Should I switch foods?

DixieKooper09

Aug 8, 2013
Oceanside, California, United States ( Native Sout
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie and Kooper
My bully kooper is doing good with his stool, but i still notice a little redness on the skin under his neck and around his muzzle. Tear stains arent really that bad. He is on Fromm sweet potato and whatever else it is. Now that i think about it, i wonder if maybe kind of Fromm is keeping his skin irritated. he is suffering from mites on his skin which is leaving patchy places on his back which he is taking medication for, but i wouldnt think his skin would still be red after taking the medications, plus he doesnt itch under his neck so IDK....i just bought two 30lbs bags of his current food so now im kinda in a pickle with the dog food issue! lol

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
What I am noticing is his stool is usually softer in the morning after he eats. Other times it is firm. I wonder if it's due to the timing of when I take him out.

This timeline is based on my results over the past week since switching him to Pork and Peas from the Beef Frittata and eliminating the daily Benadryl. My typical day starts with getting him up and taking him out about 7:00 am. His stool is usually firm and sometimes really firm. After that I bring him in and feed him his breakfast. Then my kid Daddy duties kick in, get kid dressed fed and dropped off at school. When I get back it's about 8:30 and I take the dogs out for their morning walk. This is the time his stool is occasionally soft. I take him outside various times throughout the day based on if he shows signs of needing to go out. He sometimes drop a load during the afternoon which is usually firm. Around 6:30-7:00 I take him for his 2nd walk of the day. This time his load is firm. We come back and he is fed 1 cup of food. By 8:30 he is done for the day and is sleep in his crate. At 11:00 I wake him up and take him out for his last time of the day and this has been firm as well. So I am thinking that maybe the issue is with the timing of his first walk is close to his morning meal.

I am guessing I should continue with the new flavor, Pork and Peas, for a while and see what happens. For the record I do see an improvement over the beef. I just want to be sure I am not just settling for better results but am actually getting what is considered ideal results.

You do know that it takes about 4-5 weeks for their systems to completely
clear out the old food? So until he's been on the Pork & Peas another 3-4 weeks
and off the old Beef Frittata that long can you determine results, good or bad.

As Pati said, stop giving BEEF jerkey if you think he's having problems w/beef.
I'd give no treats or toppings of any kind until a month has gone by, just 1 cup
twice daily of Pork & Peas.

And yes, stop giving Benadryl too. Let us know how he does!

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
You do know that it takes about 4-5 weeks for their systems to completely
clear out the old food? So until he's been on the Pork & Peas another 3-4 weeks
and off the old Beef Frittata that long can you determine results, good or bad.

As Pati said, stop giving BEEF jerkey if you think he's having problems w/beef.
I'd give no treats or toppings of any kind until a month has gone by, just 1 cup
twice daily of Pork & Peas.

And yes, stop giving Benadryl too. Let us know how he does!

I just ordered the big bag of the Pork n Peas. I going to have to be patient on this one.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I just ordered the big bag of the Pork n Peas. I going to have to be patient on this one.

Lol...you can do it...just 21 days and hopefully (fingers & paws crossed)

it's THE ONE...Yea! Let us know how it works out...GOD bless!

Tyson55

Feb 11, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
I know all dogs are different and react different to their allergies...but my 3yr old bulldog has severe allergies. They effect his coat, tear stains, interdigital cysts,hyperkeratosis, bowel movements etc. I think you should most definitely switch. My bulldog is White and to further complicate matters...has epilepsy....We started home feeding because of the epilepsy..because I am convinced he is very sensitive to chemicals. Long story short...it was a constant battle, the vet was not helpful...insisted we changed foods, then insisted we try Hills prescription for allergies. End result after trying tons of foods...nothing was working(he gets bald spots....that is how we know he is allergic) we learned that they can be allergic to the protein....because it is so processed and filled with chemicals...there body can process it right. So yes my dog was allergic to all the protein dog foods...salmon, chicken beef, kangaroo. But he can eat real meat, chicken. We tried Raw and it was very successful. But we ended up with a homemade chicken meatloaf. Its no more money then an expensive dog food. MY dog has pure white folds with no stains, never gets cysts, or the hyperkeratosis, no ear infections, etc. I am so against dog foods...I can see the effects after one feeding if he had any. I will never go back. Good luck
What are you feeding ? I'm doing salmon and carrots, zucchini .

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.