Should I switch foods?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have been giving him 1 cup twice a day. The thing that confuses me is some days is solid with out any issues and others it is not. I feed him just about the same time every day and walk him about the same time every day. As far as the tear stain I have been using With Hazel and Duoxo pads.

That doesn't seem like too much..that's what Jake gets. It is strange it's inconsistent...hoping Sandra [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] will check in!

wgwe5

Jun 12, 2013
West Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer aka "Fat Boy"
I just started Dozer on Fromm pork and peas. He had been natures logic lamb and did pretty well on it but I wanted to do better if I could.I tried nature's variety salmon thinking it might help with his skin and shedding but it did not agree with him at all. Tear stains showed up and it gave him diarrhea. So far so good on the pork and peas. Witch hazel wipes work good to help clear up the tear stains. I wish you well, you have a fine looking dog.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have been giving him 1 cup twice a day. The thing that confuses me is some days is solid with out any issues and others it is not. I feed him just about the same time every day and walk him about the same time every day. As far as the tear stain I have been using With Hazel and Duoxo pads.

i had a lot of those issues with cheli when we first got him.... Beef Frittata is what he was on, then Pork and Peas came out and I switched because there is no white potato, which is great for Banks. They are both doing well on it. Banks is also allergic to chicken and has sensitivity to salmon.

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
One thing I failed to mention is that I give him Benadryl every morning. I noticed in another thread someone else is having a similar issue. I had no idea Benadryl could cause this problem. I'll start with not giving him any and see how it goes. Hopefully I will eliminate one issue but I may still have the tear stain issue. If that is the case I guess the flavor switch would be next. If I switch the flavor can I just switch with out the slow transition since it's Fromms to Fromms?

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?30510-Side-Effects-of-Benadryl

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
How long does it take to know if a flavor switch will correct all your issues? Should it be almost instant since it's still the same brand and not a complete food change. I switched to the Pork and Peas about a week ago and I have seen some improvements but I still have been getting an occasional soft stool. Should I continue on Fromm or should I try a different food like Earthborn.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Do you feed your baby anything else besides his kibble? (Treats ,add ons etc?)
When you switch food you should do it gradually ,when i switch food i do it over the few weeks x

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I feed him Wellness Core Venison Jerky treats, but not every day.
I thought with Fromm you can switch flavors without the gradual change.

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
I think with from yes(i think so -im in uk we dont have this food) ,but i would cut jerky completely (or any other treats) to rule out what can cause your baby soft stools xx

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
He has the occasional soft stools even when I cut out the treats so I'm not sure if the new flavor isn't doing the trick or he stilll has some residual issues from the beef.

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
He has the occasional soft stools even when I cut out the treats so I'm not sure if the new flavor isn't doing the trick or he stilll has some residual issues from the beef.

Have you considered switching brand?
Im sure some members will be able to advise you very soon (im useless with US foods xx)

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)

How occasional is occasional?

There are lots of reasons for soft stools, some of which is not caused by the food ingredients itself. For example, stress and hyperactivity can cause loose stools. Other reasons may be environmental allergies, feeding schedule (too close or too far), feed amount, etc. There's also parasites, bacteria and the like.

If it is occasional, then there might not be cause for concern. If it's chronic and you've eliminated the common reasons, then a stool sample to the vet might be in order.

Hope this helps.

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
What I am noticing is his stool is usually softer in the morning after he eats. Other times it is firm. I wonder if it's due to the timing of when I take him out.

This timeline is based on my results over the past week since switching him to Pork and Peas from the Beef Frittata and eliminating the daily Benadryl. My typical day starts with getting him up and taking him out about 7:00 am. His stool is usually firm and sometimes really firm. After that I bring him in and feed him his breakfast. Then my kid Daddy duties kick in, get kid dressed fed and dropped off at school. When I get back it's about 8:30 and I take the dogs out for their morning walk. This is the time his stool is occasionally soft. I take him outside various times throughout the day based on if he shows signs of needing to go out. He sometimes drop a load during the afternoon which is usually firm. Around 6:30-7:00 I take him for his 2nd walk of the day. This time his load is firm. We come back and he is fed 1 cup of food. By 8:30 he is done for the day and is sleep in his crate. At 11:00 I wake him up and take him out for his last time of the day and this has been firm as well. So I am thinking that maybe the issue is with the timing of his first walk is close to his morning meal.

I am guessing I should continue with the new flavor, Pork and Peas, for a while and see what happens. For the record I do see an improvement over the beef. I just want to be sure I am not just settling for better results but am actually getting what is considered ideal results.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
[MENTION=6409]BullyDozer[/MENTION] I haven't been around for the past week and just saw this thread. I am having the same problem with Fromm's Beef Fritatta..soft poop. Ive also noticed him scratching and an increase in shedding. I tried the pork and peas prior to this but switched to beef because he also had diarrhea on that. I have to switch but don't know what brand to try next.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online