Has anyone's dog not done well on Fromms Pork & Peas?

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
I did the slow transition from Taste of the Wild (purple bag) to Fromms Pork & Peas and I don't think it's going well. Gypsy is itching a lot on her neck and has spots on her neck where the fur is thinning. It was concentrated to one side but I noticed today she is starting to itch on the other side.

I'm wondering if I made a mistake switching. She was having a really hard time pooping on TOTW so I thought Fromms would help that. I also thought I was giving her better food.

She's gone thru 2 small bags (4lb) and has been on only Fromms for about a week. I have a 12lb bag that I'm not sure I should open.

Would it be beneficial to switch to Beef Frittata? Should I go back to TOTW cold turkey?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ami

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What protien was the TOTW? May be she has issue with pork....

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH seemed to get more tear stains and licking on P&P so we switched her back to Beef Frittata.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Dudley did okay on it...but he doesn't "like" it...won't touch it now.

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
It could be the peas. I had to take Lucy off of Earthborn Holistics because she was all red and itchy and got yeasty. Peas was pretty high on the ingredient list.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I started Finn on the Fromm's Pork and Peas a few wks ago; noticed he too was starting to itch more so i'm transitioning him to home cooking. Meanwhile, Tate who was on homecooking is now being transitioned to the Pork and Peas and seems to be doing very well with it. Finn doesn't seem to like the taste of the P and P, not sure really, unless i mix it with some homecooking. I'm getting dizzy trying to figure out the food for my boys but i'm hopeful there's a light at the end of this food tunnel!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
3 of my pack do better on beef frittata, the other are on pork and peas. None if them really had any major problems, but less gas or nose rope cleaning but shows what works for one is not perfect for the other :)

Don't go back cold turkey, it will cause stomach upset. But I would transition back and see how it's going. :)

OP
mzza111

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
3 of my pack do better on beef frittata, the other are on pork and peas. None if them really had any major problems, but less gas or nose rope cleaning but shows what works for one is not perfect for the other :)

Don't go back cold turkey, it will cause stomach upset. But I would transition back and see how it's going. :)

Would it be ok to do a cold turkey switch to beef frittata?

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I am watching this post because I just ordered two bags of P & P for my gang. If any itchy or tear stains show up, back to what I know works, Earthborn and/or Beef Frittata

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Would it be ok to do a cold turkey switch to beef frittata?

Yes it would, but if it were me I would want to go back to the other to make sure it wasn't coincidence or an environment or contact allergy. Or you could switch to beef frittata and if that doesn't fair well either then go back to the original food. Either way you will be able to narrow things down.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:gimmefood:We use Fromms Beef Frittata, I tried to give them a new flavour about a month ago, but they don't sell the pork and peas anywhere in my area, they only have applesauce and pork, and that one is not grain free. Blossom is allergic to chicken and salmon, and she is either allergic or sensitive to corn and grains, so we bought Duck and Turkey, and she immediately had a reaction to that flavour, she was itchy, licking her paws, and her ears were red and warm. I took the bag back and exchanged it for the Beef Frittata. I'm not going to switch them again, because they've been on this for 11 months and are doing really great on it. It could be the pork, or the peas causing the reaction in Gypsy. You can try switching her to Fromms Beef Frittata, and you don't have to do a slow transition, as you can interchange any of the Fromms flavours. It can take a month for the old food to completely leave their systems, so you may not see an improvement until then. Good luck finding a food that agrees with Gypsy, so many of our guys are sensitive to many proteins, and what works for one, doesn't always work for another. It's really just trial and error, and when you find a good quality food that works, it's best to stick with it. Keep us posted on how she's doing. Love and hugs.

OP
mzza111

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone! I think I'm in more of a panic mode since I have to open the new bag of food for tonights feeding and when I got home for lunch today was when I noticed the itching on the other side of her neck. I called the store and I can exchange the P&P for Beef Frittata. I may switch back to TOTW after this bag.

Ami

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thanks everyone! I think I'm in more of a panic mode since I have to open the new bag of food for tonights feeding and when I got home for lunch today was when I noticed the itching on the other side of her neck. I called the store and I can exchange the P&P for Beef Frittata. I may switch back to TOTW after this bag.

Ami

We're all learning here and we learn from one another which is what's so special about EBN. I'm still trying to figure out the "ideal" diet for the boys and they're 2.5 years old now. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out my own diet! :sarcastic:

glad your pet store will exchange foods like that. That's a good store!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie didn't do well on it. She had yeasty paws, wet eyes, and was licking her paws like crazy. We've switched her back to Salmon Tunalini as she seems to do best on fishy foods.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.