Help Needed! At A Loss in food area

Chloejean04

Oct 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tinkerbelle
So I have a 17 week old English and since I had gotten her I had her on Blue Wilderness. She did great on it for a while, but then the Blue was causing her AWFUL extreme gas and severely loose stools so about 2.5 weeks ago I switched to the Fromm Beef frittata veg.

Writhin a few days of being solely on the Fromm her stools were great and she was down to almost no gas. However, now 2.5 weeks in she out of no where is getting explosive diarrhea. Explosive to the point where she comes in from outside and it is all over her, and she couldn't even hold it last night so she went all over her crate(I mean ALL over), something totally unlike her.

I'm just at a loss of what to do food wise for her. I know switching them all the time isn't good, but it's the point where she's losing control of her bowels. It also seems that she does great at first in a food and then goes downhill which just seems weird to me. She is my first bully so I'm just not sure what to do at this point. Any ideas?

She doesn't have any parasites she was fecal tested a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I'm not much help, but Welcome and shortly someone will be along who can help you better! Good luck, and you've come to the right place!

ebulldoglover

Jul 13, 2013
Vermont
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
EB are so prone to food allergies that there is no, "one food fits all dogs" cure. I finally resorted, (with the help of my holistic vet) in designing a home made diet that has worked wonders. I hope that you have ruled out medical issues first with your vet? As a transition I have switched (temporarily) to ground bison(available at most grocery stores/Costco) and mixed it with brown rice with one big TBLS of pure pumpkin (not pie filling) 3x a day. Stay on that until the diarrhea stops. Then formulate a plan going onward. Your vet might prescribe Metaclopramide to help with this. If you decide to go with a home prepared meal plan, I am happy to help. Just let me know.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It sounds like there is something else going on here.... :(

Explosive diarrhea, what I refer to as "cannon butt", needs to be checked by a vet. Giardia causes cannon butt as well as other parasites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
C

Chloejean04

Oct 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tinkerbelle
Yea she is as healthy as can be with no medical issues, and as far as I know no allergies, although this is making me wonder.

I would wonder if it was something like a parasite except the Blue buffalo caused her to have extreme diarrhea too except not to this extent. I am putting a call into my vet and seeing what she says and dropping her to a bland diet--just hate seeing my puppy so miserable.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I am of no help with the poo but we have been on the food journey with our bully and we have finally found something that works. Hugs and muzzies for your fur baby I have heard of others on here talk about a bland diet which as I understand it is boiled hamburger/chicken and rice with some beef or chicken broth. Just make sure the liquid intake stays adequate because with that they can become very dehydrated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yea she is as healthy as can be with no medical issues, and as far as I know no allergies, although this is making me wonder.

I would wonder if it was something like a parasite except the Blue buffalo caused her to have extreme diarrhea too except not to this extent. I am putting a call into my vet and seeing what she says and dropping her to a bland diet--just hate seeing my puppy so miserable.

Keep us posted... I am thinking as others stated... may be giardia -- get a poo test done

OP
C

Chloejean04

Oct 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tinkerbelle
She has an appointment for this afternoon so I'll keep you all posted on what they say.

If not a parasite could she just be allergic to the beef? Should I just switch to a salmon or off the Fromm completely?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She has an appointment for this afternoon so I'll keep you all posted on what they say.

If not a parasite could she just be allergic to the beef? Should I just switch to a salmon or off the Fromm completely?

It could be. Starting her on the bland diet is the best thing to do and whatever else the vet says. Sorry she's going through this right now. I'm sure the vet will get to the bottom of it. Please keep us posted and :welcome: you came to the right place. :)

OP
C

Chloejean04

Oct 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tinkerbelle
Well we got my girl's stool issues debunked. It's stress colitis. I took a trip and left a friend to look after Tink, my EB, for a few days and that's what caused it. Can't believe it didn't even cross my mind.

Vet did give her antibiotic just in cars as well as probiotics. She doesn't think its food allergies since tink was doing so well on it for 3 weeks and now this.

Thanks everyone for all your help and ideas :) so thankful for this forum

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So glad you found the cause. Hope she gets better soon.

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Our fur babies tummies are so sensitive, Tucker got in my pantry and stole a potato, he had really explosive diarrhea..took me a couple of days to put two and two together

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad to hear he's on the mend! Keep us posted :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Happy you joined up! I hope Tink feels better real soon. :up:

Bbbimaj

Jul 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
Sounds like Giardiasis..... When I first got Boss, he had giardia 4 times in the span of a few months..... It is highly contagious. If you live near the woods, don't walk him there until he is older and his immune system is developed. If the last you saw the vet was a couple weeks ago, you shroud go back and get it rechecked. The same thing happened to us.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.