Canidae Kibble.. has anyone tried?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
A couple of weeks ago I went to AKC's "Meet the Breeds" at the Jacob Javits center in NY.

There were a lot of various Kibble companies there, but the one that caught my attention was, Canidae.

They have a line of grain free kibble called "Pure" that only contain between 7-10 ingredients. I was specifically interested in the Salmon, and the rep. gave me a bunch of samples. He said the owner of the company use
to breed bullies so he understands their "special" needs diet.

This is directly from their site: "All CANIDAE products are proudly made in the United States of America using the highest quality U.S. ingredients. All formulations are produced in USDA, FDA, and AAFCO approved facilities. The nutritionally dense fresh meats and meals we use originate from USDA inspected meats processed in a human grade facility. Our high quality grains, vegetables, and fruits are from human grade producers. All CANIDAE dry goods, cans, and treats are naturally preserved. All of our commodities have undergone stringent testing procedures prior to going into any of our products—assuring safety and freshness for both your pets and ours."

So my question is, has anyone here tried them? I never see them mentioned and am wondering why?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Canidae was a brand I tried on Tate when he was younger and I thought it was a good food. I don't recall having any issues really with it, and the reason why I switched him was b/c I was still trying out different brands at the time, kind of experimenting still. I eventually had to do home cooking for him b/c of his bad tear stains. But anyways, Canidae is rated 5 stars which is very good. Here's a link to the dog food ratings we have on the forum:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
ooh, thanks. I think they've changed their grain free formula since the time the food was rated. Hoping it's still 5 stars.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Sounds like good stuff but I've never heard of them. How long has Canidae been around? Another concern would be how easy it is to get a hold of it.

I wanted to go to the Javits Center for that! I'm upset it passed and I completely forgot!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Sounds like good stuff but I've never heard of them. How long has Canidae been around? Another concern would be how easy it is to get a hold of it.

I wanted to go to the Javits Center for that! I'm upset it passed and I completely forgot!

Not sure how long it's been around, but one of the reasons I'm so interested in it is because it's so easy to get. Petco carries it which means I don't need to order.

Meet the Breeds was soo much fun. I of course hung around the bullie booth..lol.. The bulldog breeder knew who my pups sire was. We had a chat about that line of bullies.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Not sure how long it's been around, but one of the reasons I'm so interested in it is because it's so easy to get. Petco carries it which means I don't need to order.

Meet the Breeds was soo much fun. I of course hung around the bullie booth..lol.. The bulldog breeder knew who my pups sire was. We had a chat about that line of bullies.

That's awesome! I would have hung by the same both lol. Actually just passed the javits center haha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I tried it years ago, before they changed their formula. I think they actually improved it from what it was before so I would say its worth a try :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I heard that it is the best food you can buy for any dog in Australia. What are the odds that you would meet someone who knows Blueberrys sire!! That's incredible!!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I tried it years ago, before they changed their formula. I think they actually improved it from what it was before so I would say its worth a try :up:

If you get a chance, take a look at the ingredients for their "Pure" line of grain free kibble. Let me know what you think.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If you get a chance, take a look at the ingredients for their "Pure" line of grain free kibble. Let me know what you think.

It looks VERY good. I only looked at the Lamb "elements" one, but wow I'm impressed. Dog food advisor also gives it 5 stars.

http://www.canidae.com/dogs/grain-free/dry/pure-elements-lamb

Notably, the Guaranteed Analysis also contains Probiotics! Excellent.

Downside, a lot of different proteins in here. It could go both ways. Either not enough of each one to cause a major allergic reaction, or due to so many it won't be easily to identify if there is one.

I think I may order a bag for Molly, she does really good on Lamb and Fromm doesn't have a Lamb formula :up:

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I heard that it is the best food you can buy for any dog in Australia. What are the odds that you would meet someone who knows Blueberrys sire!! That's incredible!!

Well, they're a kennel from Long Island, and Blue's sire is also from a Long Island kennel so they know they eachother. They also wanted to use him for one of their litters, but he's now in Mexico.

It looks VERY good. I only looked at the Lamb "elements" one, but wow I'm impressed. Dog food advisor also gives it 5 stars.

http://www.canidae.com/dogs/grain-free/dry/pure-elements-lamb

Notably, the Guaranteed Analysis also contains Probiotics! Excellent.

Downside, a lot of different proteins in here. It could go both ways. Either not enough of each one to cause a major allergic reaction, or due to so many it won't be easily to identify if there is one.

I think I may order a bag for Molly, she does really good on Lamb and Fromm doesn't have a Lamb formula :up:

Excellent!
I was looking into the Salmon formula and it only contains Salmon and Menhaden which I'm sure is fine.
Only thing I'm concerned with is the peas. Blue did horribly on Pork and Peas so I'm a little hesitant to try, even though I'm pretty sure it was the Pork.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe try giving him some "human" peas, see if he has a reaction to them?

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Good idea. Will try it once allergy season is over. He's a bit pink these last few weeks so if I give them now, I won't be able to tell if it's peas or allergies.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Buster came to me eating Canidae. He did excellent on it. I switched him to Ruggles' NVI Ltd. Ingred. in hopes that Ruggles would quit eating Buster's poop. If Ruggles can eat a Canidae I'd go back to it!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Buster came to me eating Canidae. He did excellent on it. I switched him to Ruggles' NVI Ltd. Ingred. in hopes that Ruggles would quit eating Buster's poop. If Ruggles can eat a Canidae I'd go back to it!

Good to hear, thanks for the input.
It's definitely something I'm willing to try once allergy season is over.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.