Anything you would not recommend

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Ok so I did some research on some dog foods that are chicken and grain free. Is there any on this list that you would NOT recommend.

Natural Balance ( LID)
- Sweet potato and bison, Lamb Meal and Brown rice, Legume and Duck meal, Potato and duck, potato and rabbit.

Blue Basics
- Turkey and potato (puppy formula)

Acana
- grasslands, ranchlands, Duck and bartlett pear, lamb and okanagan apple

Instinct ( LID)
turkey meal formula, lamb meal, duck meal, rabbit meal

EVO
- Red meat formula

California Natura
l- Lamb meal, Kangaroo and red lentils, Venison and Green Lentils

Fromm
- Pork and peas, Beef frittata and vegetables

I'm just not sure whats the best way to go. He is on taste of the wild but Southwest Canyon Canine formula, But he's not as interested in it and that's the only one he can have of taste of the wild because all the other ones have chicken or chicken meal in them. Also i heard its ok to switch flavors of dog foods ( not the brand, just the flavors) to give them a variety...true or not?

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
well, the natural balance LID - lamb meal and brown rice isn't grain free. I've had the boys on the Instinct LID rabbit meal, they loved it and the Fromm Beef Frittata. Currently they are on Earthborne Holistic Meadowfeast. All of Earthborne are grain free and potato free (yeast issues with potatoes). The only advice I can give is what works for one bully won't work for another so it's all trial and error. I tried the TOTW Southwest Canyon (the boar meat) and Remy started licking his paws and all the dogs had crazy gas so back to Earthborne I went. I have no yeasty paws, no tear stains, poo's are nice and firm and no gas.

And yes, you can switch flavors within the same dog food without worrying about transitioning

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
yes, chesty on taste of the wild and has awful gas and he poo's a lot with taste of the wild. And I understand what might work for one might not work for another i'm just having a hard time trying to find something he likes. I'm going to look into the Earthborne Holistic and the Formm brands. And thanks (:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
You're welcome. I keep trying different brands just because I think I would get bored eating the same thing day in/day out but the dogs don't seem to have an issue.

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
yeah he was on Natural Balance sweet potato and bison and he liked it but after 3 bags of dog food he was done eating it so i did taste of the wild and now hes over that so it looks like i'm going to be going on a food hunt for him..since he's being a stinker and picky about his dog food. lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
well, the natural balance LID - lamb meal and brown rice isn't grain free. I've had the boys on the Instinct LID rabbit meal, they loved it and the Fromm Beef Frittata. Currently they are on Earthborne Holistic Meadowfeast. All of Earthborne are grain free and potato free (yeast issues with potatoes). The only advice I can give is what works for one bully won't work for another so it's all trial and error. I tried the TOTW Southwest Canyon (the boar meat) and Remy started licking his paws and all the dogs had crazy gas so back to Earthborne I went. I have no yeasty paws, no tear stains, poo's are nice and firm and no gas.

And yes, you can switch flavors within the same dog food without worrying about transitioning

great advice!!

I have my two on Fromm Pork and Peas, we were using Beef Fritatta for about 2 years and I sometime threw in some Game Bird, but Pork and Peas has been the best for our girl.... for now ;)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Another option for variety is to top the kibble with wet food of the same brand.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ours do well on FROMM Pork and Peas, but it really depends on your bully as to what he likes and what agrees with him. It's just trial and error.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.