Time for a food change?

L

lazysue

Hi! I'm new here and would love some advice/opinions. I currently have a sweet, male, 15-month old English Bulldog named Tank. I've always fed him Fromm Grain-Free dry dog food, switching between the grain-free "flavors." I also add a Tbsp. of a little something extra to each feeding: pumpkin, cottage cheese, brown rice, veggies, etc. This has been working for us. His coat, stools, breath, eyes, ears, weight, have been perfect w/our vet agreeing he's doing well. Unfortunately, about two months ago, he started having looser stools/diarrhea. He still only poops approx. 2x/day, so frequency didn't increase, just the messiness (ew!). Since he was his same sweet, active self, I gave it some time, but it didn't get better. He tested negative for parasites and the vet put him on Flagyl for a week, which helped a bit, but when the week was up, so was the loose poo. After doing a bit of research, I decided to try a product called Organic Pet Superfood for Digestion (natural enzymes, prebiotics, & dietary fiber) which is a powder that I sprinkle over Tank's food, 1/4 tsp./day. It worked .... or has for the past week! Although I'm thrilled, I'm wondering if I should just stick w/what I'm doing, or try introducing a new food all together (Acana & TOTW were my current considerations.) I also have an approx. 3-year old white Boxer mix (female) w/some minor deformities that eats the same as Tank and, besides kinda gross, dirty ears, she also has done well on our feeding regime.
Please know, these two dogs are my first EVER, so I don't have anything to compare this to. Thanks for taking the time to read, I appreciate any feedback. Switch food or keep doing what I'm doing? Also, does anyone else have any experience w/the Organic Pet Superfood products?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi and :welcome3: to EBN!

I am wondering if it is not the food, but environmental allergies? My boy would always have soft-serve :poo: when his allergies were bothering him. Notice any other changes with Tank/.... watery eyes or red chin?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I don't have any experience with this so I would listen to the people here who do, but if it's working why not leave it alone?

OP
L

lazysue

Thanks for the welcome! I've lurked too long. :)
I never noticed any watery eyes, red chin, or really anything out of the ordinary, besides the poo. His appearance, activity level & everything in between, stayed the same. He did throw me an apologetic glance every now & then when I had to clean him & "it" up.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
One thing that I will recommend is probiotics Loki was having a problem with soft serve poop we put him on probiotics and he has been good to go since.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.