What should I try

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Chesty has allergies so he is on a grain free diet and the vet said he also may have an allergy to chicken so to remove that from his diet. I did and he seems to be doing better. Right now he is on Taste of the Wild Southwest canyon canine formula. Its grain and chicken free but i worry about cross contamination and he doesn't seem as interested in it...any ideas what would be good to try? and preferably small kernel dog food because chesty does not like to chew his food.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
A lot of members on here feed their bullies From the Fromms line of foods, there are 4 flavours to choose from. We feed our two guys the Fromms Beef Frittata, as Blossom is allergic to chicken and salmon. They both do really well on this food.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our girl is allergic to chicken and suffers from yeast issues so I need to avoid white potato and chicken... went with Fromm pork and Peas and she is doing great, there are other good foods out there too. You can look at our dog food ratings list and [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] may be able to help you find a good choice too

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Chesty has allergies so he is on a grain free diet and the vet said he also may have an allergy to chicken so to remove that from his diet. I did and he seems to be doing better. Right now he is on Taste of the Wild Southwest canyon canine formula. Its grain and chicken free but i worry about cross contamination and he doesn't seem as interested in it...any ideas what would be good to try? and preferably small kernel dog food because chesty does not like to chew his food.

I use Blue Buffalo, Grain Free, Salmon for both of mine, The kibbles are small, and my finicky eater Rocky even loves this food. Did you do the slow switch over to the new food?

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
yes i did the slow switch over he has been on Taste of the wild for a few months now...but seems to be getting bored with it. He hated the Fish flavored food he went 5 days without eating..so i did taste of the wild and natural balance sweet potato and bison. but someone recommend taste of the wild. but hes not very interested in it. so i was going to try the Formm dog food depending on how expensive it is at the Agway by house...do you have any other suggestions for me?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok well since he is on beef protein and doing well perhaps its best to stay with that. fromm beef fritatta is a good choice as is acana ranchlands. there is merrick real texas beef and sweet potato and spring naturals grain free beef. natures variety instinct has a beef and lamb formula and they are an excellent food as well. i hope you find something he likes better

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Beef frittata here as well. Rocco would get very loose stools with any food chicken flavored. No problems since the switch!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ours are doing well on FROMM Pork and Peas.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ruggles and Buster now both eat Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Turkey. Ruggles is allergic to chicken, pork, beef , lamb, corn, rice, potatoes, dairy and eggs!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
It's been a while since I fed kibble but last year, Earthborn Holistics was cheaper than Fromm or Blue Buffalo. I fed Earthborn's Primitive Natural.

Another option for varying the taste without changing food is to top the kibble with quality wet food.

Now, as far as the kibble size is concerned, it's not a good idea to give small sized kibbles to a bully. Especially if he tends to not chew his kibble. Small sized kibbles can be a choking hazard to a big dog as lumps of small kibbles hit the back of the throat all at once. Also encouraging the dog to not chew his kibble can increase the risk for bloat. And lastly, the dog loses the mental stimulation and dental benefits of crunching his kibble (however small that benefit may be for kibble fed dogs). I suggest using appropriate sized kibbles for bullies and encouraging the dog to slow down and chew on the food by using slow-feed bowls or dropping a tennis ball in the middle of his bowl.

Hope this helps.

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
i'll have took look into another slow feed bowl the one we found he coulnd't get anything out of it and he just steals the tennis ball out of a regular bowl...he loves his tennis balls. But thank you everyone for your help!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
i'll have took look into another slow feed bowl the one we found he coulnd't get anything out of it and he just steals the tennis ball out of a regular bowl...he loves his tennis balls. But thank you everyone for your help!

Or if you have a contained area, you can just put the food spread on the floor... or a towel... Oh, this is the funniest thing to see. Having my bullies eat kibble off the floor. They turn their noses almost upside down to grab a kibble. LOL.

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
hahaha yeah it is...he just started taking dog food from his bowl and spiting it on the floor then eating it off the floor its actually very funny. so i can only imagine how funny it is when there is more than just a few kernels of dog food on the floor. but that's a very good idea for slowing him down while he's eating i never thought of that (:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.