URGENT!!! Will barely eat after surgery. Need Ideas..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue had surgery two days ago to correct his cherry eye. He also had his soft palate reduced, and tonsils and saccules removed.

The Vets said to feed him wet food but if that wasn't possible, to add water to the dry so it can soften up.
Well, he won't eat his dry food with water. He smells it and walks away. So I've been hand feeding him 2 kibble of dry at a time, but it's taking so long, and he's on anti anxiety meds so he doesn't have the strength to get through a meal, and just winds up walking away to fall asleep.
As of now, his total intake has been less than a cup of food since last night.
He's on various meds. and needs to eat!! I'm getting worried.

What can I do?? He's on Fromm four star (grain free) Salmon Tunalini right now. He can't eat anything with Beef as he starts to itch his face right away. Same thing when he was on Pork and Peas- was itching horribly.

Can I give him a raw (or even cooked) piece of Salmon or Tuna right now? I need to get him eating. The Vets said soft food for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Blue had surgery two days ago to correct his cherry eye. He also had his soft palate reduced, and tonsils and saccules removed.

The Vets said to feed him wet food but if that wasn't possible, to add water to the dry so it can soften up.
Well, he won't eat his dry food with water. He smells it and walks away. So I've been hand feeding him 2 kibble of dry at a time, but it's taking so long, and he's on anti anxiety meds so he doesn't have the strength to get through a meal, and just winds up walking away to fall asleep.
As of now, his total intake has been less than a cup of food since last night.
He's on various meds. and needs to eat!! I'm getting worried.

What can I do?? He's on Fromm four star (grain free) Salmon Tunalini right now. He can't eat anything with Beef as he starts to itch his face right away. Same thing when he was on Pork and Peas- was itching horribly.

Can I give him a raw (or even cooked) piece of Salmon or Tuna right now? I need to get him eating. The Vets said soft food for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

I would boil up some turkey and cook up some rice and mix them together and give to that Blueberry. Poor guy. He's probably super sore.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
His throat is probably very sore poor guy :(. I have never had this surgery but maybe put the food in some hot water, let it sit for 15 minutes, and put it in the blender. Then you can take a syringe and feed him with it?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:heartsign:Hi, poor baby. I would think since Blue just had surgery two days ago, his throat, tonsils, and soft palate must be very sore, so it makes sense that he might not feel like eating anything right now. Plus he's sleepy and dopey from all the pain medications he is on, so doesn't feel much like eating. A soft, bland diet would be perfect for him, cook up some salmon, or other protein that he tolerates, such as turkey, with cooked rice, and feed him smaller amounts more often throughout the day, until he's either off the medication, or until his post surgery follow up appointment with the vet. Try feeding him a 1/4 cup 3 or 4 times a day, so he is still getting 2 cups a day, just in smaller portions, and see how he does.
Hoping Blue heals quickly, and feels better soon. Sending love, hugs and prayers to you and Blue. Feel better buddy. Please keep us posted on how he's doing. Take care.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I'd love to do Turkey (as it's way cheaper than salmon or tuna steak..lol) but he's never had it. I'm scared that if he reacts to it, he'll scratch the stitches right out. When he's better, I'm gonna give the Turkey a try.
Will do the blender method right now though. I don't have a syringe, but maybe he'll slurp it up.
Also, I just called hubs and asked him pick up a piece of tuna and salmon on his way home. If the blender method doesn't work, will try cooking it. If the blender method does work, Chris and I will have a tasty dinner :) .

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
These have been excellent suggestions especially the blender idea
and feeding several, smaller meals.

Cami & I send very soft hugs & kisses to Blue & get well fast wishes!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] thank you :)

I tried the blender method that [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] suggested. I'm so frazzled right now I didn't even realize using my immersion blender with his Kibble is a terrible idea. Spent half an hour cleaning my kitchen. Anyway, I ended up blending it in a normal blender but he wouldn't touch it. What a picky bulldog. So back to hand feeding. He ate a little of his kibble, had some water and is now sitting on the couch unsure what to do. I didn't give him his dose of anxiety medication. Hoping I won't need to until tonight.

Here's what he looks like today..

View attachment 56436

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I suggest you buy some Nutrigel or something like that. You can google it and find it from different manufactures. I always have it in the house for the times that my bullies don't eat for any reason.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
View attachment 56436

Awwww...that's just not right...seeing Blue so blue :(

You know, when I've had the cone on my dogs, a couple
just shut down completely until it was removed! Add a
weird feeling med and extreme soreness to his mix, I'd
probably not eat either! Maybe another day will make a
big difference, he may still have some anesthesia in him
too. Sending hugs to YOU of sympathy & comfort and
hoping he feels better real quick!
:hug:

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I suggest you buy some Nutrigel or something like that. You can google it and find it from different manufactures. I always have it in the house for the times that my bullies don't eat for any reason.

Hi Riisi, thanks for the suggestion.
Just googled it. I think it's exactly what Blue needs right now. But only ONCE place here carries it and I have no idea who they are. Think I'll chance it anyway and order.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
View attachment 56436

Awwww...that's just not right...seeing Blue so blue :(

You know, when I've had the cone on my dogs, a couple
just shut down completely until it was removed! Add a
weird feeling med and extreme soreness to his mix, I'd
probably not eat either! Maybe another day will make a
big difference, he may still have some anesthesia in him
too. Sending hugs to YOU of sympathy & comfort and
hoping he feels better real quick!
:hug:

Blue's the same. He usually shuts down when there's a collar (or anything) around his neck. I took the cone off to see if he would eat but nothing changed. I even kept it off for a bit, hoping he'd snap out of it but it didn't work. :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Texas Carol thank you :)

I tried the blender method that @desertskybulldogs suggested. I'm so frazzled right now I didn't even realize using my immersion blender with his Kibble is a terrible idea. Spent half an hour cleaning my kitchen. Anyway, I ended up blending it in a normal blender but he wouldn't touch it. What a picky bulldog. So back to hand feeding. He ate a little of his kibble, had some water and is now sitting on the couch unsure what to do. I didn't give him his dose of anxiety medication. Hoping I won't need to until tonight.

Here's what he looks like today..

View attachment 56436

What a beautiful picture!! good luck and I hope you get him to eat..... when our boys had their surgeries for this... it was chicken and rice for at least 5/6 days and that was all I could get Nitschke to eat -- Cheli, well, heis a vacuum cleaner and will eat anything

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thank you :)

It looks like it's gonna be tuna steak for him tonight. Lucky dog, he'll be eating better than me.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Aww bless him xxx
I cant add anything else to the excellent advise given
I just wanted to wish him speedy recovery xx

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.