What is in that treat you are giving your English Bulldog?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Last night, I saw that cute little commercial for "Beggin' Strips". I will post the commercial below.

I wondered to myself, to those who now know about the benefits of a healthy diet, do they still give treats such as these? If you are feeding a good kibble like Fromm, Natures Variety or Natures Logic, you will not be doing any good if you feed bad treats too.

These are the ingredients found in the 'bacon and cheese' flavored treats:

The website would not allow me to copy and paste those ingredients, but you can verify them here: Purina Beggin© Brand Dog Treats: Home

Ground wheat, corn gluten meal, wheat flour, ground yellow corn, water, sugar, glycerin, soybean meal, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, bacon (preserved with sodium nitrate), salt, bacon fat (preserved with BHA), meat, phosphoric acid, sorbic acid (a preservative), dried cheese powder, calcium propionate (a preservative), natural and artificial smoke flavors, added color (red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 1)

I do not see ONE good ingredient in these. Well, except WATER!!!! Think you are giving your dog bacon? (which is not good for them anyway) Think again! There is barely any bacon in these!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Before I knew better those were Vegas's most favorite treats, :eek: that is actually how I got him 100% housebroke, he only got those when he pottied outside, no other times. He went from those to baby carrots and fruits, lol. I do buy the Nature's Variety dog bisquits for his special treats now. If it were up to him he would most certainly pick those, but as long as he has anything to eat he is happy!:yes:

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I dont think most people think about what is in the food or treats they feed their dogs. Believe it or not...my bullies' Favorite treats are green beans, carrots and apples. A bag of frozen green beans are $1...why spend $4-$5 on a bag of processed crap? :confused:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
about once a week we will give lex some beggin treats... mainly it carrots yogurt and cottage cheese

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
It's kind of like human food, I suppose - the stuff that tastes the best is the worst for you. I sometimes wish I couldn't reach the cupboards and had someone feeding me only healthy treats!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Gracie has been on Nutro Natural Choice treats lately but also has been a bit itchy so we need to get her a different treat. My point is that even if it is a good treat, some Princesses are just sensitive to certain things.... I wonder if she would feel it if she slept on a pea... LOL

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I feed mine those sample bags of Fromm or Nature's Logic that I get and feed them as treats. The dogs don't know the difference and they are small enough to use a training treats too. I also like Zukes Organic treats.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva gets veggies, fruit, yogurt and pumpkin, occasionally on a holiday I get her a bone from Petsmart but thats like 3 or 4 times a year! No more bad treats for her! It sucks that stores can sell such crap and yes it does cost alot of money! :down:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.