Eating portion and timeframe

ozzybabyboy

Aug 12, 2013
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
How often and how much are you all feeding your bullies? Our bully Just turned 1 yesterday and we have normally been feeding him 1 cup in the morning and one in the evening. We feed him NOW! Grain free adult dry food, a lot of people are telling us he is a little overweight and we should feed him less so I figured I would ask for your opinion.

Here he is laying down before he eats
megenydu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, our guys are 21 months old, they both weigh 45 lbs. My vet says she would like to see them more around 40 lbs, I don't think they look overweight, but she says it's better for their joints to be on the lighter side. We feed them the same as you, 1 cup of kibble in the morning, and 1 cup of kibble in the evening. They get 1 Tbsp. of plain unsweetened yogurt on their morning kibble, and we give them cooked vegetables, on their evening meal. We give them whatever we are eating for dinner, such as cooked broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, or green beans. We feed them Fromm's Beef Frittata. Our vet suggested we feed 1 cup in the morning, and reduce the amount to 3/4 of a cup in the evening. How much does weigh? Ozzy looks good to me.

Heres some pictures of my two guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 144

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea is just over 5 months old and she gets 1 cup 2x a day morning and night for her meals and fruits and veggies as snacks during the day and she is right around 26lbs right now.

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I feed Zeus like you, diff times of course. 1cup at 8am and another at 3pm.. Wow mine weights 55 lbs and the vet said he was perfect. I think Zeus is heavy but really thin. This is how he looked like at about 55. I kind of think he might of gained weight not a lot but some. I think he looks good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 155

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco is getting 1 cup 3 times daily. I was feeding him 1/2 cup 3 times a day until our last vet visit 10/5. The Vet told me 3 cups a day until he is 1 yr. He also recommended to start weaning out his lunch meal little by little (which I have yet to start). The plan is 1 cup morning and 1 cup evening once he turns 1. Rocco is 4 months old and is about 27 lbs.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
This is a good question. I feed Brutus 1 cup in morning with plain unsweetened greek yogurt and the same thing in the evening. I was looking at him last night and thought he might be a little chubby. He weighs 51 pounds last time weighed and is a few days shy of 11 mos. old. I wonder if I should decrease the evening meal as well???

OP
ozzybabyboy

ozzybabyboy

Aug 12, 2013
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
Thanks to everyone for your replies, maybe will have to add some veggies and more exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We feed 3/4 twice a day -lily is 6 months old -i like to keep her on a leaner side-good for her health -she also loves long walks and shes quite active
I think the amount that you feed depends on excursive level weight and age -it can be a hit and miss until you work out best quantities for your baby the best way is by observing their bodies ,bulldogs shouldn't be overweight xx

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Chesty is almost 14 months old he weighs 50 pounds. he gets a 2 sometimes 2 1/2 cups a day. with fruits and veggies. My vet said his weight is good and he's not over weight. but I did just switch his dog food to the Fromm brand he is eating the Beef fritta. 1011408_10200783627332038_866194224_n.jpg not the best picture to show his weight because he is laying on his side/back. 1176348_10201042641807238_1800637071_n.jpg this might be a better picture. but i will also mention he was the runt of his litter he was only 9 pounds when i got him at 12 weeks old and his brothers and sisters were all 18 to 20. his mom had a pretty big litter with a grand total of 6

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Thanks to everyone for your replies, maybe will have to add some veggies and more exercise.

Don't add veggies if you're feeding good quality kibble. Dogs can't process too much carbs or sugars efficiently and will cause a spike in glucose levels which will make it harder for your dog to maintain healthy weight. Good quality kibbles already have a balanced vitamins and mineral content which eliminates the need for supplemental minerals unless you're targetting a specific health issue.

Exercise is great. It builds muscle so it will add healthy bulk and increase metabolism. Just be careful with overheating.

How much to feed your dog depends on what kind of food you are feeding him. The bag usually comes with a feeding guideline. High protein dog food is great for healthy dogs because it means it has lower carbs. Protein is the main source of energy to support a dog's cellular activity. It gets used before carbs. Extra carbs then would be stored as fat. Usually, a dog food low in protein would come with a higher recommended amount per serving. Low protein means high carbs which makes it harder for the dog to burn up the extra carbs. So, go with higher protein (all 4 star and above rated foods are good protein foods), then start off with the recommended serving on the bag. Then observe your dog. If he's getting too fat, reduce the serving size. If he gets too skinny, increase the serving size. Each dog would have a different intake level because each dog has a different metabolism rate that goes with his specific activity level. So, keen observation and tweaking... it's what you need.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
This makes me wonder if I am over feeding Sheldon the vet says his weight is fine for a bully his size he is nearly two and weighs in at 60.8 lbs I feed him 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1-1 1/2 cups at night depending on his activity level that day and I have always gone by the feeding guidelines on the bag of food.

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
Gypsy is 40lbs. I feed her 3/4 cup of kibble in the morning and another 3/4 cup at night. When I come home for lunch she gets a handfull of veggies (green beans, broccoli, or carrots) to eat while I eat lunch.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
This makes me wonder if I am over feeding Sheldon the vet says his weight is fine for a bully his size he is nearly two and weighs in at 60.8 lbs I feed him 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1-1 1/2 cups at night depending on his activity level that day and I have always gone by the feeding guidelines on the bag of food.

If your bulldog does not look fat then you are not overfeeding your dog. My bully is 65 lbs.

You will know if your dog is fat because his belly will hang down from his body. Also, you will feel a flubbery layer in the widest part of his ribs. Also, you will see that he has the "barrel" look when looking at him from above where his waistline is the same width as his body.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Forgot to add ,i found this "guide" very handy ;-)
And if you feed any treats -reduce the food intake accordingly
9ugapapa.jpg

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I know it is to each his own when it comes to feeding your dog. I'm just worried that many people seem to be giving their dog supplemental veggies. Veggies work differently in a dog than in a human. You give your children lots of veggies - even an all veggie diet if they eat a lot of them with enough protein. But you need to limit the amount of fruit and veggies your dog eats. They can't process it as efficiently as humans can. It puts stress on their system. And definitely avoid raw veggies. A dog has a short digestive track and will not be able to break down raw veggies properly. It's the same when they eat grass outside. You will notice that the grass comes out in their poop still looking like grass.

If you look at the recommended dog food on this site, you will notice that the food on that list has a limited amount of plant matter and heavy on animal meat. It would not make sense to then upset that rating by adding more plant matter as a supplement...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.