We're eating POOP!!

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
So for the past couple of days poop has been okay. Not perfect, but much better because we've been much more strict on feeding amount. (right now we're at 3/4 c. twice a day Fromms Beef Fritatta with some green beans as snacks) But this poor baby is starving. She's acting like a crazy dog begging, and jumping up on trash cans, the pantry, etc. And this morning my husband called to tell me she was eating her own poop. Is this a hunger thing? Or just a gross dog thing?

I normally give her tons of kisses, but I'm sure not kissing poopy dog lips now!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ut-oh :eek:

I'm sure if you are cutting back to resolve poo issues she probably is hungry, it takes time to adjust. If the poop gets really hard you'll know that is not enough and you will find a happy medium and increase it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If she is still under 6 months of age, I would feed her 3 times a day. The poop eating could be from hunger, but sometimes, they just like to eat poop.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:gimmefood:I agree, she should be eating 1 cup three times a day, if she is under the age of 6 months, and if she is over 6 months, feed her 1 cup twice a day. Some dogs just like to eat poop, it is called Coprophagia, and sometimes it can be the food. My male Dozer started eating his poop last summer when I did a food change to Go Natural, it caused him to get diarrhea, and it turns out the food was too rich, as it has lots of fruits and vegetables in it, so my vet said because it was causing him to have diarrhea, he wasn't digesting all of his food, he was pooping it out, so he was still hungry, and because the food was so rich, it probably tasted good to him. YUCK. When we switched his food, the poop eating stopped. Whew.

Last edited:
OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
:gimmefood:I agree, she should be eating 1 cup three times a day, if she is under the age of 6 months, and if she is over 6 months, feed her 1 cup twice a day. Some dogs just like to eat poop, it is called, and sometimes it can be the food. My male Dozer started eating his poop last summer when I did a food change to Go Natural, it caused him to get diarrhea, and it turns out the food was too rich, as it has lots of fruits and vegetables in it, so my vet said because it was causing him to have diarrhea, he wasn't digesting all of his food, he was pooping it out, so he was still hungry, and because the food was so rich, it probably tasted good to him. YUCK. When we switched his food, the poop eating stopped. Whew.

Is three cups a day not too much food? When we were feeding more than 1 1/2 a day she was pooping really badly (a lot and really soft)

We used to feed three times a day, but that wasn't always possible with school and work schedules. :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is three cups a day not too much food? When we were feeding more than 1 1/2 a day she was pooping really badly (a lot and really soft)

We used to feed three times a day, but that wasn't always possible with school and work schedules. :(

At 8 weeks old they eat about 1.5 cups a day, and by 5 months about 3 cups. Then after about 1.5 years or sooner you can go down again to 2 cups. So I guess depending in her age is where she "should be at ". Some bullies are just more sensitive.

So maybe by tomorrow her poo will have settled and you can increase to 1 c a day. Some bullies can never handle more than 1 cup per meal though. Most can though :)

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
At 8 weeks old they eat about 1.5 cups a day, and by 5 months about 3 cups. Then after about 1.5 years or sooner you can go down again to 2 cups. So I guess depending in her age is where she "should be at ". Some bullies are just more sensitive.

So maybe by tomorrow her poo will have settled and you can increase to 1 c a day. Some bullies can never handle more than 1 cup per meal though. Most can though :)

Thank you! :) She is right at 16 weeks old right now.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you! :) She is right at 16 weeks old right now.

I think at that age I was feedjng about a cup (maybe a bit more) each meal :).

Looking forward to good poop news!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Each bully is different in how much food they can eat, it's really trial and error, and you can judge by their poops. The general rule of thumb is 1 cup three times a day when they are under 6 months of age, and then reduce it to 1 cup twice a day, but if it causes diarrhea or soft serve poops, then reduce the food to 1 1/3 cups, and see how the poops are, and if still not firm but soft, then reduce again to 1 1/2, until you see the right consistency of the poop, and they should go 2 or 3 times a day as well.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.