has anyone tried Science Diet's Metabolic food?

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Hi everyone,

We aren't 100% sure yet but Oliver might be going on Science Diet's Metabolic food. Now that his esophagus issues are getting better, coupled with the super hot weather and his inactivity, he has gained some weight. He is now 68 pounds and is almost 3 years old and obviously, we want him to be healthy! (I should note that he comes from a BIG family. His Dad was 65 pounds at 1 1/2 years and his Mom was 60 pounds at 4 years old.) His measurements were taken the other day for it, inputted into the vet's computer and we were given the specifics of how much of the Metabolic food and treats he would be allowed.

My question is: has anyone tried the Metabolic food? Did you have success?

Our vet merely suggested we keep it as as option if Oliver continues to gain weight. We are hoping as soon as it cools down more, he will get back to being more active outdoors and will lose some weight and we won't even have to take this route.
But I am curious if anyone has had their bully on it and if they lost weight, liked the food, seemed full.

Thanks!

Last edited:

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
ur vet and my vet must be in cahoots together...my vet said the same thing last week. i said no thanks...he does really good on fromm...his chin is clear...i will lay off the treats...try and walk more now that the weather has cooled...jameson came in at 71 pounds after having been 63 last year....

Zoebug

Aug 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moola , Gracie , Gabby and Lula Belle
I actually work for a vet so when they came out with the metabolic diet I thought great I will put my 2 fatties on it. Well they did loose weight but then Gabby started having the runs really bad so we ran all kinds of test and gave her meds to help firm it up and nothing worked. She would walk and poop would just drop out of her so in the end I took her off of the metabolic and her bowels got better so we switched to Fromm. My other girl did fine on it but lost a little to much weight. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
My vet doesn't really push any food just tells me to feed him a premium food. He is nearly two and he is just a few ounces over 60lbs

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Remember..if the vet is pushing it..it isn't necessarily because its a good food. Rather they are getting something from the mfg. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]..what are the ingredients in this..I wonder.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I whole Heartedly agree with Becky, If my Vet pushed a food on me, The first thing I would be wondering is why. When evaluating a Vet, one of the first things I do is scope out his office, and what he sells, Then when I see him push such things, I become very suspicious. Curiosity is your best friend here. My vets office is full of Science Diet, when he seen my Bully, He recommended Blue Buffalo, Said Bullies do very well on this grain free formula. Fromm's is just as good if not better. keep your suspicions, and find out why?? Thats my advice.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if its the hills metabolic food then um no. the problem with grain free foods is they have alot of protein which is great but then they have alot of fat and calories to which is why your bully who is not active can gain weight. people assume its the protein that does it but i do not believe that i think its the fat and calories that do it. grain foods have lower protein and less fat and calories to hence they lose weight or maintain weight on those foods. cut out all treats and cut his food back and fill him up with fiber. some here use green beans as a filler or perhaps as i did add some northern beans or pinto beans to their diet. if i get canned beans i get the plain ones with low salt or i but them in the bag and make them myself. beans must be mashed a bit to so the dog can digest it. here are some high fiber veggies and fruit you can add in place of the kibble.

Beans
Broccoli*
Carrot
Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans
Greens -- collards, kale, turnip greens*
Lima beans
Potato with skin- becareful with yeast with this
Pumpkin, canned
Peas -- black-eyed peas, green peas
Spinach*
Sweet Potatoes

here are some fruits

apples no seeds
bananas
berries-blue black and rasberries

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
[MENTION=8699]Casper[/MENTION] & [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] - As I mentioned in the initial post: our vet did not push this at all, just offered it as an option if we're interested. We used her with our first bully (for 12 1/2 years!) and now with Oliver since we've had him (almost 3 years). We have 15 years with her and she would never, ever, ever push us just to benefit herself/her practice. We love her dearly and she loves us. :)

I honestly believe Oliver has gained weight (63 pounds in January to 68 pounds last week) because we resolved his esophagus issues starting in January and he is keeping his food down regularly now. His past regurgitation issues never caused him to lose TONS of weight, but he did regurgitate at least 5-6 times per week and he no longer does. Our vet also agrees this is the most prominent reason for the weight gain, along with it being a very hot summer and he had very little activity. The last 3 days/nights it has been cool so Oliver has been playing at the park in the morning with his doggie friends and going for walks at night. (he isn't much of a walker but he IS moving a little..lol)
(We took his measurements for the Metabolic diet just so if we do decide, we can just call in and not have to bring him back in for measurements.)
We plan on waiting a few months to see if his increased activity helps him shed a few pounds.
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] - Oliver has always been on a grain-free diet and now his diet is even stricter due to his esophagus issues. We never feed him "people" food, except for a dollop of yogurt and blueberries. He refuses to eat green beans, carrots, and any other veggies. He has no interest in them at all. His diet is pretty basic and "clean".
[MENTION=9726]Zoebug[/MENTION] - I'm glad you replied. Oliver has a super sensitive stomach and my worry is also switching foods & giving him more stomach issues!

As always, thank you all for the replies! It's nice to get input from people who have tried the food and hearing different experiences is always beneficial!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Did your vet tell you to give him a Super B Complex supplement? B boosts the metabolism so it will help with weight loss.

I'll keep my opinions on Science Diet products to myself ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.