7 month Olde English Bulldogge always has soft stool

jmeforgy

Oct 13, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
I am new to this forum and hope someone can give me some advice. I have a 7 month Olde English Bulldogge puppy and he has always had soft stool. We were feeding him Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy food since he was 10 weeks old. I switched his food to Blue Buffalo Grain Free Wilderness Puppy and his stool was firm for maybe 2 weeks then slowly got softer. Now it is back to being very soft stool. He has been on this food for 2 months now. He eats 3 cups of food a day...1 cups 3 times daily. We were giving him a multi vitamin and salmon oil everyday as well. I took him off the vitamin to see if that was the problem but it didn't make a difference. Am I feeding him too much? Is the protein too high in this food? Also he is 65lbs but not fat. His dad was a big boy.

OP
J

jmeforgy

Oct 13, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
image.jpgimage.jpgHere is a pic of my sweet boy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=10066]jmeforgy[/MENTION] He is a handsome boy for sure. Usually soft stool in a pup means too much food, but at his size I wouldn't think 3 cups a day is too much. Might try just for a few days to decrease his food intake just a little bit, maybe 2 1/2 cups a day to see if that helps. Also what kind of treats does he get? they too play a role in the amount he gets.

Last edited:

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
He is a big beautiful boy!! What I have read on here I would feed him a bland diet till his stools firm up then slowly introduce the kibble back in and see if that makes the difference if it does then you might have to move on to a new food. Food is trial and error we have gone through this with our big boy Sheldon and I think we have finally found a good one that works for him. Keep in mind what works for one may not work for another.

OP
J

jmeforgy

Oct 13, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
I will try to decrease his food and see if that helps. He is such a pig I'm sure he won't be very happy with me! He would eat all day if I let him. He eats his food SO fast and is always trying to eat my other dog's food as well. He gets the Blue Buffalo puppy treats. They are tiny little treats and he only gets a couple of them a day.

OP
J

jmeforgy

Oct 13, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
I have done the bland diet. When he goes back to the kibble his stool gets soft again. Even got some chicken with the ground bone and marrow to give him with the kibble but that didn't help either. Some people have said that the puppy food is too rich for some. Wondering if he is too young to switch him to adult food?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=10066]jmeforgy[/MENTION], knock me in the head, I just noticed he is 7 months old. Yes, he can be put on adult food now. Just do a slow transition.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beauty he is.... Greta looking boy. Other have given Greta advice... I just wanted to say :welcome3: to EBN

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I have no advice, but just wanted to say your boy is one handsome Bully!

harvey

Sep 6, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey and Tommy
It's the salmon oil; it's got to be. Try eliminating it for a week to see what happens. Maybe just give him oil every other day if you find that this is what makes his stool loose.

Good luck.

OP
J

jmeforgy

Oct 13, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
I didn't even think to consider that it could be the salmon oil! I will stop giving him that first before I get into switching up the food again. Thanks!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.