Food Change: How long does it take to see a difference?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
This is a pretty general question but does anyone know, roughly, how long it takes to see a difference in the condition of your bully once you change foods?

One of the reasons I ask is because I changed Truman from one protein to another on his normal NVI LID and I noticed he has something that looks like a hot spot on his neck ... but it's also a big change of season right now in AZ and he was wandering around in some high weeds recently, so I'm not sure what to think. He's been on the new protein for roughly 7 days so I wasn't sure if that was long enough to be the cause?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be a mix of the two changes, environmental and protein, in most cases you'll see a change in a couple weeks. But some noticed bad reactions in a few days and if the protein is not right for him, the additional outside changes are causing the immune system to weaken quicker.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Ive been wondering the same thing because Ive changed Chums food three times since July and wondered if I give him long enough on one before I move on..

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It could be, but usually a few weeks for the change. It could also just be seasonal allergies.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I just talked to the relief vet at my vet's office and she seemed very knowledgable re. food and allergies; she told me to give a new protein a min. of 2 months. She said it's not a good idea to switch proteins/food every so often b/c you won't be giving the new food a good trial period. I've been giving Finn the same food, [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION], as Truman's. In the past i would switch from the lamb, to the pork, to beef...all in a short period of time but i'm going to stick with the lamb for now and see how he does.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.