Fresh pumpkin..

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
I was reading about being careful with pumpkin because of the carotene and Vitamin A, and it's toxicity. It said to feed pure canned pumpkin, not raw pumpkin. But what about fresh pumpkin that you cook up and mash? Is that OK?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am not 100% sure on this one either but I have to say my boys ate plenty of raw pumpkin at halloween when we cleaned the pumpkin and they loved it and I didnt see any bad changes. Have always given our dogs scraps of it when we cleaned out the pumpkins but I dont know for sure. We also used to feed grapes like crazy back in the day not knowing too.:whistle:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
i dont know anything about this either, i wouldnt see a problem with it since its raw

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
O would imagine you would cook alot of the vitamins out of it. Just like everything... moderation is the key word. Pumpkin is good for dogs that have diarrhea... So I imagine it is safe for them to eat cooked.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
My bully's breeder advised me not to give pumpkin except for one reason and then only pure unspiced canned pumpkin.
That is if she is having digestive issue or diarrhea . Pumpkin will seize a bully up quick and if my Pepper gets the $hits I give her a tablespoon of canned UNSPICED pumpkin to tighten her bowels so to speak. She will go a day or so with no bowel movement which gives me the time to give her a bit of boiled hamburger and rice so to take care of the runs and give her firm stools.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.