could we be allergic to pumpkin?

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
So we are still tweeking Khaleesi's diet. I've been trying to cut back on the volume of kibble she eats, but I think we may still be over feeding her. Husband thinks 1 &1/4 cup a day is starving her, so I think he may tend to be feeding her a bit more. She's still having soft poo syndrome, so today I gave her a little bit of pumpkin just to see how she did. About 45 minutes later she left me a GIANT gift in the hallway and I noticed that her little face was more pink than normal, as was the inside of her ears. (it wasn't pumpkin pie filling)
She did go to puppy class today, so it's possible that someone gave her a treat that didn't agree with her, but that was earlier today and she'd been fine up until just now.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She could be allergic to pumpkin, but I haven't heard of one being allergic to it, but anything is possible. How old is your pup?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
At 16 weeks of age we were feeding our pup about 2/3 cup or a little more 3 times a day, but she weighed 26 lbs then too. Now she is fixing to be 18 weeks old and weighs 29 lbs. and we are feeding about 3/4 cup 3 times a day.

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Thanks guys....She's definitely not feeling well. Got up this am and had 2 hefty poops and then came in and hid behind one of my arm chairs and acted like she wanted to vomit but didn't. She's moving pretty slow too. Normally she's ready to play this early, but today she just climbed up in my lap and laid down. :( But at least her face and ears are clear this morning.

Becky, I hope your daughter figures out her pups issue soon too! Poor little guy!

Last edited:
OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
At 16 weeks of age we were feeding our pup about 2/3 cup or a little more 3 times a day, but she weighed 26 lbs then too. Now she is fixing to be 18 weeks old and weighs 29 lbs. and we are feeding about 3/4 cup 3 times a day.

Wow, 26 lbs at 16 weeks! I'm not positive how much Khaleesi weighs this week, but at the vet a couple of weeks ago she was only 17 lbs!!

ETA: Now that I think about it.....judging by how much she gained between 10 weeks to 14 weeks, we could be close to that weight soon too!

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Pumpkin is in the same family as cucumbers, squash and melons so yeah, you can be allergic to it. I use slippery elm when my guys are stuck. It works for both diarrhea and constipation. Because of the way it coats the digestive system, be sure to give it either an hour before or 2 hours after food or medicine.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes as i can tell you these bullies can be allergic to anything so yea could be pumpkin. kinda hard to know unless you feed it again when they feel better.

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
I tried feeding it to her again yesterday. Immediately her little muzzle looked a little pink as well as the inside of her ears....but it was just barely this time. Nothing as prominent as before. (I have a hard time knowing if I was imagining it or not) but Hours later she was going crazy scratching and whimpering at her back right paw. I've never seen her do that before, and pumpkin was the only thing that she'd had out of the ordinary. Dare I try it one more time just in case? I'm so reluctant to switch her food for fear of something worse than what she's got going on happening. But as of right now I'm rationing her food really strictly, and she's acting as if she's starving to death!

As far as slippery elm, I have no idea what it is, but I'm assuming I can just ask someone at the health food store...and would I follow directions as far as how much to give and how often?
Thank you everyone for the great advice! I don't know what I'd do without you all!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tried feeding it to her again yesterday. Immediately her little muzzle looked a little pink as well as the inside of her ears....but it was just barely this time. Nothing as prominent as before. (I have a hard time knowing if I was imagining it or not) but Hours later she was going crazy scratching and whimpering at her back right paw. I've never seen her do that before, and pumpkin was the only thing that she'd had out of the ordinary. Dare I try it one more time just in case? I'm so reluctant to switch her food for fear of something worse than what she's got going on happening. But as of right now I'm rationing her food really strictly, and she's acting as if she's starving to death!

As far as slippery elm, I have no idea what it is, but I'm assuming I can just ask someone at the health food store...and would I follow directions as far as how much to give and how often?
Thank you everyone for the great advice! I don't know what I'd do without you all!

I would not give any more pumpkin.... follow Twice advice and see how it goes.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.