food??

shaedeck

Sep 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
What type of food does best for your bullies?? Right now I'm using a mix of purina puppy/adult food.

sethck89

Oct 13, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Humphrey
Hello!

We have been feeding Humphrey Authority (PetSmart's private brand) puppy food and are preparing to switch him over to the adult formula. We have had him on Royal Canin but quickly switched due to the high expense. I have heard that Blue Buffalo tends to cause excess flatulence, but that is a common trait of bulldogs in general. :)

He seems to love the Authority brand, and he has not had any health issues, allergies, or other problems since he has been alive!

Good luck finding Lola the perfect food!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I feed Prey-Model Raw. Yes, I feed meat/bones/organs from the local meat shop so I don't get my food from the Pet Store.

Every Bully reacts differently to different foods so there is not one perfect kibble for a Bully. But, all dogs, bully or non-bully alike, can do better than any of the Purina products.

Here's a list of recommended dog food for English Bulldogs: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...Food-Ratings-amp-Recommended-Dog-food-choices

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hi and welcome on the forum ,sorry i cant find the right link on the app im using -its called dog food rating
Im from uk so i cant advise you regarding food choice but i will share what i know
As a general rule -grain free and more meet content is what i go for -bullies tend to suffer from allergies ,but even if not i try to feed the best food as i can on the end of the day i try not to eat fast food (read crap food lol) every day so my dogs wouldn't neither
Sime food brands have a lot of fillers and as little as 4% of meat content , sometimes i see 30% of meat like Whole chickens”, “choice cuts of beef”, “whole grain brown rice”, “natural”, “wholesome”-are some great catchy phrases This is exactly what the pet food manufacturers want us to believe. They use carefully chosen words What they do not say is that instead of whole chickens they have substituted chicken heads, feet, bones, intestines and bowels. The choice
cuts of beef have been replaced with cow tongues, ,foetal tissue dangerously high in hormones, and possibly diseased The “whole grains” are usually “cereal by products.” Many have had the starch removed and the oil extracted usually by chemical processing.
Then just to make sure the food is nutritious, the pet food companies “fortify” it with vitamins.
I know it sound ridiculous but i used to but eukanuba,purina and royal canin -thinking this must be a holly grail of dog food ....until i sat down and studied all the stuff they put in
I came a long way and a harsh one -when one of my dog died on cancer-i blame myself by thinking that all "premium store" brands must be good-they where not! And while learning how to deal with allergies
I also tend to use food companies that use meat that is fit for human consumption -when we use "wet trays"

Last edited:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
First off welcome. There is some great information above me you have been given already. I am no food expert and I was shell shocked when i bought my first bag of Fromm's for $72 for 26lbs. Every bully is indeed different so what works for one won't always for for another. Other things to keep in mind is that when you use a higher quality food you tend to have savings in the long run as you usually feed your pup less as the food gives them what they need in less quantity than other lower quality brands so you don't have to buy as often and then you are also looking at a greater possibility of lower vet bills related to allergies and such. However, don't over extend yourself but purchase the highest quality your budget can afford and supplement from there. In our case we are actually saving money as the Fromm's we get for Harlea lasts right around 3 months before we have to buy it again.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
We feed June Fromm Puppy and in a few months we will switch her to their grain-free 4 star line.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some great advice about and as [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] has said most cheap foods are just crap. Purina is not a very good food, and I would never feed my bullies that. We feed FROMM Pork and Peas.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi there and Welcome to the site! This is a great question and its very hard sometimes to find the right food for our bullies!! Fromm is a great food and most bullies do well with the Beef Frittatta! They also have different flavors grain free and regualr! your best bet would be to look at the ratings page and choose from there! you can also order from petflow.com they have great prices :) We pay a little more b/c we go to the local pet store (family owned) they are great people and Brutus and Chanel love the trips there!

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Can't give too much insight since I'm on my first but Rocco eats. Fromms beef frittata

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Hollys doing great on Fromms Beef Frittata.

I really think the cost depends on how you look at it. I buy Fromms from a local pet store and a 26lb bag costs around $80 after tax. So if you take 80 and divide by 26 you get $3.08 per pound. If I could buy myself a pound of high quality food for $3 I'd be pretty darn happy with that. Maybe it's just me. :cooking:

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston is on Blue Buffalo's sensitive stomach food. He does well on it, but I was thinking about switching him to Fromm since I finally found a place that sells it! Fromm is such a great food, but I'd have to find sensitive stomach stuff for Winston since he's just a natural room-clearer with his gas. I swear we could bottle it & sell it to the government as biological weaponry.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My boys eat raw. If I would feed kibble I would choose one that has real ingredients in it, with no filler or grain. If it's full of chemical ingredients, corn, wheat, by-products and meals it's just no good no matter what the adds tell you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.