Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I switch foods?

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Should I switch foods?

He has the occasional soft stools even when I cut out the treats so I'm not sure if the new flavor isn't doing the trick or he stilll has some residual issues from the beef.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BullyDozer View Post
    He has the occasional soft stools even when I cut out the treats so I'm not sure if the new flavor isn't doing the trick or he stilll has some residual issues from the beef.
    Have you considered switching brand?
    Im sure some members will be able to advise you very soon (im useless with US foods xx)
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

How occasional is occasional?

There are lots of reasons for soft stools, some of which is not caused by the food ingredients itself. For example, stress and hyperactivity can cause loose stools. Other reasons may be environmental allergies, feeding schedule (too close or too far), feed amount, etc. There's also parasites, bacteria and the like.

If it is occasional, then there might not be cause for concern. If it's chronic and you've eliminated the common reasons, then a stool sample to the vet might be in order.

Hope this helps.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

What I am noticing is his stool is usually softer in the morning after he eats. Other times it is firm. I wonder if it's due to the timing of when I take him out.

This timeline is based on my results over the past week since switching him to Pork and Peas from the Beef Frittata and eliminating the daily Benadryl. My typical day starts with getting him up and taking him out about 7:00 am. His stool is usually firm and sometimes really firm. After that I bring him in and feed him his breakfast. Then my kid Daddy duties kick in, get kid dressed fed and dropped off at school. When I get back it's about 8:30 and I take the dogs out for their morning walk. This is the time his stool is occasionally soft. I take him outside various times throughout the day based on if he shows signs of needing to go out. He sometimes drop a load during the afternoon which is usually firm. Around 6:30-7:00 I take him for his 2nd walk of the day. This time his load is firm. We come back and he is fed 1 cup of food. By 8:30 he is done for the day and is sleep in his crate. At 11:00 I wake him up and take him out for his last time of the day and this has been firm as well. So I am thinking that maybe the issue is with the timing of his first walk is close to his morning meal.

I am guessing I should continue with the new flavor, Pork and Peas, for a while and see what happens. For the record I do see an improvement over the beef. I just want to be sure I am not just settling for better results but am actually getting what is considered ideal results.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

@BullyDozer I haven't been around for the past week and just saw this thread. I am having the same problem with Fromm's Beef Fritatta..soft poop. Ive also noticed him scratching and an increase in shedding. I tried the pork and peas prior to this but switched to beef because he also had diarrhea on that. I have to switch but don't know what brand to try next.

Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    USA
    Oceanside, California, United States ( Native South East Texan)
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dixie and Kooper
    Likes (Received)

My bully kooper is doing good with his stool, but i still notice a little redness on the skin under his neck and around his muzzle. Tear stains arent really that bad. He is on Fromm sweet potato and whatever else it is. Now that i think about it, i wonder if maybe kind of Fromm is keeping his skin irritated. he is suffering from mites on his skin which is leaving patchy places on his back which he is taking medication for, but i wouldnt think his skin would still be red after taking the medications, plus he doesnt itch under his neck so IDK....i just bought two 30lbs bags of his current food so now im kinda in a pickle with the dog food issue! lol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

What I am noticing is his stool is usually softer in the morning after he eats. Other times it is firm. I wonder if it's due to the timing of when I take him out.

This timeline is based on my results over the past week since switching him to Pork and Peas from the Beef Frittata and eliminating the daily Benadryl. My typical day starts with getting him up and taking him out about 7:00 am. His stool is usually firm and sometimes really firm. After that I bring him in and feed him his breakfast. Then my kid Daddy duties kick in, get kid dressed fed and dropped off at school. When I get back it's about 8:30 and I take the dogs out for their morning walk. This is the time his stool is occasionally soft. I take him outside various times throughout the day based on if he shows signs of needing to go out. He sometimes drop a load during the afternoon which is usually firm. Around 6:30-7:00 I take him for his 2nd walk of the day. This time his load is firm. We come back and he is fed 1 cup of food. By 8:30 he is done for the day and is sleep in his crate. At 11:00 I wake him up and take him out for his last time of the day and this has been firm as well. So I am thinking that maybe the issue is with the timing of his first walk is close to his morning meal.

I am guessing I should continue with the new flavor, Pork and Peas, for a while and see what happens. For the record I do see an improvement over the beef. I just want to be sure I am not just settling for better results but am actually getting what is considered ideal results.
    You do know that it takes about 4-5 weeks for their systems to completely
    clear out the old food? So until he's been on the Pork & Peas another 3-4 weeks
    and off the old Beef Frittata that long can you determine results, good or bad.

As Pati said, stop giving BEEF jerkey if you think he's having problems w/beef.
    I'd give no treats or toppings of any kind until a month has gone by, just 1 cup
    twice daily of Pork & Peas.

And yes, stop giving Benadryl too. Let us know how he does!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    You do know that it takes about 4-5 weeks for their systems to completely
    clear out the old food? So until he's been on the Pork & Peas another 3-4 weeks
    and off the old Beef Frittata that long can you determine results, good or bad.

As Pati said, stop giving BEEF jerkey if you think he's having problems w/beef.
    I'd give no treats or toppings of any kind until a month has gone by, just 1 cup
    twice daily of Pork & Peas.

And yes, stop giving Benadryl too. Let us know how he does!
    I just ordered the big bag of the Pork n Peas. I going to have to be patient on this one.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

I just ordered the big bag of the Pork n Peas. I going to have to be patient on this one.
    Lol...you can do it...just 21 days and hopefully (fingers & paws crossed)

it's THE ONE...Yea! Let us know how it works out...GOD bless!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads