Thread: We're eating POOP!!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Khaleesi
    Likes (Received)

Default We're eating POOP!!

So for the past couple of days poop has been okay. Not perfect, but much better because we've been much more strict on feeding amount. (right now we're at 3/4 c. twice a day Fromms Beef Fritatta with some green beans as snacks) But this poor baby is starving. She's acting like a crazy dog begging, and jumping up on trash cans, the pantry, etc. And this morning my husband called to tell me she was eating her own poop. Is this a hunger thing? Or just a gross dog thing?

I normally give her tons of kisses, but I'm sure not kissing poopy dog lips now!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: We're eating POOP!!

Ut-oh

I'm sure if you are cutting back to resolve poo issues she probably is hungry, it takes time to adjust. If the poop gets really hard you'll know that is not enough and you will find a happy medium and increase it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

If she is still under 6 months of age, I would feed her 3 times a day. The poop eating could be from hunger, but sometimes, they just like to eat poop.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I agree, she should be eating 1 cup three times a day, if she is under the age of 6 months, and if she is over 6 months, feed her 1 cup twice a day. Some dogs just like to eat poop, it is called Coprophagia, and sometimes it can be the food. My male Dozer started eating his poop last summer when I did a food change to Go Natural, it caused him to get diarrhea, and it turns out the food was too rich, as it has lots of fruits and vegetables in it, so my vet said because it was causing him to have diarrhea, he wasn't digesting all of his food, he was pooping it out, so he was still hungry, and because the food was so rich, it probably tasted good to him. YUCK. When we switched his food, the poop eating stopped. Whew.
    Last edited by Vikinggirl; 09-28-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Khaleesi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    I agree, she should be eating 1 cup three times a day, if she is under the age of 6 months, and if she is over 6 months, feed her 1 cup twice a day. Some dogs just like to eat poop, it is called, and sometimes it can be the food. My male Dozer started eating his poop last summer when I did a food change to Go Natural, it caused him to get diarrhea, and it turns out the food was too rich, as it has lots of fruits and vegetables in it, so my vet said because it was causing him to have diarrhea, he wasn't digesting all of his food, he was pooping it out, so he was still hungry, and because the food was so rich, it probably tasted good to him. YUCK. When we switched his food, the poop eating stopped. Whew.
    Is three cups a day not too much food? When we were feeding more than 1 1/2 a day she was pooping really badly (a lot and really soft)

We used to feed three times a day, but that wasn't always possible with school and work schedules.

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AngAngeles13 View Post
    Is three cups a day not too much food? When we were feeding more than 1 1/2 a day she was pooping really badly (a lot and really soft)

We used to feed three times a day, but that wasn't always possible with school and work schedules.
    At 8 weeks old they eat about 1.5 cups a day, and by 5 months about 3 cups. Then after about 1.5 years or sooner you can go down again to 2 cups. So I guess depending in her age is where she "should be at ". Some bullies are just more sensitive.

So maybe by tomorrow her poo will have settled and you can increase to 1 c a day. Some bullies can never handle more than 1 cup per meal though. Most can though

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Khaleesi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    At 8 weeks old they eat about 1.5 cups a day, and by 5 months about 3 cups. Then after about 1.5 years or sooner you can go down again to 2 cups. So I guess depending in her age is where she "should be at ". Some bullies are just more sensitive.

So maybe by tomorrow her poo will have settled and you can increase to 1 c a day. Some bullies can never handle more than 1 cup per meal though. Most can though

Thank you! She is right at 16 weeks old right now.

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AngAngeles13 View Post
    Thank you! She is right at 16 weeks old right now.
    I think at that age I was feedjng about a cup (maybe a bit more) each meal .

Looking forward to good poop news!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Each bully is different in how much food they can eat, it's really trial and error, and you can judge by their poops. The general rule of thumb is 1 cup three times a day when they are under 6 months of age, and then reduce it to 1 cup twice a day, but if it causes diarrhea or soft serve poops, then reduce the food to 1 1/3 cups, and see how the poops are, and if still not firm but soft, then reduce again to 1 1/2, until you see the right consistency of the poop, and they should go 2 or 3 times a day as well.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Remove Ads