Help with bullies food - diarrhea :-(

Nikkibg

Aug 24, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
We bought our 4 year old bulldog approximately 4 weeks ago from a family that was moving and couldn't take her with them. They got her from a english bulldog rescue in Florida. They claimed she had no issues. But ever since we have gotten her she has had diarrhea. They told me they were feeding her beneful..nasty. And before we got her I contacted her vet and they said she didn't have any medical issues and was up to date on her shots. When we got her they didn't send any of her current food along so we did a cold transfer to my other dogs food which was 4health chicken and rice. The diarrhea continued for over a week so I then tried boiling chicken and rice. The diarrhea continued. I have tried pumpkin which didn't make any difference and have been giving her yogurt to try and get her digestive tract back on track. Nothing has helped. So approximately a week and a half ago I bought her fromms pork and applesauce and she has been on this since. She still has diarrhea :-( I also just bought the supplement perfect form to help with her digestion issues and she won't touch it. This past week I decided to call the rescue that the people got her from to see if they knew of any issues as the previous owners are still saying she had no pooping issues. The rescue said they did not know of any issues with her but didn't have her for long before she went to the foster.
As a side note I did take her to the vet and they wormed her and gave her meds for a double ear infection. We haven't noticed any other health issues. Her skin is a little red but nothing extreme and she doesn't seem to scratch a lot.
Whew! Sorry so windy but I am not sure what to do next. You all seem so knowledgable. Any advice?!

Erinbarin

May 3, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper, 4 & Penelope, 1
Give her time. She's just had her whole life turned upside down. I'm sure you'll give her a wonderful home, but the only family she's ever known just left her. Pumpkin actually makes them go, so I wouldn't give her any more. Ask your vet about pepto Bismol tabs, when mine get the diarrhea, 1 pepto chewable does the trick, but talk to a vet knowledgable about bulldogs and their issues. You should ease her in to any diet, especially if she's eaten garbage for 4 yrs.

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George
Have you tried just rice? We will give ours rice cooked with chicken or beef broth instead of water and give it to them warm so its more palatable. Graduaaly start adding back in the kibble..a good one!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would say that the meds plus all the changes are the main culprit for the diarrhea... you could take a :poo: sample to the vet & have him check it for any parasites!!! Good luck & keep us posted...

OP
Nikkibg

Nikkibg

Aug 24, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thanks I may try the rice and add the kibble slowly. She is the biggest sweetheart I just can't understand how people keep abandoning her! I just want to her be happy, healthy and to realize she is now in a permanent safe home. Thanks for all your advice!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks I may try the rice and add the kibble slowly. She is the biggest sweetheart I just can't understand how people keep abandoning her! I just want to her be happy, healthy and to realize she is now in a permanent safe home. Thanks for all your advice!!

Nikki, she will realize all this, I've adopted 2 bullies needing homes (at different times)
and while both were sweet & fit in fairly easily, it took both about 4 months to really trust
this WAS home and to really open up their hearts. I'm surprised they can do it at all, my
1st bully, Brutus had been rehomed 4 or 5 times and was just 4 y/o...a great dog too!

She's probably reacting to all the changes, most bullies are very sensitive to change even
for the better. Just be patient, calm, loving & let her adjust at her own pace. When she
feels safe, her real personality will shine thru and her love for you will be amazing and
will touch you so very deeply. Thank you so much for giving her a forever home, GOD bless
you! Let us know how it goes...keeping y'all in prayer.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As otheres have stated.. all the changes and the antibiotic will do it to her too. Chicken tends to cause hiss with Bullies so it could be that too. One thing at a time, give her the bland diet for a week and slowly transition to the food you want (Fromm or what ever).

Thank you for giving her a new home!!

OP
Nikkibg

Nikkibg

Aug 24, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Well we are still dealing with runny poo. She has been on natural balance venison and sweet potatos going on 3 weeks now. I took a stool sample to the vet and they tested for parasites/worms/giarrdea which all is negative. I am giving her a human probiotic daily. She at times will go in her crate at night and during the day. She doesn't seem to be ill or losing weight. Any other suggestions? I am hoping there is a end in sight!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well we are still dealing with runny poo. She has been on natural balance venison and sweet potatos going on 3 weeks now. I took a stool sample to the vet and they tested for parasites/worms/giarrdea which all is negative. I am giving her a human probiotic daily. She at times will go in her crate at night and during the day. She doesn't seem to be ill or losing weight. Any other suggestions? I am hoping there is a end in sight!

Any chance of overfeeding? No signs of allergies?

OP
Nikkibg

Nikkibg

Aug 24, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
No I don't think we are over feeding. As far as allergies her skin is a little flaky but we have been having to do frequent baths due to the messes in her cage. I am just at a loss :-( not sure what to do next

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
Seems like the vet would have given a course of Metronidazole just to be safe for possible gastritis or IBS. I have been thru that with my 5 yr old boy and usually he gets that and the probiotics from the vet. Try feeding rice made with broth until it clears up. Poor baby and poor you! No fun for anyone 😢

Heather, Bandit and the Kozmo Monster
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Nikkibg

Nikkibg

Aug 24, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I think I will call the vet and ask about them prescribing that. I am thinking it may be ibs. I can't figure out what else would be the problem. I have started primarily feeding her rice and it seems to be helping some. Thanks for the advice :-)

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
My pup got into a potato bin and one was rotton, he had diarrhea for days took him to vet and he prescribed that med and I could see his poop firming up right away. It took about 4 days to get a good firm stool. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
Nikkibg

Nikkibg

Aug 24, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I will definitely call them tomorrow to check on this. Thanks again. Will keep you updated

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.