When to switch from puppy to adult food?

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
What is a good age to switch from puppy to adult food? Stella is 4 months and on Fromm puppy gold. When should she go to adult pork and peas or beef frittata? Can the two types of adult flavors be used interchangeably, or do you need a slow change over for each one?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Usually, eight months you can switch to adult. You do not need to slow switch with Fromm grain free line. I tagged a few puppy experts too

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, a good age to switch from Puppy Food to an adult formula is around 6 or 7 months old. It's best to leave your puppy on puppy food until this age because puppy food has the extra calories, vitamins and minerals needed for the rapid growth and development of a puppy. Since you are feeding Fromm's puppy, then you can switch over to the adult formula without having to do a slow transition. Fromm's foods are good for all stages, and the flavours are interchangeable. We switched our two guys to Fromm's Beef Frittata when they were 7 months old, and we also reduced the amount of food they were getting by eliminating the afternoon feeding at this time as well. When they were puppies, we fed them 1 cup three times a day, and then at 7 months, we went to 1 cup two times a day.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I tell everyone to wait to switch for as long as possible, it has a variety of protein and grain as well as some extra fat content and just a great food for a growing puppy.

However, if you would like to switch early that is completely fine too, although it's more lean. I found I was feeding more food to compensate for the weight. Fromm four star is much more lean. The great part is when you do switch you do have the freedom to switch between the other flavors in the four star line, while on Fromm puppy you cannot, it is not in the interchangeable line and therefore it does require a slow switch. Not a super slow one, but one should be done.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We usually wait until they are 7 months old, but I have two 17 week old pups on Pork & Peas right now, only because one stopped eating the FROMM Puppy so we put them on the adult and they are doing well. We weighed Gema today and she weights 28 lbs. :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Our plan was to wait until 6 months to start switching over, but after Harlea developed Pano from growing so quickly we started switching her at 17 weeks after discussing it with our vets (also very knowledgeable bully owners) to see if it will help with the continued flare ups of the condition and she will be fully on Pork and Peas in 2 more weeks. If you can hold off until 6 or 7 months fantastic if not you may just have to feed a bit more as [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] indicated.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.