooops I should have said lived, I meant from like I grew up there!! LOL, we are in NC now, husband is in the Marine Corps!! Yep in HS my friends and I would take off either to EL or Ann Arbor! We went to Okemos mall alot too!

well that stinks that you still don't live so close

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I think it may be too much food for him! With the crappy brands you will need to feed them more but with better food its usually less! We feed Fromm and the bag says Brutus should be eating 4 cups a day! That is way too much food for bullies! I would cut back 1/2 cup at a time and see if it changes! It just may be too much food for him!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Has anyone's dog ever just went to eating once a day? Ollie gets fed in the morning and early evening. The past week almost he has let his morning kibble sit and has eaten it at his evening time. It's been out all day and he sees me put it in his bowl but he just doesn't bother with it until his normal dinner time. We haven't switched foods, it's been a good 3 months prob since we did that, he seems fine, nothing else is outta the norm. The first couple of times i gave him a bit extra when he finally ate but then when he kept not eating the morning meal I stopped giving him the extra thinking it was too much and he was still full.. I feed the 4health grain free and according to the bag for his weight he should get 3 cups a day. so he gets 1 1/2 twice, however he's only been eating the 1 1/2 cups. could it be that since we switched from the purina to this he's finally adjusted and maybe doesn't need as much?
Sheldon does this occasionally, just last night we fed him his evening meal and he wouldn't eat so this morning I mixed some coconut oil in it and he ate it all and he ate tonights meal. I think they just take spells where they won't eat as much I think. That is exactly what I feed Sheldon same food and proportions.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.